Options
    Yummy! Bump for later...
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    (A) Greek yogurt does NOT belong in guacamole

(B) Guacamole NEVER goes in the blender

THIS!!!

I am a big fan of cilantro, so we use a bunch of cilantro...

(C)

Cilantro does NOT belong in guacamole.

: laugh :

Agree to disagree friend!

See, Jessica? This is how it's done!

(Kruggeri, I was going to say, "If you want your guac to taste like crap, then by all means, add cilantro," but I'm trying to set a good example for Jessica. =P)

Ha ha ha! I'm all about trying to set good examples in the forums...

I also recognize that cilantro is a very polarizing herb. I love it. My brother in law thinks it tastes like soap. :)

My boyfriend and I both adore cilantro as well! We put it in tacos, guac, salsa, quinoa. sandwiches, salads... etc. etc. My little brother, however, hates it with a fiery passion. Which is totally fine. More for me. :wink:
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is SO GOOD.

4-6 avocados
    1/4 cup corn
    At least 1/4 cup salsa
    Garlic salt
    Splash some lemon juice in there
    Profit :)

Avocados with some salt by themselves are delicious, avocados go really well with tomatoes as a little snack, and also with cheese (or all three together). I put them on my eggs, eat them with fajitas, tacos, stuffed peppers, tortilla soup, sandwiches, bacon... actually most of the things I make. There was a point in time where I was eating an avocado a day pretty consistently, and I always have 2 or 3 getting ripe on my counter. I buy like 2 every time I go to the store, since they're never ripe when you buy them, to replace the ones we're eating that day :)

Also, it is so cool/weird that almost everyone who hates cilantro thinks it tastes like soap. I know it is genetic, but still, so interesting!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    IMO: Simplicty is the key to GREAT guacamole.

Avocado, garlic, and tomatoes and onions. PERIOD

FIFY :flowerforyou:
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Do a quick internet search for barefoot contessa guacamole...very quick & easy, and super yummy!
  • xostarchickaxo
    xostarchickaxo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use 2 avocados, mashed not blended, diced red onion, diced tomatoes, juice of one lime, lots of cilantro chopped, and a little bit of kosher salt. No need to add extra spice, unless you want it hot you could add some diced jalapeño peppers. I usually eat it with carrot sticks, or I'll make my own low carb tortilla chips from low calorie low carb wraps (just cut into triangles and bake them for about 10-12 minutes until crispy).

^^ this. very similar to what you get in the mexican restaurants, and it's way less sodium than using one of the mix packets you find in the produce section at the store.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas. I love avacados!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options
    This wont be the BEST recipe but it is certainly the QUICKEST.

Spoon out an avocado. Mix up with a few tablespoons of store bought salsa from a jar. Done.

I like spreading avocado on a cracker with a sprinkle of garlic salt. Apparently in Mexico it is known as poor man's butter.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    tag for avocado awesome-ness
  • shelliewhitmore
    shelliewhitmore Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds Hot! But yummy...do you eat it with anything particular? I want to avoid chips...thanks!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Sounds Hot! But yummy...do you eat it with anything particular? I want to avoid chips...thanks!

I use guacamole for dipping raw veg like carrot and cucumber sticks, and raw snow peas. The same way I use hummous. If you want something starchy and crunchy that is not fried I would suggest one of the following hacks:

1. Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil, and place a single layer of wonton wrappers on it. Lightly spray the surface with oil and season with salt. Bake at 200C for 8-10 minutes. Keep a close on eye on them because the difference between crisping, browning, and burning is about minute.

2. Buy dry supermarket pappadams that you are meant to deep fried at home. Microwave on high for 30-60 seconds until puffed up overall.

3. Or just buy low fat crackers such as Ryvita or Finn Crisp.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump! I want to save this for later, I love guacamole!
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I keep mine simple but delicious! I get plenty of compliments at football gatherings :) I use about 4 avocados (I can easily eat all of it in one sitting, 4 is me being stingy). 1 tomato, 2 garlic cloves finely minced, lemon/lime juice, kosher salt and pepper to taste. I prefer eating mine with tortilla chips bought from a whole-in-the-wall Mexican market. They make them daily and are the best freaking chips EVER. Also the best carnitas but that is for a different post :)

I use a manual food processor to mix it all together. Gets it mixed thoroughly while still keeping it chunky.

I LOATHE raw onions, so unless my boyfriend begs me to make a 2nd batch, they don't come near my guac!
  • trc1217
    trc1217 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like putting mashed Avocado on whole grain toast and topping with a fried egg.
  • Beckylynn380
    Beckylynn380 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    FYI, avocado is a fruit! :wink:

Yummy guacamole is all about lime and cilantro, seriously. I generally use 4 avocadoes, mash them up, and then I juice 2-3 large limes. Yes, it's a lot, but it's delish! Chop up a bunch of cilantro, some red onion, some jalapeno, some chopped tomatoes, and mix in a little garlic powder and salt to taste. I don't have a set recipe, but I mix in all the above until it's pretty and tasty! Trust me, you don't need anything else...this will taste awesome. To save calories, I dip celery sticks instead of chips, but Hint of Lime Tostitos are the best. :)
  • acpgee
    Options
    Another way I like to use avocado is in California sushi rolls. Hand rolls are the least labor intensive version of this dish.

http://www.noobcook.com/california-temaki/
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options

kdiamond has a pretty good one, though I don't use tomatoes or lime. The flavor of the guac is supposed to be dominated by the avocado. Avocado, cilantro, white onion and salt. That's all you need. Mash it with a fork and err on the side of undersalting the guac itself, since the chips are likely to be salty. The other ingredients can be done to taste. I personally like a lot of onion and just a small handful of cilantro.

:love: I made ^^^ this over the weekend (without the cilantro because IMO that is the most foul taste on God's li'l green planet.)
    To die for. Oh, and I added a clove of garlic. Yum, yum, yum.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    (A) Greek yogurt does NOT belong in guacamole

(B) Guacamole NEVER goes in the blender

kdiamond has a pretty good one, though I don't use tomatoes or lime. The flavor of the guac is supposed to be dominated by the avocado. Avocado, cilantro, white onion and salt. That's all you need. Mash it with a fork and err on the side of undersalting the guac itself, since the chips are likely to be salty. The other ingredients can be done to taste. I personally like a lot of onion and just a small handful of cilantro.

I don't object to tomato or lime or jalapenos, but being the Texas boy that I am and having grown up with a Mexican father, I believe in the purity of the guac. So, I leave the frills out and could always add those things after the fact if I want to. I can also dip the chip in salsa as well as guac; no need to mix the two.

As for how to eat it, if you don't want to have chips or tacos or chalupas or something like that, then you can always dip veggies in it. Not my choice or preference, but I suppose you could. Ultimately, good guac is worth the calories from chips. Just eat the damn chips. :wink:

I do the same, but use seasoning salt, lightly to not over salt and a lil garlic powder. Keep it simple and not change the taste much. A little lime too. I heard that it helps prevent the color change to brown.
  • carafes
    carafes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mission makes a brilliant 'carb balance' wrap that has nearly all your daily fiber in one wrap!! Must be carb balance (the companies other wraps have less than 3 grams of fiber). Anyway I like to toast these with garlic powder and sometimes cheese - WAY better than chips and hooray on fiber!!