What to do next - can't find the right formula to lose

Options
I started at 1450 calories or so months ago and lost a few lbs. Went down to 1410 per MFP after my small loss. Nothing happened. Everyone said I was eating too much. I cut down to 1300 a few weeks ago and am STILL barely losing.

I would really just like to find the right balance to lose 1 lb a week consistently.

Should I get a Fitbit or some other device to help me figure out what my actual TDEE is? Or go to have it measured by a professional? What is the best way to get an accurate sense of how much you should be eating to lose? The online calculators all suggest I should eat more than 1300.

Here are some details if anyone has any insight.

I am 40, 5'3", CW = 199.
I work out 3-6 days per week (mix of weights, jogging, and boot camp) and eat back most of my calories (burn logged with HRM).
I weigh and measure nearly everything with a digital scale. I log it all good or bad.
I have no medical complications that would inhibit weight loss.
I have a busy stressful life and probably do not get enough sleep (6-7 hours tops).

Thanks!

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Some weeks, you won't lose for a variety of reasons. If you keep going on your deficit and you still don't lose, it's obvious that you are consuming too many calories.

Next, I would need to know how you measured your TDEE? How did you determine your activity level? If you have it set to high or moderate, try it at lightly or sedentary for a while and see if that makes a difference. Also, do you eat back your exercise calories? If so, how do you measure your burns? Some methods (a heart rate monitor) are more accurate than others (MFP or machines). If you are using MFP or machines, you should set a percentage (probably lower than 75%) to eat back. If you are using a heart rate monitor, you should eat back a higher amount. However, if you are currently using a heart rate monitor, you might want to eat back only a percentage of your calories as your hrm might be a little off.

I would say to try these things one at a time to identify the problem. Give each about a month and a half to see if it's working. Also, I would wait until you are eating 1410 for about a month and a half to see if that works.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I looked back at your food log ( don't look at mine because I stopped logging after I had my wreck LOL )
    It seems you still have a sweet tooth even tho your numbers added up , maybe some different snacks like fruits and vegggies ,
    Lower your Fat intake to 30 or so grams a day ?

At least I know eating lean helps me and fruits gives me way more bulk for the calories ,

Good luck
    Red
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try more protein for breakfast
    Your lunch on Friday was a good lunch - look to repeat this type of eating, you had good carbs, protein fats etc
    Less packaged foods - lots of packaged snacks, try apples with almond butter OR cottage cheese with apple, or Greek Yoghurt, or grilled chicken.
    With 4 kids time would be of the essence so prepared your snacks/meals the night before or cook in batches
    Also water water water :smile:
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating raw for most of your calories. Research a program called Raw till 4.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I started at 1450 calories or so months ago and lost a few lbs. Went down to 1410 per MFP after my small loss. Nothing happened. Everyone said I was eating too much. I cut down to 1300 a few weeks ago and am STILL barely losing.

I would really just like to find the right balance to lose 1 lb a week consistently.

Should I get a Fitbit or some other device to help me figure out what my actual TDEE is? Or go to have it measured by a professional? What is the best way to get an accurate sense of how much you should be eating to lose? The online calculators all suggest I should eat more than 1300.

Here are some details if anyone has any insight.

I am 40, 5'3", CW = 199.
    I work out 3-6 days per week (mix of weights, jogging, and boot camp) and eat back most of my calories (burn logged with HRM).
    I weigh and measure nearly everything with a digital scale. I log it all good or bad.
    I have no medical complications that would inhibit weight loss.
    I have a busy stressful life and probably do not get enough sleep (6-7 hours tops).

Thanks!
    Patience is a virtue, especially since you've been at this for such a short while.

Weight loss is not linear, some weeks you will lose and some you won't, some weeks you will lose more and other weeks you will lose less.

As for your heart rate monitor--do you only log calories burned for steady state cardio? Be careful about using it for weight lifting, high intensity training, or anything that is not steady state cardio. I have experimented with this and it's true that the calories for weight lifting and anything not steady state cardio are overestimated, even with a heart rate monitor.

As for your height and weight, 1300-something sounds a bit low so you should be losing fairly quickly. Be careful about the foods you choose from the MFP database for your calorie input, as they can be off. Do you research on foods to ensure you choose the correct food. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Also, the type of food you eat is up to you as long as you stay within your calorie deficit, you like the food, and you are reasonably meeting your macronutrients. Just keep working at finding your caloric balance and you will do fine.

ETA: now that I've looked at your diary, I believe your exercise calories are pretty much overestimated since boot camp is not steady state cardio and neither is strength training. Someone who posted after me suggested the TDEE method, and I agree this might be good to try this. However, I'm looking forward to reading other suggestions as well.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut fat or eat raw. From looking at your diary really quick, a couple of things struck me right off of the bat. Your cals bounce around a lot from day to day and I'm guessing that is from exercise. Have you thought of looking into the TDEE method? I would look into that and that way your cals are more set as long as your activity stays the same. The next is that there were days missing and many days over. Maybe not much over, but over. Which is another reason I think TDEE may work better. Next is, I wouldn't eat back ALL of our exercise calories, but more like half if you continue the MFP method. And don't give up. It's not linear and some months will be great and some horrid. But as long as over the long run you are making progress, that is what matters.
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It looks like you lost a good chunk of weight before things stalled... that is if the 217 on your profile page was your starting weight. How long ago did you start tracking your food/exercise? And how long has it been since your weight has stalled?

I had similar numbers to you when I started in March. I am 36, and a busy mom, so I think we do share some similarities.
    I use the MFP method and started out with 1460 calories, indicating that I was lightly active and wanted to strive for working out 4x a week for 30 min. I had it set for a 1.5 lb loss. I have consistently lost between 1.5 to 2.5 lbs since I started.

Feel free to add me as a friend and look at my diary. I still eat very similar to how I did before. I have increased fruits/veggies more, but I still enjoy many of my favorite foods and the occasional alcoholic drinks. I have dessert almost daily. I am trying to get my workouts in, but some weeks I fall short on my original goal. I do eat back a majority of my exercise calories.

I haven't had a chance to peak at your diary, but I can. But please add me for support if you'd like!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

The good chunk of weight I lost (from my highest of 217) was following surgery 2 years ago. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks and lost 15 lbs.

In the last year, I have basically gained and lost the same 3 lbs. I will lose a lb or two, then it will come back, then I will lose 2, and one will come back, but I can't seem to keep it going down. It is so immensely frustrating.

I have my activity set for sedentary as I have a desk job, though when I am not at work I am quite active at home with 4 kids, cooking, cleaning, helping at sports, etc.

I have been logging off and on for about 2 years. But when I work really hard for a month or two and see almost no results, I slip back and my logs get more sparse.

My calorie intake does bounce up and down because I eat back my exercise calories (otherwise I would net under 1200 consistently).

I have been eating a lot of sugar lately (normally I am under for sugar) - not sure if it is TOM or just stress, but I do have to watch that. It is a slippery slope for me.

I am totally open to trying the TDEE method, I am just not sure how to get the right number. I am not really losing at 1300 calories a day (which seems insane to me) - but there is no way I can really eat less and still get through the day. I am already pretty cranky LOL

Per Scooby, if I put in sedentary, my BMR is 1623, TDEE 1938. TDEE-20% = 1550 - but then how do I account for exercise? Or do I just not?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    With the TDEE method you don't eat exercise calories back.

It sounds like you need to get your logging of food in order too. Please do read the link I provided in my prior post to ensure that you are choosing the correct entries.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating raw for most of your calories. Research a program called Raw till 4.
    Not needed. Extreme diet changes aren't usually sustainable by most if they don't WANT to eat this way the rest of their life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

The good chunk of weight I lost (from my highest of 217) was following surgery 2 years ago. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks and lost 15 lbs.

In the last year, I have basically gained and lost the same 3 lbs. I will lose a lb or two, then it will come back, then I will lose 2, and one will come back, but I can't seem to keep it going down. It is so immensely frustrating.

I have my activity set for sedentary as I have a desk job, though when I am not at work I am quite active at home with 4 kids, cooking, cleaning, helping at sports, etc.

I have been logging off and on for about 2 years. But when I work really hard for a month or two and see almost no results, I slip back and my logs get more sparse.

My calorie intake does bounce up and down because I eat back my exercise calories (otherwise I would net under 1200 consistently).

I have been eating a lot of sugar lately (normally I am under for sugar) - not sure if it is TOM or just stress, but I do have to watch that. It is a slippery slope for me.

I am totally open to trying the TDEE method, I am just not sure how to get the right number. I am not really losing at 1300 calories a day (which seems insane to me) - but there is no way I can really eat less and still get through the day. I am already pretty cranky LOL

Per Scooby, if I put in sedentary, my BMR is 1623, TDEE 1938. TDEE-20% = 1550 - but then how do I account for exercise? Or do I just not?

If you plug your details into Scooby, it is supposed to include your exercise. I would not use sedentary, but put in the amount of exercise you are doing (I think Scooby uses hours). Even if you use the MFP method you are more likely to be lightly active since you have 4 kids.

Edit: I am 5'3 weigh 163.5 32 yrs old and Scooby told me I should eat 1656 calories if I am working out 1-3 hours a week and 1867 if I am working out 3-5 hours a week. This means I would eat those calories daily and not eat my exercise calories back since it is included in the numbers.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Options
    Ok guys, I will rachet down with my logging (I am very good about weighing and measuring) but SLLRunner brings up a great point about the quality of the MFP entries.

I am still concerned that I do not know how to calculate what I am actually burning and calibrate my caloric intake to make weight loss happen on a somewhat consistent basis. Perhaps a combination of on point logging for a few weeks might help me figure it out?

Thanks again - I appreciate all of the advice. I know I should have been able to figure this out by now, but for some reason - thinks have never clicked for my body.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start, and how many pounds did you lose? And how long since it 'stopped'?

The other thing about your post - that you mostly weigh food. Logging it is only as useful as your accuracy.
  • marthe_irene
    marthe_irene Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was reading this article online and it said that you should wait a bit before doing strenuous exercise for muscle building ect.... Walking is good! Should wait a bit and lose a bit wait first. Muscle is much heavier than fat. I find that I lose at 1200 cal. I've started to do more walking. At least one hour per day. You can work in some workouts gradually as you lose weight.Hope this helps.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    One other thought - and I'll just give you my scenario. I'm not good with exercise. The best I can explain is that getting into a routine or making out a plan doesn't always work for me. It seems stressful, and like others - life is busy. 2 jobs, 3 kids, grad student... BUT I'm worth it. So what to do? I got a Fitbit for Christmas. I set MFP to lightly active even though I have a desk job. I use the 2 (Fitbit, MFP which sync and communicate with each other) and make sure I move enough in the day to 'earn' exercise calories. That way, I figure, I'm being at least lightly active and that's my goal.

Does that mean I don't exercise? Well no, its just that I no longer stress over it or worry about needing to plan it out. I work in a walk at lunch time. I run errands and make efforts to walk more throughout the day. And in the evening, I do what I need to do to reach my goals. That might mean 30-60 minutes running in place on the mini-trampoline, or time on the treadmill, or playing Wi games with the kids, or walking the dogs, etc.

Activity trackers are not a magic weight loss device, but can be a good tool if you need something to help hold yourself accountable. I do weigh everything, log everything. I generally eat in the 1400-1600 range. I'm 5' 5.5", 148.5, 39 years old & female. I have it all set for a 500 calorie per day deficit, and I almost always make sure that I move enough to finish in the green between food consumed & calories burned. If I have an extremely active day I tend to eat higher - still balancing out around a 500 deficit with a little to spare. (Figure having an extra 50-250 will cover in case of Fitbit calculation inaccuracy.) Though I do allow myself 2-3 times per month to eat at maintenance.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat: they each weigh 1 pound. Muscle takes up less space, its more compact. Its never too soon to build muscle. What you want to avoid is extremely fast weight loss efforts as that's a good way to make sure you lose muscle AND fat, and that will slow your metabolism.
    Hi,
    I was reading this article online and it said that you should wait a bit before doing strenuous exercise for muscle building ect.... Walking is good! Should wait a bit and lose a bit wait first. Muscle is much heavier than fat. I find that I lose at 1200 cal. I've started to do more walking. At least one hour per day. You can work in some workouts gradually as you lose weight.Hope this helps.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    With the TDEE method you don't eat exercise calories back.

It sounds like you need to get your logging of food in order too. Please do read the link I provided in my prior post to ensure that you are choosing the correct entries.

Good luck!

Just a note on this - TDEE is supposed to be figured with your exercise included, that's how you account for it. You are not sedentary if you are doing strength training and boot camp. Choose the appropriate level.

Also, I suggest picking a calorie goal for several weeks, not just 2 or 3. It can take some time to see results.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Options
    How long ago did you start, and how many pounds did you lose? And how long since it 'stopped'?

The other thing about your post - that you mostly weigh food. Logging it is only as useful as your accuracy.

I have been pretty active on MFP for over a year (less so for the year prior). At one point I had lost a net of 7 lbs - got down to 193 I think - that was at 1410 per day (MFP suggested for 1 lbs/week at lightly active). I lost very inconsistently though.

As for weighing - I use a digital scale and try to use grams as often as I can. I even weigh my peanut butter (16 g = 1 tbsp). I cannot weigh when I eat out, but I try not to do that too often. Any tips for more accurate weighing and measuring?
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    From reading other comments on this thread, it sounds like perhaps the issue is not inaccurate logging/weighing - but perhaps inflated burn #s. If you're burning less than you think, and eating all 'exercise' calories - you're effectively eating at maintenance.

Only log actual steady state cardio. Running, walking, biking, etc. Other activity consider it extra. During most strength training you burn barely more than you typically would during normal everyday activity. And MFP already considers normal everyday activity in your calorie goal.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    have you considered swimming? Swimming burns off a LOT of calories, provides a great strengthening workout and is easy on the joints. Plus --- it's fun.