What to do next - can't find the right formula to lose

Options
2»

Replies

• Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit for Christmas. I set MFP to lightly active even though I have a desk job. I use the 2 (Fitbit, MFP which sync and communicate with each other) and make sure I move enough in the day to 'earn' exercise calories. That way, I figure, I'm being at least lightly active and that's my goal.

It sounds like the Fitbit has been helpful for you in making sure there is that all important deficit. Perhaps I should try one.

I am pretty consistent with my workouts. I get up at 5 and hit the gym for an hour almost everyday - either with my trainer who has me doing weights and HIIT or boot camp class (which always includes 2 miles of jogging). But clearly I am doing something wrong or I would be consistently losing.

Don't laugh but actually asked my husband if he thought I was somehow secretly eating - like sleep eating or something!

Thanks again for your continued responses. I really appreciate the feedback.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Options
    From reading other comments on this thread, it sounds like perhaps the issue is not inaccurate logging/weighing - but perhaps inflated burn #s. If you're burning less than you think, and eating all 'exercise' calories - you're effectively eating at maintenance.

Only log actual steady state cardio. Running, walking, biking, etc. Other activity consider it extra. During most strength training you burn barely more than you typically would during normal everyday activity. And MFP already considers normal everyday activity in your calorie goal.

This is another good idea. I can certainly only turn my HRM for true cardio - but some of my trainer session are HIIT - not sure how I would measure those. I tend to burn 400 calories in boot camp (65 minutes - mostly from the running at the end). On a regular trainer session, I burn about 200 (again mostly from cardio after weights, like the eliptical). Do those sound high? My heart rate is usually around 135-150 during full cardio. I can't go about 150 or I get dizzy.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was reading this article online and it said that you should wait a bit before doing strenuous exercise for muscle building ect.... Walking is good! Should wait a bit and lose a bit wait first. Muscle is much heavier than fat. I find that I lose at 1200 cal. I've started to do more walking. At least one hour per day. You can work in some workouts gradually as you lose weight.Hope this helps.

Sorry but this isn't accurate. There is no reason to wait to exercise if a person is interested/motivated to exercise and has no medical conditions prohibiting or restricting their exercise. I started with over 100 lbs to lose and have been exercising since day 1. You cannot build muscle at a deficit (aside from some noob gains and w/e), but weight training at a deficit and getting enough protein WILL help to preserve precious lean muscle mass.
  • scottishgal127
    scottishgal127 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact experience that you are discussing and I am learning a lot by reading these posts. I am trying to get all the numbers correct, too. :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Overall, it looks like you're consistently low on protein. It's not a hard-and-fast rule that you HAVE to eat more protein to lose weight, even though you'd get that impression by reading the MFP forums. Everyone has a different macro balance that suits their own body best, and it can take some time to figure out what works best for you. Having said that, though, when I go too high on carbs and too low on protein for any length of time, my body retains water like crazy and I can't lose a pound no matter what I do. It might be worth experimenting with a different macro distribution for a month or so to see if something different would work better for your body.

Other people have touched on logging, so I'm just going to remind you to make sure you're logging cooking oil, butter, etc. Some days look really good, and some others could probably use some tightening. Nobody logs perfectly all the time, but since you're stalled, one of the first steps would be to tighten up your logging.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Options
    Thanks, Alice. I definitely find it I eat too many carbs, it fuels me to eat more and makes me retain water. Protein definitely keeps me full longer. My settings are 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. I have a tough time hitting the protein some days.

I need to get some more breakfast protein ideas. I am not big on dairy and I can only eat so many egg whites...
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I could have written this post myself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Alice. I definitely find it I eat too many carbs, it fuels me to eat more and makes me retain water. Protein definitely keeps me full longer. My settings are 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. I have a tough time hitting the protein some days.

I need to get some more breakfast protein ideas. I am not big on dairy and I can only eat so many egg whites...

Don't do "breakfast". You can eat anything first thing in the morning, it doesn't have to be cereal, oatmeal or eggs.