Paleo

Options
124»

Replies

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm dairy-free, gluten-free and trying to get myself off of sugar and grains for good.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Here's the fallacy with this Paleo premise: it's based on the idea that we should be doing what our "ancestors" did millions of years ago. Any genetic anthropologist will tell you that changes in the genetic code of humans can happen absurdly fast, in as few as three generations in fact. My point? We aren't any more related to Paleo man than we are to Jurassic T-Rex. If eating only protein and veggies and healthy fats work for you, fine. But don't think for one minute it is based on any kind of "common sense" science.
  • kcrosso
    kcrosso Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm Paleoish (mostly Paleo, but sometimes I eat rice, or enjoy a "gluten-free" goody).
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Here's the fallacy with this Paleo premise: it's based on the idea that we should be doing what our "ancestors" did millions of years ago. Any genetic anthropologist will tell you that changes in the genetic code of humans can happen absurdly fast, in as few as three generations in fact. My point? We aren't any more related to Paleo man than we are to Jurassic T-Rex. If eating only protein and veggies and healthy fats work for you, fine. But don't think for one minute it is based on any kind of "common sense" science.

It's really a clean LCHF marketed with the Ancestor bit.

Add me!

I'm LCHF - Keto - Primal - Paleo!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Add me!

Except some of those are at odds with each other.
    And Paleo was never intended to be "low carb".
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Do you even Clade?

We are WAY more related to Paleo people than we are to the T Rex...and our ancestors ate grain too.
  • iheartredsox80
    iheartredsox80 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am currently 70% Paleo you can add me if you'd like. I plan 100% Paleo starting after the holiday, it has been a gradual change.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

Add me!

Hmmm... that's odd. I would have to wonder why Mark Sisson's book the Primal Blueprint specifically talks about carb intake in relation to weight loss, and even includes a handy chart to out line carb intake ranges in relation to nutritional ketosis.

Infact, here's a link from Mark's Daily Apple with the head line "Low-Carb Diet Wins Hands Down!"

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/unrestricted-low-carb-diet-wins-hands-down/#axzz32ThyCieC
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Add me!

Hmmm... that's odd. I would have to wonder why Mark Sisson's book the Primal Blueprint specifically talks about carb intake in relation to weight loss, and even includes a handy chart to out line carb intake ranges in relation to nutritional ketosis.

Infact, here's a link from Mark's Daily Apple with the head line "Low-Carb Diet Wins Hands Down!"

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/unrestricted-low-carb-diet-wins-hands-down/#axzz32ThyCieC

Because Sisson is a moron who cherry picks science? Why didn't he post any of the about 50% of the ad lib studies that showed no significant difference with low carb diets and other higher carb diets? and his CHO curve for weight loss is stupid and shows his lack of knowledge on the subject.

Oh did Sisson also ignore the Eaton Paleo diet reconstruction that had them eating around 300g of cho daily? whoops
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    no
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Add me!

Paleo and Primal are not the same. Part of my point.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Welcome to The Primitive Nutrition Series! Created by someone who was nearly seduced by the Paleo Diet idea before going vegan, these videos provide a wide-ranging response to the evolution-inspired rationale for meat eating which so many have uncritically accepted.

Do please enlighten me as to what out of all the reams of archaeological evidence for meat eating being critical to the evolution of the genus Homo does this person not accept?

Don't tell me to watch the videos, I don't have time for that. Just give me the cliff notes.

In...
    nobody can do the hard work for you... you will have to do the research yourself...

...and LOL. :laugh:

Oh, MFP. Don't ever change.

Don't. Ever. Change.

OP, I normally don't guide people away from genpop because the discussions can be valuable, but seriously, find the Paleo group. Sure, still read what's offered here (if for no other reason than the entertainment value) to help guide your decisions, but if you're really set on following this approach, genpop will not be very useful.

Full disclosure: I was very strict paleo for all of calendar 2012. I felt great and made solid progress. I was *not* strict paleo (or even paleo at all) for all of calendar 2013 and beyond. I felt great and made solid progress. Ultimately, for most people, it's just another means to an end. Oh, and I tracked consistently through all of this time while bulking, cutting, and maintaining, so you may find my food diary entertaining too.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Add me!

Yes primal is low carb. It's probably best to read beyond the first page to get a clearer understanding of what it is and what it believes in.

Some people on MFP quote primal and but totally misrepresent it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I am currently 70% Paleo you can add me if you'd like. I plan 100% Paleo starting after the holiday, it has been a gradual change.

I am 1% paleo. Add me!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    You might want to join the Paleo/primal group here. The general forums will lead to whole lot of paleo-bashing and people telling you're stupid. Add me if you'd like.
    ^^THIS^^

The main boards are generally only welcoming to the S.A.D. and embrace the notion of "If it fits your macros".

Threads about alternatives to the S.A.D typically get derailed.

it's not paleo people being bashed in this thread right now
    And meanwhile, another paleo thread has been hijacked with arguing.

well the vegan guy who was saying that paleo is wrong and humans evolved to be the vegan is the one who hyjacked the thread, I was arguing with him.
    I guess I just don't see why EVERY thread that's about an eating style other than S.A.D./IIFYM gets hijacked. Not blaming you, just wishing folks here IN GENERAL could be a little more open minded about other people's health and fitness goals.
    HE spams that same crap on every thread.
    and everywhere else. He's not worth arguing with.
    He's just spamming this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egqf7k5Lzhk

All threads about every way of eating are susceptible to hijacking here. I suspect you believe it's only one particular side because of your own personal bias. For what it's worth, during my stint w/ paleo in 2012, I thought similarly...that only the paleo threads were being hijacked...because those were the threads in which I was involved...but I now see that it isn't exclusively a paleo/non-IIFYM thing. Also, don't confuse "hijacking" with "counterpoint discussion"...which I suspect is a bias thing too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    You might want to join the Paleo/primal group here. The general forums will lead to whole lot of paleo-bashing and people telling you're stupid. Add me if you'd like.
    ^^THIS^^

The main boards are generally only welcoming to the S.A.D. and embrace the notion of "If it fits your macros".

Threads about alternatives to the S.A.D typically get derailed.

it's not paleo people being bashed in this thread right now
    And meanwhile, another paleo thread has been hijacked with arguing.

well the vegan guy who was saying that paleo is wrong and humans evolved to be the vegan is the one who hyjacked the thread, I was arguing with him.
    I guess I just don't see why EVERY thread that's about an eating style other than S.A.D./IIFYM gets hijacked. Not blaming you, just wishing folks here IN GENERAL could be a little more open minded about other people's health and fitness goals.
    HE spams that same crap on every thread.
    and everywhere else. He's not worth arguing with.
    He's just spamming this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egqf7k5Lzhk

All threads about every way of eating are susceptible to hijacking here. I suspect you believe it's only one particular side because of your own personal bias. For what it's worth, during my stint w/ paleo in 2012, I thought similarly...that only the paleo threads were being hijacked...because those were the threads in which I was involved...but I now see that it isn't exclusively a paleo/non-IIFYM thing. Also, don't confuse "hijacking" with "counterpoint discussion"...which I suspect is a bias thing too.

That's funny b/c I feel like IIFYM threads get hijacked all the time. Jof I think I will peruse your diary if that's okay, just for ideas for someone I know. I think you know who.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Add me!

Yes primal is low carb. It's probably best to read beyond the first page to get a clearer understanding of what it is and what it believes in.

Some people on MFP quote primal and but totally misrepresent it.

Is the bolded directed at me?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Add me!

Mark is not the arbiter of all things paleo.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out, however, the low-carb, high-fat or paleo or primal or ketogenic diet (no bread, pasta, etc...) really helps curb my hunger.

Would I lose the same amount of weight eating starchy rice and sweet potatoes if the caloric total was the same as the caloric totals with less then 20 net carbs a day I currently have?

Absolutely.

But, I would be STARVING and have issues with binging and unhappiness from being hungry/hangry all the time.

On low-carb, high-fat, I feel sated, not out of control cravings or anything like that.

That's just me.

Some people eat carbs all the time and have perfect self control and no cravings, I am not that person.

Just a few high carb cheats and I turn into a ravaging beast. Even on Paleo! I've never gained on high-carb Paleo but I did lose track of my appetite and crave high-carb and sweet Paleo foods. Three apples in one setting? Craving sweet potatoes?

PS: This takes weeks to develop. The first / week / sometimes month that you cut carbs or bread you will be a ravaging beast, your body will crave those carbs it is missing, so it's actually a somewhat timely and miserable investment.

After I get to goal weight I will go back to a "high-carb" Paleo diet, rockin' the rice, the starchy white and sweet potatoes, honey in half my recipes... BEER! You name it, but until then, I need the easy self-control an extremely restrictive ketogenic Paleo low-carb diet gives me.

Although I think "Primal" does sum it up best for me, as Sisson does promote cutting carbs for faster weight loss and OK's the dairy which I eat a ton of. Although I love the LCHF/Keto forums and learn a ton from them.

And yes, I'm currently addicted to Italian Creme Sodas which contain Splenda, sue me.

:-)