Men of MFP, I want your opinions!

Options
nineteentwenty
nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
Hi!

I'm an industrial design student, and I am about to design a line of health food and clean-eating appliances geared to sell to the men of the healthy living movement. My research so far shows that many appliances geared toward personal health are either androgynous or feminine in appearance, and a bit expensive. Some even look like something you'd find in a medical office.

What features would you want to see in products aimed at your demographic? Both visually and technologically. I am focusing on designing a food scale, a single-serving smoothie blender, and an olive oil mister.

Thanks for your replies, you're all such a great help.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Food scale that calls you Big Daddy. Blender in the shape of a busty mermaid. Olive oil mister that groans with each spray.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    A protein drink cup in the shape of an *kitten*
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Food scale that calls you Big Daddy. Blender in the shape of a busty mermaid. Olive oil mister that groans with each spray.

Additionally everything should be in the shape of melons or peaches.

If this cant be achieved make sure it looks like a Georgia O'Keeffe painting.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of partial to leopard print, faux fur. Am I the only one?
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really care what my appliances look like as long as they do the job they were intended for. I don't judge my manliness based on the colour or size of my tool.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I so want an olive oil dispenser that groans
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of partial to leopard print, faux fur. Am I the only one?

Leopard print blender called The Cougar?
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

All of this.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    clean-eating appliances....like something that washes your food before you eat it?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Looks like all the fun comments have been done. So, everything has to be brushed metal for me. And if you must have LEDs then they need to be blue.

And attached to a 6 litre V8. It should sound a bit like this: http://youtu.be/3ZiLTMCY4_Q?t=1m3s
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really care what my appliances look like as long as they do the job they were intended for. I don't judge my manliness based on the colour or size of my tool.

Easy to say when you're packing that kinda heat.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Here is the only appliance a man needs.

tumblr_msvb3oXGXi1sh0lomo1_500.jpg
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    STAINLESS STEEL!!!!
  • twiggypal
    twiggypal Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hi i'll offer my input for what its worth.

food scale - not interested

a single-serving smoothie blender - if you can design one that cleans easily or self cleaning (not possible) then id be interested. no fiddly parts to take apart to wash..one piece, Maybe an screw on/off separate storage compartment for the next smoothie.....mmm smoothies.

an olive oil mister - again, im not getting aroused at all by that idea.

Good luck inventor
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I …. don't judge my manliness based on the colour or size of my tool.

Hurrrrrrr
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Camouflage and built-in Bluetooth get my vote.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Olive oil mister that groans with each spray.

Great, I just busted out laughing at my desk. Thanks!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily want my appliances to look particularly "manly", those just make you look like you're over compensating, or possibly gay (no offence intended, just my personal opinion). As long as it isn't feminine, I'm cool with it.

If I were going to fashionable/stylist tools in the kitchen, I'd want something smooth, simple (as a designer, you should always strive to keep a functional object as simple as possible), clean lines, with an industrial/modern look. Luxurious and high quality fit and finish trumps cheap and cheerful any day.