hi! MFP n00b, vegan, attempting low-carb and having trouble

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    I am vegan as well and sometimes struggle with my carb intake. I noticed that if I reduce the amount of fruit and cereals during the day I will be fine.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    ...now please excuse me while I go eat my English muffin with bacon, egg, and cheese. Extra carbs and animal products for me, thanks.

i love how stupid this remark sounds :laugh:
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    I'm a vegetarian and I find it's hard sometimes to just not overload on carbs.. I try and not make pastas but I always do anyway. Plus I have a sweet tooth :(
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    I've done vegan and low carb using Rose Elliot's Low Carb Vegetarian cookbook, but it's very, very limited and not well balanced. And to add insult to injury I never even lost very much either so it's not something I'd do again or recommend to anyone else to try either.

One silver lining... I did learn an amazing mushroom and nutmeg sauce recipe from the book that goes beautifully with a baked potato though, LOL :D

Honestly though, I know it's slow and boring and cliched, but you'd be better off counting calories and eating a lot of vegetables and legumes as they're low calorie*. Think lentil and veg soups, salads with mixed beans, grains, tofu and low fat dressings, stir fries or curries in a tomato based sauce. Shy away from most fake meats and cheeses are they are quite high calorie- when I have them I usually use a box of veggie chorizo over 3-4 meals instead of 1-2 and bulk it up with vegetables and legumes (which is good advice for meat eaters using real chorizo too, lol) Doing as much exercise as you can fit in will buy you a bigger deficit too. HTH x

*eta sorry I've cross-posted, had this tab opened hours ago before your other replies.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    ...now please excuse me while I go eat my English muffin with bacon, egg, and cheese. Extra carbs and animal products for me, thanks.

Why does it sound stupid?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member

How typical. Either come up with an actual reason for the insult or get out of here with that passive-aggressive crap.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I'm sorry....vegan AND low-carb? No wonder you're having trouble.

This. Vegan and low carb do not go together. Either stick to vegan and eat lots of plant foods (CARBS!) and absolutely include coconut oil, or do something different.

Good luck with your health.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    OP, I don't know anything about veganism, but I do know how to lose weight. Calorie deficit. I think you are worrying a little too soon, give it at least a couple of weeks and see what happens. I believe that in time you will get your macros figured out.....everyone does eventually, it takes time. Keep at it with a good attitude and you will succeed. Good luck!
  • Vegan and low carb? I'm not thinking that is going to work. LOL
  • juliafromrf

I've been a vegetarian since my childhood and I can't even count how often I've heard something similar. It just annoys me when people feel the need to tell how happy they are to consume animal products. It's perfectly fine if you like your burger/bacon/whatever, but why post it in a thread about veganism? There is just no point to it and that's why I think it is stupid.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I would focus first on getting the right calories day to day. I don't know if you mean that you're struggling to hit your calorie goals, as in you are under or over. Maybe do this for a week or two of solid logging. Then, once you have a routine of foods that help you fit your calories for the day, look through your diary and see what your highest protein, fat, and carbohydrate foods are.

I'm vegetarian and I don't get a full 20% of protein most days (most days I'm 15-18%). I had been more to the tune of 10-12% some days because I didn't realize just how little protein was in products that seemed like they should be full of protein, like my favorite lentil soup.

Good luck! Try not too change too much at once!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member

I've been a vegetarian since my childhood and I can't even count how often I've heard something similar. It just annoys me when people feel the need to tell how happy they are to consume animal products. It's perfectly fine if you like your burger/bacon/whatever, but why post it in a thread about veganism? There is just no point to it and that's why I think it is stupid.

If you're so happy with your vegetarian lifestyle, me saying I'm happy with my non-vegetarian lifestyle wouldn't bother you nearly as much as it clearly does. Sorry, but not sorry.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Being vegan and low-carb is extremely hard. I honestly dont think its a good idea. What you COULD try, and its something I do is instead of saying "I'm Low-Carb" say you want to reduce the ammount of PROCESSED carbs you eat. Because freuits and veggies (which are your staples) are carb heavy, your carb counter will constantly discourage you if you look soely at the NUMBERof carbs you eat rather than the QUALITY.

I'm a vegetarian, and I personally only try and restrict processed carbs, and even then I'm not a nazi about it, I just consciously try to eat less of them.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I agree that there is no reason to do low carb, and you may want to up your carbs if it gets too difficult for you. Here are some good protein sources including vegan ones:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member

If you're so happy with your vegetarian lifestyle, me saying I'm happy with my non-vegetarian lifestyle wouldn't bother you nearly as much as it clearly does. Sorry, but not sorry.
    IT's more the way you said it, putting it in her face. Was a little rude.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member

How typical. Either come up with an actual reason for the insult or get out of here with that passive-aggressive crap.
    Because commenting on your "extra carbs and animal products" breakfast on a post about veganism isn't passive aggressive... mmhmm...
  • juliafromrf

I'm perfectly happy with my lifestyle choices, thanks.
    I will not deny that my post was probably equally unnecessary, but sometimes I really ask myself what's the motivation behind comments like the one you posted.
    Anyway, enjoy your day.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    I'm vegan, too, and I've changed up eating as many beans and SERIOUSLY INCREASING my protein numbers by eating Organic Mung Bean fettucini: http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/mungbean_nutrition.aspx

25 GRAMS of protein!!!
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    I'm vegan, too, and I've changed up eating as many beans and SERIOUSLY INCREASING my protein numbers by eating Organic Mung Bean fettucini: http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/mungbean_nutrition.aspx

25 GRAMS of protein!!!

Oh, and only 17 carbs per serving, but 11 are FIBER!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member

IT's more the way you said it, putting it in her face. Was a little rude.

But THAT right there is the problem... Society has to be so politically correct, it's expected for us to coddle people as well as to never crack a joke, even every now and then. She didn't verbally attack anyone. She's just stating her love for a non-vegan/vegetarian lifestyle in joking manner. There was nothing rude about it. It's called having a sense of humor.