Exploding Oatmeal?

Options
This is something that always made me curious...

How do you get from keeping oatmeal from exploding in the microwave?

Replies

• eemitchell1984
    eemitchell1984 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use a larger wide-rimmed bowl. gives the oatmeal room to expand without spilling over. also, i'll stop/stir once i see it getting to the point where its about to spill over.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    By cooking it on the stove
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    By cooking it on the stove

lol, true
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread would be about a new indie band, Exploding Oatmeal.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I started cooking porrige/oatmeal in a microwave at uni (no hob/stove or to minimise mess and washing up)

Porrige will explode when:

- bowl radius is too small
    - bowl is over filled
    - porrige is left in the microwave for too long

I still cook it in a microwave now if I'm doing for myself, but on the stove if i'm doing for others as well

I find that powdered milk doesn't explode as easily in the microwave as normal milk does.

I use a very wide and shallow bowl (crockery) at home, that is less than 1/2 full by depth.
    I use a plastic bowl at teh office, which is a lot less broad but deeper (and is a lot more likely to explode)

in both cases I put in the microwave for at most 1 minute, before opening and stiring
    the gluppier it gets the time between stirring shortens towards 30s

this morning i did 1m+1m+30s+30s and no explosions
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I started cooking porrige/oatmeal in a microwave at uni (no hob/stove or to minimise mess and washing up)

Porrige will explode when:

- bowl radius is too small
    - bowl is over filled
    - porrige is left in the microwave for too long

I still cook it in a microwave now if I'm doing for myself, but on the stove if i'm doing for others as well

I find that powdered milk doesn't explode as easily in the microwave as normal milk does.

I use a very wide and shallow bowl (crockery) at home, that is less than 1/2 full by depth.
    I use a plastic bowl at teh office, which is a lot less broad but deeper (and is a lot more likely to explode)

in both cases I put in the microwave for at most 1 minute, before opening and stiring
    the gluppier it gets the time between stirring shortens towards 30s

this morning i did 1m+1m+30s+30s and no explosions

fantastic! Thank you for sharing!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Bigger bowl. Keep an eye on it and stop the microwave when you see it getting too close to the edge.

Or you could cook a big batch on the stove or in the crock pot and reheat servings daily.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Like others, short, wide bowl and don't add any sweetener until after cooking it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I follow the directions on the package. That always helps.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread would be about a new indie band, Exploding Oatmeal.

Me too. Exploding Oatmeal would be an awesome band name.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Useful tips thanks all, I have this problem sometimes too! I've been taking the bowl out of the microwave half way through cooking to give it a stir. Very messy when it happens and means less oatmeal for me!!
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    I stopped leaving the spoon in the bowl.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is something that always made me curious...

How do you get from keeping oatmeal from exploding in the microwave?
    Watch it and when it starts to bubble up, take it out, stir it and put it back in.

Repeat until it's cooked.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    ....came in thinking this would be Desi's thread.....walked out disappointed.....\m/
  • justmary74
    justmary74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cook it on medium instead of high
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Cover the bowl with a mircowave cover (cheap easy to find) . I'll also put a paper towel over foods that go that under the microwave cover so I don't have to wash the cover either, as I am lazy.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I only put hot water and oats (with some trail mix) and water into a big old soup cup and let the oats soak for about 15-20 minutes. The outcome is a little gritty but I don't really care about having a porrige like consistency. There's really no wrong oatmeal.

btw, I only fill the cup halfway with quaker oats.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    As another poster recommended, break the total cooking time as per instructions (to the smart-alec poster!!) into chunks.
    Two 45s runs gets me to the 1.5 min cooking time without a mess, every time. Your microwave times will vary based on your microwave's power and how much you're cooking relative to me!

Good luck!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I don't interfere with Darwinism.