A groaning mister. I'd buy it.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    A motor-boating meat tenderizer.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Well this thread is kind of a disappointment. What say you design a line of appliance for humans? I mean, seriously, Have we not moved past this **** already? This makes about as much sense as those stupid pens for lady hands last year. Men are going to buy the best quality appliance for the price, unless you actively exclude us from the market by making something Barbie pink with rainbows all over it. Just like women are going to buy the best quality for the price, unless you actively exclude them from the market. I swear, I think marketing has reached a point where it is so far up it's own *kitten* that it actually works to reduce sales rather than expand them.

Marketing is about selling to crowds, not really really passionate egalitarian individuals.

Very few firms will make a products to appeal to you.

There is a rich history of gender-based marketing fails that disagrees with you. Particularly in the last decade. Look no further than Bic walking back their lady pens last year after that marketing fiasco. Or the dozens of various tech products designed for women. Likewise with the number of men's H&B products that fail. Sure, a few of those survive because they have merit as products. That happens in spite of their marketing. As a rule, this type of thinking is fading fast from the marketing landscape because it simply doesn't move product.

In other words, it takes a special kind of insecure man to buy a product of lesser quality simply because it has "Fer Menz!!!" on the package.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    are you serious? friend me and I can help you out :)
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I'll reply for my husband. He has a red/green color deficiency. More men than women have these issues with color blindness. He's always aggravated with appliances, etc., because the display color isn't something he can always see. Even gas pumps give him trouble sometimes. Design something with a white display instead of the usual red. You'd make his day. And make it high contrast, too, while you're at it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm a big fan of technology. i want things that sync up with each other. a food scale that would hook up to the MFP food diary? yes please.

i like things being sleek and compact, but not miniaturized. i don't want it to be huge either. i guess the word i'm looking for is sturdy.

oooh, also, sometimes i'm loading my plate on the food scale, and it's a normal sized dinner plate, and not i can't see the controls. not only that, the plate is resting on the non-scale parts of the machine, throwing the weight off. what if the scale had a bit of a scissor lift capability, where you unlatch it, and it rises up, re-locking in place. and then you weigh your food!
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    And I'm serious about the olive oil mister.

can it be one of the dual mister, oil on one side, whiskey on the other. Both sides moan, just different so you know which one you are pouring. Dont want to add olive oil to your coke when you are drunk.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is. .make it into a game. . so a coffeemaker where you have to toss the k-cup into the a slot from across the room. .
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Whatever you make, brand it "Special Forces".
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not a guy but I think I can offer you some insight...

First, you're barking up the wrong tree. Most guys don't do gadgets and if they do, it's because a woman in their life bought it for them.

Men SO do gadgets. Just maybe not kitchen ones.

A smoothie maker that is easy to clean ANYONE would buy though, to be fair.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Something that is easy for my wife to use and clean. :glasses:
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm an industrial design student, and I am about to design a line of health food and clean-eating appliances geared to sell to the men of the healthy living movement. My research so far shows that many appliances geared toward personal health are either androgynous or feminine in appearance, and a bit expensive. Some even look like something you'd find in a medical office.

What features would you want to see in products aimed at your demographic? Both visually and technologically. I am focusing on designing a food scale, a single-serving smoothie blender, and an olive oil mister.

Thanks for your replies, you're all such a great help.

For me it's all about functionality - I could care less about the color palette.

For the food scale: have the display extend from the weighing surface... for instance, the pet peeve I have with my current scale is that when I put a plate on the scale (and zero it out), the plate extends over the display and I have to change my viewing angle or "hold" the reading so I can move the plate. Extend the display so I can read it regardless of what I put on it. Maybe have a multi-tare function where you can store various vessels and often-used weights. Metric and Standard units (ounces, and pounds/ounces).

A single serving smoothie blender seems more like a novelty buy than a practical one. Why would I buy a single serve blender over a regular one? I will say this: don't use buttons for variable speeds. No one understands or cares what the difference is between "blend" and "chop". Use a dial and then the user can adjust to the exact speed they need. Also, do NOT use a round container. Multiple straight sides are best for blending. A more quiet, yet powerful motor would be nice too.

I would never buy a dedicated "mister" for olive oil. I would go to Walmart, the $1 store, or Harbor Freight and get generic spray bottle(s) that aren't priced higher because they say they can be used for a specific item. Sure, you could make the spray heads various novelty items, but I will always choose function over form when it comes to kitchen tools. IF you were to make a mister, I would encourage a larger intake that can handle viscous and non-viscous liquids alike. It has various settings for misting and stream. And most importantly: it doesn't leak. Kids knock things over and don't always put things back.

There's my .02. Coming from the cook in our house.

If you'd like me to elaborate or you need more feedback, feel free to message me.

Steve
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I did buy a panini press/counter top grill because it also came with waffle plates. My old waffle makers was worn out so it seems like a good value.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    There is a rich history of gender-based marketing fails that disagrees with you. Particularly in the last decade. Look no further than Bic walking back their lady pens last year after that marketing fiasco. Or the dozens of various tech products designed for women. Likewise with the number of men's H&B products that fail. Sure, a few of those survive because they have merit as products. That happens in spite of their marketing. As a rule, this type of thinking is fading fast from the marketing landscape because it simply doesn't move product.

In other words, it takes a special kind of insecure man to buy a product of lesser quality simply because it has "Fer Menz!!!" on the package.

Your personal contempt for the preferences and gender expression of others does not impact the accuracy of my observations.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    A food scale with bluetooth and an app would be awesome. That way we can input/scan what we are weighing and be able to save that info or send to other apps like MFP.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    And as I said before, a square design is my preference. A square food scale with an attachable hard lid to protect the scale would be great.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm an industrial design student, and I am about to design a line of health food and clean-eating appliances geared to sell to the men of the healthy living movement. My research so far shows that many appliances geared toward personal health are either androgynous or feminine in appearance, and a bit expensive. Some even look like something you'd find in a medical office.

What features would you want to see in products aimed at your demographic? Both visually and technologically. I am focusing on designing a food scale, a single-serving smoothie blender, and an olive oil mister.

Thanks for your replies, you're all such a great help.

I think the food scale should look like a boob. That would totally be geared to men. It should be of solid size and weight and fit well in the hand...Be creative as to how it spritzes. Don't make the single serving smoothie blender....There's not a great market for that.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options

Your personal contempt for the preferences and gender expression of others does not impact the accuracy of my observations.

That's what I thought.