Working smarter not harder?

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
Does this apply to exercise? You hear this term a lot in the working world so people can be more efficient. Don't get me wrong, I'm for being efficient with using time and organization, but can one really "outsmart" the body when it comes to exercise?
The is such a thing as over exercising. One doesn't need to do 10 sets of 100 squats to get good results. But the only result I've seen when people work harder on their exercise is usually good results (especially if their diets are in check).

Opinions?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Work smarter not harder applies to almost every area of life. Granted, there are plenty of people who need to work harder as well. Can't do quarter squats with light weight expecting results, but that's also an element of working smarter.

"That's the classic nature of people, though. We'll skip the basics and get pissed when the sexy stuff doesn't work." - Martin Rooney
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    isn't the whole point of specialized lifting programs (for example) to "work smarter" and "not harder"? to maximize the benefits for a given amount of time/effort.

this applies to any physical or athletic endeavor. training for a race, practicing for sports, lifting for mass vs. strength (depending on your goals), etc. if you're serious about your training, you're always working smarter, not harder.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Does this apply to exercise? You hear this term a lot in the working world so people can be more efficient. Don't get me wrong, I'm for being efficient with using time and organization, but can one really "outsmart" the body when it comes to exercise?
    The is such a thing as over exercising. One doesn't need to do 10 sets of 100 squats to get good results. But the only result I've seen when people work harder on their exercise is usually good results (especially if their diets are in check).

Opinions?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Totally agree!

I didn't know what to do when I first started exercising and got confused by the different information. I have gotten a lot more results from 20-30 minute workouts than I did two years ago spending an hour a day on nonsense.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    isn't the whole point of specialized lifting programs (for example) to "work smarter" and "not harder"? to maximize the benefits for a given amount of time/effort.

this applies to any physical or athletic endeavor. training for a race, practicing for sports, lifting for mass vs. strength (depending on your goals), etc. if you're serious about your training, you're always working smarter, not harder.

^^^ This

For example maximizing time under tension or lifting with intention and full range of motion instead of swinging weights around that you can't handle properly.
    You can work harder without getting good results and this is very true at the gym, that's why you see ppl with no progress month after month even though they seem to be working up a storm.
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Fat2FitMyDrive Posts: 83 Member
    I guess maybe I have a skewed vision of this, but when it comes to excersize in general I really don't feel this applies. How can one improve if you don't continue to work harder. How do you get stronger? How do you beat a plateau? The idea is not to run the most efficient mile, but to run the fastest and to some people that may not be pretty or efficient... LOL! I do believe in correct form and doing the correct work for your ultimate goal, so I guess in a way that can be considered working smarter not harder. Hard work has provided me with nothing, but results... period!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I think work harder needs to be put into context- without context it is completely confusing at best and meaningless at worst.

coming in and doing more of the same- hours of cardio and not effective workouts could be considered working harder- but I wouldn't consider it working smarter (in terms of gains)

Getting on a program that suits your path to your goals is working smarters- and more efficiently- that being said- you need to work hard for your results- so even if you are on a program- you need to put your effort into the program- so it's smarter- and harder.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    hours of cardio and not effective workouts

What do you consider a "not effective workout"? And by whose standards?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I guess maybe I have a skewed vision of this, but when it comes to excersize in general I really don't feel this applies. How can one improve if you don't continue to work harder. How do you get stronger? How do you beat a plateau? The idea is not to run the most efficient mile, but to run the fastest and to some people that may not be pretty or efficient... LOL! I do believe in correct form and doing the correct work for your ultimate goal, so I guess in a way that can be considered working smarter not harder. Hard work has provided me with nothing, but results... period!

If your goal is to run the fastest mile would you go running 3x a day? If your goal was to run a marathon would you go run 26 miles every day? That's part of working smarter. You train smart and you avoid injury. You train smart and you get to that point faster. Training smart also means putting the effort in. Not cheating reps is working smarter and harder. Running hills and running outside is working smarter and harder (vs running on a treadmill).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I think work harder needs to be put into context- without context it is completely confusing at best and meaningless at worst.

coming in and doing more of the same- hours of cardio and not effective workouts could be considered working harder- but I wouldn't consider it working smarter (in terms of gains)

Getting on a program that suits your path to your goals is working smarters- and more efficiently- that being said- you need to work hard for your results- so even if you are on a program- you need to put your effort into the program- so it's smarter- and harder.

just like i like my men
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member

I kinda think about this as people who get to goal weight and then are like WTF? My body doesn't look like I thought it would....BECAUSE they did hours of cardio and worked hard to lose weight but didn't think about the muscle and it's effect on physique.

Not bragging (because I my fat butt has weight to lose) but I am a pretty fit 179 lbs right now at 5'7".

My friend who does spin and zumba and complains about her lower back fat and love handles is trying to lose weight. She doesn't look fit. She is very soft and hardly any appreciable muscle. The body she wants in her mind will maybe never come to realization if she keeps the routine she has at this time.
  • WendyTerry420

I kinda think about this as people who get to goal weight and then are like WTF? My body doesn't look like I thought it would....BECAUSE they did hours of cardio and worked hard to lose weight but didn't think about the muscle and it's effect on physique.

Not bragging (because I my fat butt has weight to lose) but I am a pretty fit 179 lbs right now at 5'7".

My friend who does spin and zumba and complains about her lower back fat and love handles is trying to lose weight. She doesn't look fit. She is very soft and hardly any appreciable muscle. The body she wants in her mind will maybe never come to realization if she keeps the routine she has at this time.

True

My first 50ish pounds is when I started getting the "OMG" from folks about my weight loss. I still get "You are getting thinner every time I see you" from some co-workers and such, but I've been maintaining 190ish for almost a year now. No cardio, and have been a bit of a slacker in my lifting, but the work I have been doing is effective.

I have seen fat shift around my body, leaving one place, and then inexplicably reappearing elsewhere, only to disappear again. I attribute that to my inconsistency, but when I do the "smart" work (to me, compound lifts with progressive loads), then it makes a big difference in my appearance than when I was just jogging every day.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    For me, working "smarter" instead of "harder" in exercise applied to my decision to begin strength training and mixing up my exercise rather than just go do the elliptical 6x a week. I ride my bike, do cardio, do strength, do combo, work with a personal trainer, do things at home on my own. This was a smarter decision than just doing hours upon hours of the same cardio like I did in college.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    I'm totally w/ JoRocka, context is everything. For me working smarter not harder is definitively lifting on a good program ( progressive, tailored to MY goals) vs. trying to do more cardio to get "toned". And yes--I think work smarter not harder applies nicely in health and fitness.

Just today I was at the Y lifting. With me today were primarily men I have never seen swinging weights around ( read:****e form)--I have to believe that they are hoping to get all buff for summer. But naturally that is an assumption on my part. Down below in the gym--full to the brim of woman in a mad panic to get summer/bikini ready with cardio. Fine by me, I have the power rack to myself!

I also agree with 12by311---I have a friend that just lost 45lbs doing VLCD. She can't understand why her skin is saggy....boobs and butt are gone. Smarter? No. Harder. Yep.

It's a shame that wisdom is not collective (in fitness) like it is in a bee colony!
  • MyChocolateDiet

just like i like my men

Hello. What's your take on a comparative look at Nietzsche and Kant on the subject of morality?

I like Nietsche. Current quote that I am happy with for now is "He who has a WHY to live, can bear with almost any HOW", it is germaine to my current personal circumstances. Immanuel Kant for me was always more of a dry read. I'm not really a fond of dry. In general. Except with Riesling, I like a dry finish.
  • WendyTerry420

I think the standards are your own. To me, Couch to 5k was very effective in getting me off the couch (literally) and back to a beginner's level of fitness. But now, jogging doesn't help me change my appearance at all, but lifting, even inconsistently, has been more effective.

Not effective, I think, is self-explanatory. If you haven't improved by your own standards, then it wasn't effective.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Really though to this topic I really think this thread would benefit from defining "harder" as JoRocka said.

I hesitate to tell people they need to "push" themselves and try "harder" because some people interpret that as moving to the levels of Biggest Loser TV shows and get all "no pain, no gain" about it and confuse appropriate pain as well.

Smarter to me is an aim that would be good for the masses to hear because right now they are inundated with FAST RESULTS messages and to me that can be damaging. Just the other day a woman was on here worried for her frustrated husband who thought he was seeing little results and getting down on himself. People suspected he was expecting Biggest Loser level results. I'd venture he was down on himself for not being able to "push harder". I don't think this experience is uncommon.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member

For most people looking to "get into shape", intensity is more important than duration (to a certain degree).
    Given you were quoting JoRocka, I'm going to guess she picked ineffective as having one or more of the following:
    not challenging, unfocused, or not supporting your goals, and it would be by the standards of the individual. What's effective for one may be ineffective for another.

There are some days you get points for just making it to the gym. But not many. You get points for working hard.

Duration is key for anyone training for endurance. I don't think anyone will argue that point. But I also think that that is not a core audience for this site.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I prefer to just "wing it" and see what happens.

You know... just throw a whole pile of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.

Seems to be working so far. :laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    I prefer to just "wing it" and see what happens.

You know... just throw a whole pile of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.

Seems to be working so far. :laugh:

Yay, thanks for not letting that gem die.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    It may not be the same across the board, but for me it definitely applies. I used to feel like I was KILLING myself in the gym... cardio, weights, hitting it two-a-day style at least once a week. Then, I decided to switch to running as cardio (sometimes swimming to switch it up and take it easy on the joints form time to time), and focus on compound work with weights (StrongLifts). Inches falling off, fat loss, stronger overall... and I'm not living at the gym. I like that.