The average weight ladies bench

Options
How much are you benching and what do you weigh? I'm just curious how to work out what I should be benching . Taking into consideration I've only been doing it for like a month but for me to do full sets and no half reps ( 3x sets 8x reps) I bench about 27 kg I have no idea what that is in lbs sorry! I weigh between 155/160lb (it changes constantly).

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for almost 8 months and weight about 156lbs..I currently bench 123.5lbs...3x5, 2x4 (failed on last two sets)

PS 27kg=59lbs
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do you think if I lower my reps but say add a extra set then I could probably add a extra weight? Say take it to 30 kg?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing about 70 lbs for 5X3. My bench is lagging since my last gym didn't even have a bench, so it's just now making progress.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    strength gains are defined by the # of reps yes.

1-5 reps with increasing weights add strength yes.

as for lower reps/added set it depends on what you are doing now.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I can bench about 120-130 for 1 RM, depending on the day. I am usually doing sets with 105.

Here is a strength standards chart we use in CrossFit if you want to see how you compare in various lifts:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

Here is a Starting Strength comparison:
    http://startingstrength.com/files/standards.pdf
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    strength gains are defined by the # of reps yes.

1-5 reps with increasing weights add strength yes.

as for lower reps/added set it depends on what you are doing now.

this.

almost always you can up the weight if you drop the reps- up until you hit your one rep max- which is why it's called a one rep max.

I'm 170- well giggle- 166 as of this morning. I am benching 160 consistently- and can functional/training rep a 1 RPM of 170- I'm sure it's 180 or 190 for a real 1 rep max test, but I haven't checked yet.

Don't worry about what ever one else is doing- they aren't you. you can only worry about you and the weight that you can put up. Just keep doing the things- it gets better.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    (source: EXRX)

Using 148lb female:

Untrained = 75 lbs
    Novice = 90 lbs
    Intermediate = 105 lbs
    Advanced = 135 lbs
    Elite = 165 lbs

Link to chart:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Using 148lb female:

Untrained = 75 lbs
    Novice = 90 lbs
    Intermediate = 105 lbs
    Advanced = 135 lbs
    Elite = 165 lbs

Link to chart:

sounds like rubbish- I'm no where near an elite athlete and I can push 160.

Saying 135 for a woman is advanced is silly- that's warm up weight. I get that heavy is relative to everyone- but come on- I feel like this chart is ridiculous.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For those charts, "Advanced" means anyone who has been lifting for "multiple years", whatever that means. "Intermediate" is up to two years of training. "Elite" means in training for strength sports.

They also say this:
    Tables for the basic barbell exercises are based on nearly 70 years of accumulated performance data and are not predicted or regression derived. These performance standards should not to be confused with strength norms.

Provided by Dr. Lon Kilgore, PhD

I don't know what the difference between a "standard" and a "norm" is.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting since January. I'm 5'2", about 130 lbs and I can bench 60 lbs (that's 3 sets of 10 reps). It's definitely my weakest point!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Like Jo said, weight is relative to each individual. I've been lifting for 6 months and I bench 105 for 3 sets of 5 right now. Trying to push past that. I weigh 191.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm sure many women do, but I don't think I've ever seen a woman bench 45-lb. plates (135 lbs. total) at gyms like LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, etc. That weight would definitely get a double-take at most non-powerlifting/bodybuilding gyms.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I'm sure many women do, but I don't think I've ever seen a woman bench 45-lb. plates (135 lbs. total) at gyms like LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, etc. That weight would definitely get a double-take at most non-powerlifting/bodybuilding gyms.

give me 10 more pounds and I will be...:bigsmile:
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Using 148lb female:

Untrained = 75 lbs
    Novice = 90 lbs
    Intermediate = 105 lbs
    Advanced = 135 lbs
    Elite = 165 lbs

Link to chart:

sounds like rubbish- I'm no where near an elite athlete and I can push 160.

Saying 135 for a woman is advanced is silly- that's warm up weight. I get that heavy is relative to everyone- but come on- I feel like this chart is ridiculous.

To be fair, it says those categories are for a lady who weighs 148lbs.
    For a female weighing around 165lbs, it says benching 145 is advanced and 185+ is elite.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can only bench about 65lbs right now. :( It's my worst lift for some reason! ahh
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm a little under 130 lbs and I'm only benching 85lb (5x3). I'll be honest, I haven't trained it consistently. I say only because my upper body is pretty developed, but it's all pulling muscles. But push-ups are no problem either.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if those charts are 1RM? I didn't see that defined...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I bench 60 pounds. :tongue:

ETA: 116 pounds, 5'2, 44 yrs old
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

there's a couple reasons for that.

1, if they are that serious about lifting they'll tend to switch to a less "casual" gym than a 24HF or LAF because they might also want to use chalk, platforms, and bumper plates.

2. the mere fact of not seeing other women benching with plates on the bar will tend to prevent women that are capable of progressing past that point from even trying it. if it was something that was done on the regular they would keep putting weight on the bar till they got there, but since they don't see it done, a lot of women don't think it's a thing to do.

heck, that's basically the point of this thread. even if the OP feels like she's doing her absolute best right now, if 20 women with similar builds and experience to her come on here and say they bench 40 pounds more than she does, I'd bet cash money that she'd add 15 pounds to her working bench weight TOMORROW and get it up. A large part of this game is mental.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

145 was my best for reps; I definitely got accolades from the guys lifting around me.

Then I hurt my shoulder and now I bench 95 on a good day :)