Talking behind people's backs

Options
I go walking over lunch break with a woman who has perhaps never had a weight problem. I'm down to about 6lbs overweight, and I look almost like I'm a healthy weight and I exercise a lot. So this woman keeps bringing up the subject of "fat people" and complaining about people in the organization who are "too fat" and who don't exercise. And I feel really uncomfortable. Should I try to explain how hard it is to stop eating to someone who has maybe never experienced that before?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Nah, the best thing to do with stupid people is to let them stew in their own stupid.

Just say nothing, make a mental not that she's a toolbag and, find a new walking buddy.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    She probably won't care/believe what you tell her about the why. I'd just tell her that you prefer not to talk about other people on your trips. Or if she's turned you off, just say you've decided to become one of the non-exercisers so you can't join her anymore.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Ironic post is ironic.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Point out the strengths and nice things about the person she is running down. Try to get her to see past weight.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'd say something. I feel fake when I don't. I'd just say- you know I like you, but hacking on people makes me feel ****ty. Please stop it.

She'll go home sleep on it, and probably apologize, then thank you for calling her out.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Nah, the best thing to do with stupid people is to let them stew in their own stupid.

Just say nothing, make a mental not that she's a toolbag and, find a new walking buddy.

This
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    She probably won't care/believe what you tell her about the why. I'd just tell her that you prefer not to talk about other people on your trips. Or if she's turned you off, just say you've decided to become one of the non-exercisers so you can't join her anymore.

So much of this!!

I definitely wouldn't bother trying to "enlighten" this woman but I would let her know that I'm not a member of "Team Holier Than Thou".

Most of my female friends are really great about NOT dissing others behind their backs. A few still have a long way to go in that area. I am not saying that I never ever gossip...if someone just made a horrible life decision or said something really rude to another friend, I'll probably have a catty little conversation with my closest girlfriends about it. Not gonna lie.

But I am not into cheap shots on peoples' weight, clothes, hair, etc. When I'm around them and they start in with that stuff on someone else who isn't present, I make a point of saying something nice about the person and dropping the topic. They almost always notice and shut up. Sometimes I'll even say something about staying positive, or remind them that we've all had our moments like that bad perm or whatever.

This is definitely something I have noticed as we all age. In our 20s my friends and I were more likely to rake another friend over the coals for her bad outfit and now we're like "Yep, that's Kate...she does not give a f*** sometimes" and just laugh in a nice way.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I like this quote...

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

-Eleanor Roosevelt
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Personally, I disagree with this. I don't think it helps to keep people ignorant and in the dark about their own ignorance. How many times in your life have you been a total sh*thead and then someone pulls you aside and said "hey, when you do this thing, it hurts my feelings/bothers me/etc" and then you made a chance to be a better person?

If she's like this with you in "private", I'm sure it comes off in public as well. I'd think of it as doing all the other "fat people" she runs across a favor. Maybe she'll be a little more sensitive in the future. Maybe not, but I'd at least try.
  • Achrya
    Options

Personally, I disagree with this. I don't think it helps to keep people ignorant and in the dark about their own ignorance. How many times in your life have you been a total sh*thead and then someone pulls you aside and said "hey, when you do this thing, it hurts my feelings/bothers me/etc" and then you made a chance to be a better person?

If she's like this with you in "private", I'm sure it comes off in public as well. I'd think of it as doing all the other "fat people" she runs across a favor. Maybe she'll be a little more sensitive in the future. Maybe not, but I'd at least try.

Never.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I agree with letting the coworker know that her behavior is out of line...definitely. Even if she's simply told "I don't really like to talk about other peoples' appearance/eating habits/exercise or lack thereof".

When I was younger, I was pretty negative sometimes and not always on the right track. A few friends made comments to me about how negative I was and it really caused me to rethink some things and has helped lead me into a better way. I am happier. If they had just let me stew in my own ignorance I'd probably still be really negative and catty and not have a clue why I lost a lot of positive friends.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Stay out of it and say nothing to her. Even if you compliment the people she insults, you'll just look like a gossip to the rest of the world for talking to her. Do not engage.
  • thepetiterunner
    Options

Never.

Or perhaps everyone's taken your approach and never told you that you've been insensitive.
  • Achrya
    Options

Never.

Or perhaps everyone's taken your approach and never told you that you've been insensitive.

...isn't that what 'Never' implies? I mean...what did you think 'never' meant in this context, exactly?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you value her friendship, then say something. If you don't care to have her as a friend, decide whether saying something is worth the effort. Don't assume that she's never had a weight problem. There are plenty of former fat people out there who are very vocal about their disdain for fat people. They either figure that if they can do it, everyone else can and should, or they still have their own issues leftover from when they were fat that they need to work through.
  • thepetiterunner
    Options

Never.

...isn't that what 'Never' implies? I mean...what did you think 'never' meant in this context, exactly?

I took it to mean you did not think you'd been insensitive to someone else before.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep. I would, at least to give a different perspective.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This.
  • Achrya
    Options

Never.

I took it to mean you did not think you'd been insensitive to someone else before.

Oh.

Well. I see.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't explain anything to her but i would let her know that i don't want to have that, or perhaps any, conversation with her. i'm not going to lecture people but i'm not going to have my time wasted either