Smart Choice or other healthy frozen dinners?

Options
Are these acceptable if eaten with vegetables/bread? I know the sodium levels are high but if you sweat a lot then is it ok to have these daily? thanks

Replies

• TrolleyRide
    TrolleyRide Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't matter if you're drinking plenty of water.
  • Boxing987
    Boxing987 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i try to drink more water
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    They're kinda a ripoff, and low quality food.

You might try cooking and freezing ahead your own frozen dinners. Cheaper in bulk and you can avoid all the industrial chemicals they put in that stuff.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I always buy Amy's organic frozen meals. They don't have a ton of chemicals and additives, they don't have a ton of sodium, and they have a lot of flavor! My favorites are the cheese enchiladas, mac and cheese, and the Mexican casserole. They make a good lunch or dinner at around 400 calories, and I snack on cherry tomatoes or carrots and hummus.
  • annabeladcock
    Options
    Recently I've bought myself lots of frozen meals just because I'm very busy and need the convenience. There are many "healthy choice" brands who do meals for 300-500 calories. The two that I go for are weight watchers and tesco healthy living :) Just watch out on the bread - just one slice can add a whole 100 calories :/

EDIT - and of course, the more veggies the better! Last night I had a tesco chicken and tomato pasta bake for around 350 calories and it had lots of hidden veggies in it which I like :) because I'm like a child that way haha, not keen on the veggies...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat a few...I don't see the issue.

If I am pressed for time or calories they work well.

I am partial to lean cuisine chicken and potatoes in wine sauce...216 calories, 14 grams of protien and it's filling for me anyway...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,027 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine now and then.

I wouldn't base my entire diet around them but if you like them and you don't mind the cost and the quick easy convenience is important - not a problem.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They're fine from time to time. It's just that I could eat way more food for the calories... not sure what they put in there sometimes!
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I consume A LOT of sodium. I'm a salt-aholic. Just look at my profile pic lol. But- I sweat a ton too. Last blood test I had--sodium levels were perfect. I love the lean cuisine/weightwatchers/healthy choice meals for work lunches. I just wait until they are on sale.
  • millej30
    millej30 Posts: 17
    Options
    I love my Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers! When I'm making a pot of Mac n cheese for the kids it's much easier to stay away knowing I have chicken linguine or sesame chicken just 4 minutes away. That said I keep it to 1/work day. At home I cook. :-)
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    They're kinda a ripoff, and low quality food.

You might try cooking and freezing ahead your own frozen dinners. Cheaper in bulk and you can avoid all the industrial chemicals they put in that stuff.
    I dislike the Healthy Choice meals, but Lean Cuisine has some decent meals. I usually get their pepperoni pizzas when I am craving pizza.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I also like Amy's Organics. They seem to have more flavor.
    I don't think it's a big deal to eat them particularly when accompanied by veggies or a salad. As long as sodium is not an issue.
    With that said the Hungry Man and Marie Callendas (sp?) brands are soooo super loaded with fat and sodium that I don't respond well to having them often.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My doctor approves of Amy's. I usually don't get home until 7 at night after work so dinner can be a pain. I probably eat Amy's or take out 3-5 nights a week and I'm not dead yet.
  • Boxing987
    Boxing987 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i eat it with potato salad and it fills me but i know the potato salad isnt healthy so i try to limit it
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    i try to avoid any frozen dinners and its helped me get good results thus far, plus being a chef its easy to cook once a week for the entire week, make it healthy and make it taste great
  • paperpudding
    Options
    i try to avoid any frozen dinners and its helped me get good results thus far, plus being a chef its easy to cook once a week for the entire week, make it healthy and make it taste great

That's great for you! :smile:

But not everyone is a chef or enjoys cooking or has cooking skills - for other people, frozen meals now and then can be handy.

I probably average one a fortnight and I've had good results too.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    you would be surprised how easy it is to cook something tasty, besides in my weight loss i have found that having a different relationship with food can be very helpful
  • paperpudding
    Options
    you would be surprised how easy it is to cook something tasty, besides in my weight loss i have found that having a different relationship with food can be very helpful

Well, what some people find easy and enjoy doing, others don't.

I cook lots of times - but sometimes I don't want to and I have a frozen meal.

Not sure what you mean by 'a different relationship with food can be very helpful'
    I think I have a perfectly fine relationship with food - but, like many people, that relationship sometimes includes frozen dinners.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen entrees and just drink the heck out of water each day in order to offset the high sodium content.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a month I cook up recipes that have at least 4 servings (usually on the weekends when I have more time). I portion them in individual containers and stick them in the freezer. If I'm short on time, just stick one in the microwave. I will admit, it takes planning. When I do my grocery list, I go through my recipes to make sure I have what I need. I also grill up a lot of meat. Yesterday I grilled up about 10 chicken breasts, some salmon and turkey burgers. Put them in plastic baggies and put them in the freezer, so if I do decide to cook, I just need to cook up some veggies or make a salad for lunch.