VERY SERIOUS QUESTION 2 ASK! PLEAZ READ EVERY 1!!

Options
I NEED 2 ASK EVERY 1, ANY 1 THAT READS THIS! PLEAZZZ HELP ME... HOW MANY OF U OUT HERE HAVE KIDS, ARE FOSTER PARENTS, ARE GRAND PARENTS, ARE RAISING YOUR GRKIDS ?
NOW FOR THE QUESTION; HOW MANY OF U ARE RAISING, OR HAVE RAISED KIDS WITH OUT SPANKIN YOUR KIDS? HOW WELL DID THEY GROW UP? HOW DID YOU SUBSTITUTE PUNISHMENT FOR SPANKING? , I BELIEVE THAT U CAN TAKE THIER CELLS AWAY, PUT THEM ON RESTRICTION, ETC; U DONT HAVE 2 SPANK!!!!! PLEAZ ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS, I WILL B WATCHIN TILL ABOUT 1 15 FOR ANSWERS!!! TY, PAMMY

Replies

• SJSchwartz
    Options
    I'd say at that age they are too old for spankings. Taking privelidges away is what I would do. What's the most important thing in their lives right now? Cell phones, extracurricular activities, computer time, hanging out with friends, etc... Make them earn it! It's not a RIGHT that they have, it's a privelidge. And be CONSISTANT. If you tell them they have to do this or that, and if they don't then they can't use the computer for a day.. then stick with it! Don't give in to their tears because they're just playing you when they try and cry their way into getting their own way. In the long run, they'll respect you if you're consistant. If you're not, they'll look at you as a weak doormat.
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was spanked as a child. I have turned out just fine, no resentment towards parents or anything like that. I am a good person, good student, hard worker. I also respect my parents. I am not afraid of my parents in any way. I know that they only spanked me when necessary NEVER JUST TO HURT AND NEVER MORE THAN ONE SPANK! My parents actually talked to a psychologist and learned the "right way" to spank. I see no problem with it whatsoever.
  • heymommy0
    Options
    I have to agree spanking at those ages are to old, I have 3 children 7, 4 and 1 I do delieve in spanking as a last resort, there are so many other things that you can do to punish them. Good luck I hope everything works out for the best.
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That's true about the ages. I stopped being spanked when I was probably about nine as far as I can remember. After that it was things like no TV or not being able to have sleepovers at friends' houses. I never was spanked that often anyway. My sister and I were usually pretty good kids.
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    A man spanking teens and preteens is questionable. It doesn't work, and it is kind of creepy.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Corporal punishement is unacceptable.

I don't have kids, but I have 2 nieces & 2 nephews. All four of them have been brought up with time outs and 'losing priviledges' as well as given rewards for acceptable/example behaviours. Unfortunately, spanking is an option for those who are doing the best they can with what they know. Most likely spankers were spankees and were never tought other tools to manage frustrations and parenting tools.

I cringe when I see adults treating children with violence (hitting/spanking is a form of violence) and it continues the cycle of violence. It's showing our children that when you love someone (like parents often tell their childre) you can hit them if they don't behave the way you want them to. I also cringe when I see adults speaking to children with violent communication (i.e. anger in their voices, using foul language etc...). We need to show our children how to love, and that is with hugs, respect and talking things out. Yes, this method takes more patience and time - but is it not what parenthood about?
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi Pammy,
    I have 4 children ages 19,16,15 and 13. The only time I ever layed a hand on them was when it was open defiance. I once spanked my daughter when she was much younger and that is it. I feel taking something away works much better. Depending on their age. Losing their cell phone, no tv, not seeing their friends. Spanking should be the last resort. It makes your kids terrified of you. They don't learn anything. I rather they not like me because I took something away then be scared to come to me. Speaking calmly and finding out why did something happen makes so much more sense.Spanking is done out of anger not out of trying to help the child. There has to be consequences for certain actions.
    The man in your life sounds like a bully. Either do what I say or I'm leaving you. It doesn't seem like he really cares about your feelings.
  • peanut352
    peanut352 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can def discipline without spanking! You take privileges away, the things they care about the most and they will start to listen up! Every now and then they might need that firm grip of the arm to get their attention, but I dont think hitting does a damn thing.

I have a 21 yr old son, and an 18 year old daughter, both are in college and working. My husband and I were fairly strict parents, but only by words, never by spanking or hitting. Your just teaching them to hit when you do that.

I dont think "the man in your life" deserves to have any say on how you discipline.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I am not any of the above, but I was raised in a house with a very clear view on the subject. I was never spanked. Also, I've applied to adopt and here there is a full week parenting course that prospective parents have to take on how to discipline your chiildren without spanking. At the ages you're talking about, if it hasn't been how they have been raised, my guess is that it would not be a good idea to start, especially since you aren't their parents. I don't know the story, but if a chlidren's agency has ever been involved then if you spank, you run the risk of losing custody of the children immediately (or you would where I live). They have a zero tolerance policy.

Let's just say that coming out of a home with no spanking, I am a productive member of society with good morals, values and a strong work ethic. I have a healthy respect for my parents but absolutely no fear. I do have a fear of disappointing them though. I know though, from having this discussion with a multitude of people, that this is a subject that many people feel very strongly about and it is possible that you and your guy will not come to an agreement on the topic.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Too old to spank, plus there are much better ways to discipline. Spanking a child that age is humiliating and just plain wrong!
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    I would be VERY worried that this man wants to spank your grandchildren. Unfortunately kids don't get to pick who their parents bring in their life.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I feel for you....I know what you are feeling. I had a daughter and then married another man and had a son with him. He also wanted me to spank her....but never wanted his son spanked.
    I refused to spank either one because there are other ways of dealing with things. Looking back on things I can see it was his way
    of showing her who was boss..meaning him.
    I would not let him spank even though he was her step dad and I surely wouldn't let anyone else spank her., if he is using that as a threat he is bullying you into something you may feel is wrong so why worry about if he stays or not? I know for me I have had
    bullies and I refuse to have anymore!
    Good Luck

Mary
  • Christy4027
    Options
    "The man in your life" has no legal right to lay a hand on those children. If he touches them, he may well face assault charges and you may well face losing custody for allowing it to happen. All it takes is for one of the kids to tell a teacher or a friend's parents and have it reported. A man who is trying to convince you to allow him to hit people you love, against your wishes, needs to be shown the door. Or at least make sure he is never alone with them.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It appears to me that the man in your life is trying to be just as controlling over you, as he is over your grandchildren. A man who loves you and cares for you doesn't threaten to leave because he can't hit your grandkids. A discussion over how they should be punished is appropriate. Threats to leave are not. And IMO, step parents/step grandparents/ boyfriends/ etc should not be he ones doing the punishing anyway. It creates resentment between the child and the step parent. In my life, a man who wants to hit my kids can just see his way out the door.

My husband used to spank, and I am not a spanker. We have 5 kids, 2 his, 2 mine, one ours. Most of them in the same age ranges as yours. And I agree that spanking, whether you believe in it or not, is not appropriate at this age regardless.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Your problems are deeper than spanking. You and your mate need to resolve your own issues first. Have to meet this problem with a consolidated front.

Secondly, I'm not a proponent of spanking, not do I believe that there might not be a need. I rarely spanked my children. I can count the spankings I gave my girls on one hand, and that was when they were very young. On the other hand, my wife and I discuss every situation together and when we cousel/punish/reward our children we do so together. We don't hash it out in front of them.

Here's the kicker, though. When we come to a decision and go forward, whatever we decided IS GOING TO HAPPEN. We give respect, we expect respect, but in our home, we are definitley in charge.

A little discipline, whether corporal punishment, or grounding/restriction, etc., is good for your child. They'll be better off for it and they'll thank you later. Ours did.
  • CHANGES4ME
    CHANGES4ME Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    TY ALL OF U FOR YOUR ANSWERS, I LOOK 4WARDS 2 READING MORE OF ANSWERS TO THIS POLL QUESTION! HOW MANY OF U'AL'S KIDS WERE SPANKED WHEN THEY REPEAT SUM THING THEY WERE PUNISHED FOR... LIKE SNEAKIN OFF, OR TO GO SUM WHERE.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    I see no problem with a swat or two with a young child that is acting out and being defiant. At the age your grandchildren are, spanking is a waste of time. They are going to get angry and thats about it. Take away whats important to them, cell phone, video game or whatever. I use to also have my teenagers give me an essay, report or whatever explaining why what they did caused the punishment and why it was unacceptable behavior. Those papers were meant to assure me they understood, sometimes they had alot more insight than I had even thought about! I also have a HUGE problem with a man wanting to spank teens who are not even related to him! Red flag!!
  • jesse14472
    Options
    I have spanked in the past, but only as a last resort and only maybe a handfull of times for either of my children. I think your grandchildren are too old and will only resent the fact, thus promoting more acting out. Revoking privileges works well with my son @ 12 yrs old. I also assign a dreaded chore. The one that they both hate.....picking up the dog poop in the back yard! Good luck!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    The issue on the table is not discipline-- it's this guy trying to tell you what to do with your grandkids???? Huh? And there's even a question? Tell this bum to hit the road. How is there even a question in your mind?
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    Spanking is the lazy mans solution to dealing with problems & behavioral issues!!! NEVER SPANK YOUR CHILDREN!!! youre setting an example that hitting and violence are okay!!!! i know that a lot of people would argue that they were spanked & turned out fine & i'm sure that is accurate but WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU TAKE THAT CHANCE?!?!? kids CAN be reasoned with (ESP AT THAT AGE). people use spanking as a tool to teach, yet when your child hits someone you yell at them, right? TOTAL DOUBLE STANDARD! i have a degree in psychology & have studied a lot about this issue.. bottom line is... do NOT use physical punishment!!!!