Smart Choice or other healthy frozen dinners?

Options
2»

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I think frozen meals are convenient if you're in a hurry and also a way to control calories, and I prefer Lean Cuisine myself. However, the sodium content really affects me. I did a weigh in one day after eating one of those, and even though I had consumed under my targets, my weight went up almost 2 lbs., whereas if I've done weigh-ins on a day when I've actually eaten more calories, but in food I've prepared myself, my weight was stable.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with eating the frozen dinners sometimes. I have tasted some and don't care for them personally, but if you like it, then go for it!
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    There are some great options out there in terms of frozen meals. They're perfectly fine to eat. I really like the lean cuisine chicken in peanut sauce - 2 packages is like 600 calories with 41g of protein and full of flavor.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat a few...I don't see the issue.

If I am pressed for time or calories they work well.

I am partial to lean cuisine chicken and potatoes in wine sauce...216 calories, 14 grams of protien and it's filling for me anyway...

I like me some Lean Cuisine as well. Plus log in the code inside for points to get free stuff :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't use them, but not really because of the sodium. I find that frozen meals are just crappy food in sad portions. I've never felt satisfied after a frozen dinner, ever. If that's all I had to eat for lunch, I'd be pretty sad...and hungry. I just don't consider them to be real food. I prefer real food.

If you enjoy them and they don't leave you hungry, then I don't see why you couldn't eat them.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think they're disgusting, but if you like them there's no reason you shouldn't eat them from time to time. Everything in moderation.
  • fortheloveofjas
    fortheloveofjas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also prefer Amy's frozen foods; I try to eat a fresh salad most days also.
    I'm on Day 101....

58441101.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I keep some in the freezer at work for when I forget lunch or don't want to go out. I also keep some at home for nights when I don't feel like cooking.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    you would be surprised how easy it is to cook something tasty, besides in my weight loss i have found that having a different relationship with food can be very helpful

Me, myself and I find it very difficult to cook anything, forget about something tasty. I'm 46 and have accepted the fact that I can't even make a hard boiled egg or make rice.

I'm curious about what you mean by having a different relationship with food means exactly.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    i guess i speak for myself when i say this and i don't know if it applies to others but if you view food as more than just a means to get full and satisfied and more of a tool to use to reach your fitness goals i think it kinda helps

also taking the time to prepare it (again i speak for myself) helps me stay away from fattening foods (mcchickens being one of my favorites) it also makes me appreciate what i am doing that much more as it relates to my fitness goals
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I actually really like frozen food, it tastes like junk, and I really like junk food.....I also really love fast food....granted if I eat too much processed food it messes with my stomach, but I sort of feel like people are lying when they say they don't like this type of food. It's freaking delicious dirty junk food.

If that's all you're eating day in and day out your health might suffer...but I freaking love them. Frozen crappy pizza? don't mind if I do!!!! Unrecognizable pasta in cardboard? PLEASE.

But I'm pretty disgusting.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they are bland and too little food for the price. I would rather spend $3-4 on dollar menu food. Side salads, plain burgers, cups of chili, etc..
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I keep a few in the freezer for 'emergencies'. They aren't what I prefer to eat every day, but they can be a lifesaver those days that I'm really short on time or forgot to pack a lunch for work. I would say I eat 2-3 a month at most.

It's all about reading the labels. Some brands are lower in sodium, some are higher in protein, etc. Lately I've been gravitating towards the "evol" brand, as they tend to be higher in protein, and have been pretty tasty!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I usually eat one for lunch (sometimes I have a sandwich or leftovers instead) and I haven't exploded yet.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    i guess i speak for myself when i say this and i don't know if it applies to others but if you view food as more than just a means to get full and satisfied and more of a tool to use to reach your fitness goals i think it kinda helps

also taking the time to prepare it (again i speak for myself) helps me stay away from fattening foods (mcchickens being one of my favorites) it also makes me appreciate what i am doing that much more as it relates to my fitness goals

Can"t you view food as something to enjoy too? - I don't think enjoying the taste/experience of food is an unhealthy relationship.
    I don't just view food as a way to reach my fitness goals.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a frozen dinner for lunch every day (M-TH) at work... Healthy Choice is my favorite, then Lean Cuisine...will resort to WW when they are on sale... I work 10 hour days...spend 1 1/2 hours (45 min ea way) on the road to and from work... I don't have time to make a lunch in the mornings and the last thing I want to think about at 3:45am is what I am going to be eating at noon....and no... cooking enough meals on the weekends is not an option. I am also an independent contractor and work at home on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays as needed. So... the dinners have been great for me. I don't worry about sodium since I don't ever add salt to anything I make ( I do make my dinner meals every night).

Interestingly enough, I can't bring myself to eat a frozen meal at home though...in my mind, this is a choice that is exclusive to the work environment.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    you can but at least for me its a bit different, i'm surrounded by awesome food at work constantly, cooking it, and what not, when you are constantly around food like that all the time i guess for me adjusting my view of food has changed a bit
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Handy to have for those days when actual cooking just isn't going to happen. But for every day? No thanks. Too much sodium, not enough really interesting flavor, not enough food! I do use them sometimes...some aren't bad. But Id prefer real cooking most of the time.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I have a frozen dinner for lunch every day (M-TH) at work... Healthy Choice is my favorite, then Lean Cuisine...will resort to WW when they are on sale... I work 10 hour days...spend 1 1/2 hours (45 min ea way) on the road to and from work... I don't have time to make a lunch in the mornings and the last thing I want to think about at 3:45am is what I am going to be eating at noon....and no... cooking enough meals on the weekends is not an option. I am also an independent contractor and work at home on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays as needed. So... the dinners have been great for me. I don't worry about sodium since I don't ever add salt to anything I make ( I do make my dinner meals every night).

Interestingly enough, I can't bring myself to eat a frozen meal at home though...in my mind, this is a choice that is exclusive to the work environment.

Since you cook dinner every night, could you just double what you're already cooking and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day? I do this often (especially when I'm grilling) and it has worked out well.