If you won the lottery, what would you do?

Options

Replies

• Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Set up a charitable foundation with 50% of the post-tax winnings, try to spend most of my time administering that and doing charitable works. If I could, my focus would be helping other charities hand business affairs and marketing so they can function better, as most charities are run like absolute crap. Well meaning but very dysfunctional.

Buy/start a small specialty auto lot that strictly deals in cool cars. Like this one from my home town.
    http://www.classicautosales.com/Inventory/
    Hire someone else to manage it so it doesn't devour all my time.
    Use this to support my car addiction and as a tax-shelter for doing sportscar racing.

Train Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu like it's my full-time job.

Travel, do awesome things with my family.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I just won $5 on a $10 scratch off, didn't I?

Dammit.
  • _JPunky
    Options
    I'd buy monkeys and make them fight. Possibly in outfits.

I'll spend my $5 winnings on betting on the one in the tutu.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Go to Jersey! ^^^^
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Move to Sri Lanka
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Buy and island and start my own government. Everyone would have to workout to get paid.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on how much but let's just assume we're talking millions...

First we'd destroy both of our cell phones and get pre-pays so no one can contact us without permission. Then find a good financial advisor and pay off car/mortgage and also pay off his Grandfather's mortgage. Then buy that cabin in the middle of nowhere that Hubby's always wanted. Or buy an RV and drive to Alaska? Up to him. My only request is to include spoiling family a bit - either having them come to the cabin or stopping to visit them in the RV. Oh, and probably would get that plastic surgery I've been thinknig about.
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Quit my job and volunteer all my time to causes that mean something to me.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    2 chicks at the same time.

:laugh:
  • Need_for_Speed
    Options
    Move to england....LOL
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Buy MFP and delete all the accounts of people who spell lose as loose.

Now that's down right funny...I don't care who you are! :laugh:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    first, i'd kidnap rochelle and acrylics so we can
    Build a Boys and Girls club for kids to attend after school and during the summer. This place would have state-of-the-art EVERYTHING!!! Theatre Room, Kitchen
    Children would learn how to play an instrument of their choice, Dance (ballet, jazz, lyrical, tap), Arts and Craft, Cooking, Computers, Woodshop, Swim, Play a sport. Community Service (habitat for humanity), Gymnastics, Learn a 2nd language
    Have tutors in all subjects. And of course have all the super fun games, Pool, Bumper Pool, Foosball, Ping Pong board games. The list goes on and on. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

...with a 'kitchen lab' where kids can learn how to think about, prep, and eat healthy foodz. and cakes. as soon as B&G's kitchen lab is crackin' i'm off to start my own non-profit. i'm thinking food art fundraising to address childhood hunger and obesity.
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    I'd disappear in a hurry. Too many peeps would want donations and what-not. Then the possible lawsuits...no way! I will disappear.

After that...whatever I want!
  • Alastair007
    Alastair007 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Work on my tan
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Hire a good attorney and an even better financial planner/accountant
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Poor and content is rich, and rich enough.

That is such a poor person thing to say.

Not really considering that Shakespeare was a pretty wealthy man

YESSS

Also, when I read the top quote w/o making that connection, I thought the opposite...it's what a content person would say.

I know when I was truly poor (low income and in debt) my tax return was small, but it was blown on dinner at Red Lobster and a Coach bag or expensive jeans. That's what "poor people" tend to do.

Now that I'm financially secure and have zero debt, if I get anything back from the government it goes into savings. I go to the Coach store and walk around and then spend $2.75 on gelato. I am content.
  • Sweetout
    Sweetout Posts: 153
    Options
    Immediately take a vacation.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I would keep going to work for awhile and act a fool. I would finally tell callers things like "No, that is not an emergency and you're just going to have to leave a voicemail" or "Gee, maybe that other person had an attitude with you on the phone because you're so rude". I'd do that until I got fired, then I would donate part of my earnings to my workplace (it's a non-profit) to make up for it.
  • _JPunky
    Options
    Go to Jersey! ^^^^

How YOU doin'? :wink: :laugh: