hi! MFP n00b, vegan, attempting low-carb and having trouble

hi everyone -

i've only been using MFP for a few days now (you can view my diary, it's public), and it sure is eye-opening to track my intake and see the levels of everything. most of my life i've eaten fairly high carb and not super high protein, and have always struggled with my weight, been up and down the scale several times. i've never tried low-carb before, and figure, if nothing i've done so far has worked in the long run, maybe this could?

after quite a bit of modifying the numbers, and research about proper levels, i have my ratios at 25/20/55 carbs/protein/fat, at 1,340 calories a day. the last few days i've minorly slipped up (grrr, beans) in terms of my carb percentages, and my protein levels have come in a little lower than i'd like, with my fat levels being fairly close.

does anyone have any advice for me on maintaining my carbs at 25% (about 84g/day)? i'm finding that with lower carbs i'm hungry a lot more often, even when i come close to meeting my calories per day. i might need more fat, i don't know. i'm not sure if i'd go into ketosis with that 25% carbs or not, but if i can get close, that would be fine.

Replies

• Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    i'm finding that with lower carbs i'm hungry a lot more often,

Well then, stop attempting low-carb.

Calorie deficit = Winning.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Why do you want to go low carb? Low carb won't make you lose weight any faster all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. I'm a Vegan and have been for around 15 years and I'm afraid to go low carb on a Vegan diet is almost impossible you'd really have to bump your fat up and your diet will be very limited, rather dull and you'll have to be careful to get all your macronutrients. I eat 60% carbs and as you can see no problems losing weight. Sorry I can't be more of a help but a low carb Vegan diet is a bit of an Oxy moron in reality
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I'm sorry....vegan AND low-carb? No wonder you're having trouble.
  • Hi! Fellow vegan here. I find I actually do better with a high carb diet, but I might be able shed some light here. Seitan, tempeh, and tofu are all really high in protein and are vegan. As an example, 100 grams of seitan is 75 grams of protein and only 14 grams of carbs. I put them on my salads and pair it with dinner.
  • I'm sorry....vegan AND low-carb? No wonder you're having trouble.

No need to be snarky. OP was just asking a question, and there are plenty of low-carb vegans around (including my partner).
  • internalrhyme
    internalrhyme Posts: 10 Member
    i've been trying to load up on the tofu and seitan, which has been fairly easy.

cut me some slack, everyone -- this is only my first few days, and will adjust my macros gradually as needed. i'm TRYING to do low-carb, but it may not be sustainable, requiring me to up my carbs. i just thought it might be worth a shot, as it was something i'd never attempted even before going vegan over ten years ago. what's that saying, something about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    What's the point of low carb? Do you think it will assist with weight loss faster/better?

...You'd be wrong, if that's the case.

Keep at a calorie deficit, and you'll lose weight. Carbs are fuel, you don't want or need to cut them low. The general recommendation is .8g/lb of protein, .4g/lb of fat, and the rest of your diet filled with carbs.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member

cut me some slack, everyone -- this is only my first few days, and will adjust my macros gradually as needed. i'm TRYING to do low-carb, but it may not be sustainable, requiring me to up my carbs. i just thought it might be worth a shot, as it was something i'd never attempted even before going vegan over ten years ago. what's that saying, something about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results?

Have you tried a calorie deficit? Like an honest effort, including weighing your food and tracking ALL of your intake? I think you'll be surprised...
  • internalrhyme

Have you tried a calorie deficit? Like an honest effort, including weighing your food and tracking ALL of your intake? I think you'll be surprised...

yes, i certainly have. in fact i've been finding it difficult for the most part to meet the calorie requirement that MFP says i should. i track every single thing i eat, weigh things to be sure, and log exercise. i'm doing it "right" by the numbers, or trying my best (in regards to coming in under the calorie amount), so please don't assume that i'm doing things half-assed.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member

yes, i certainly have. in fact i've been finding it difficult for the most part to meet the calorie requirement that MFP says i should. i track every single thing i eat, weigh things to be sure, and log exercise. i'm doing it "right" by the numbers, or trying my best (in regards to coming in under the calorie amount), so please don't assume that i'm doing things half-assed.

Depending on what you're doing for exercise and how you are logging it, your burned calories logged can be wildly inaccurate without even really half-assing anything.

The issue is simple. If you were in a deficit, you would be losing. It takes a while for a drastic deficit to lead to an actual stall because of the effects it has on your body. Finding the source of the error can be a little trickier, especially if you're already tracking your food accurately.
  • internalrhyme
    Depending on what you're doing for exercise and how you are logging it, your burned calories logged can be wildly inaccurate without even really half-assing anything.

The issue is simple. If you were in a deficit, you would be losing. It takes a while for a drastic deficit to lead to an actual stall because of the effects it has on your body. Finding the source of the error can be a little trickier, especially if you're already tracking your food accurately.

of course if i were in a deficit i'd be losing, but i feel like a few days into it is too soon to know anything... i've only been doing moderate exercise for the most part these last few days (example: walking at a fast pace to/from public transit to/from work) and the calorie loss that MFP seems to indicate from that exercise seems reasonable to me.
  • internalrhyme
    Don't be offended. The vast majority of people who post with this question are not weighing their food or are not logging consistently, or both. When the commenter posted, they were not assuming, they were hearing hoofbeats and thinking horses, not zebras.

thanks for the reassurance! :)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member

of course if i were in a deficit i'd be losing, but i feel like a few days into it is too soon to know anything... i've only been doing moderate exercise for the most part these last few days (example: walking at a fast pace to/from public transit to/from work) and the calorie loss that MFP seems to indicate from that exercise seems reasonable to me.

Your feeling is correct. A few days is nothing in the weight loss world. It can take a week or two to really see the weight loss trend.

Here is a good read though since you're just starting out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It has some much more realistic/sustainable approaches to creating your calorie goal and being successful.
  • internalrhyme
    Your feeling is correct. A few days is nothing in the weight loss world. It can take a week or two to really see the weight loss trend.

Here is a good read though since you're just starting out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It has some much more realistic/sustainable approaches to creating your calorie goal and being successful.

great, thanks!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_

No need to be snarky. OP was just asking a question, and there are plenty of low-carb vegans around (including my partner).

I wasn't being snarky. I was genuinely confused. If I had to live on tofu and vegetables, I'd probably shoot myself in the head. Sounds like a recipe for failure to me, but if people are happy eating that stuff, more power to them.

...now please excuse me while I go eat my English muffin with bacon, egg, and cheese. Extra carbs and animal products for me, thanks.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    you cant be vegan and low carb
    you cant be low carb and low calorie either.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. Well, I guess you could, but it's so limiting, why would you? I'd probably starve. I wish people would stop thinking that carbs are the enemy. If you want to be a vegan, go for it, but cutting out a whole other group of food is just silly and pointless.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    You will NOT go into ketosis as a vegan. Even high-protein vegan foods still have too many carbs. I stay at 20 - 25 carbs a day to stay in ketosis. You'll get that in one serving of high-protein vegan food, even if counting as net. I second all the other posters - count calories.

I wish you could, but, unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to. If it makes you feel any better, I try to stay in ketosis for a health condition, but I don't diet that way - I diet by counting calories.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

That's what I thought too!

I agree with billieljaime.
    you cant be vegan and low carb
    you cant be low carb and low calorie either.

They all will work just find a diet that suits you.

You CAN be vegan and calorie count, expect carbs to monoploize at LEAST 70 percent of your diet.

Just be vegan and calorie count. Dont worry about "carbs" just make sure u find suitable foods to give you protein.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member

My first thought, as well. At some point, you run out of ways to nourish yourself.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    I've never understood why people react to an announcement of someone's vegan-ness with a list of all the animal products they eat.

Anyhow, OP: there's a forum of vegan bodybuilders, some of whom are low carb. I hope you can find some info there: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/index.php?sid=fdab7cab067abb3b08db250e80397922