What made you decide to start losing weight?

Options
Hi everyone, I am new here. I just created an account. I have 50 kilos to lose in order to reach my goal weight. I haven't been in the healthy weight range since I was 15 (I'm now 26).

I've had overweight family and close friends in the past, but they have all lost weight recently, and I'm sick of being the fat one. I'm sick of looking fat in all of my clothes, I'm sick of looking twice as large as everyone else in photos... I don't even
really bother to do my hair and makeup nicely anymore, because there doesn't seem to be any point, cause I'll still be fat. I'm sick of the look of disgust that I get from people who I haven't seen in a while (it's like they can't believe I still haven't lost weight since they last saw me).

But the final straw was going to see a musical with my skinny friends and barely being able to fit in the seat. I couldn't enjoy the show, as I was so uncomfortable the whole time. That was when I decided to do something about my weight. So I joined Lite N Easy, and today was my first day.

Why did everyone else decide to lose weight? What was the final straw? I'd love to hear your stories.

Replies

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    11 months ago today, my husband and I were talking about all the traveling we want to do now that our kids are grown, gone and off the payroll. It hit me that there was no way I could enjoy any of it at my current weight of 295 lbs. If I couldn't even walk across the grocery store parking lot without being short of breath, how was I going to handle the rigors of travel? So, I made a change that day and the next and the next. 336 days and 106 lbs later, I'm not yet at my goal, but I can walk 10+ miles a day on a trip and handle it with ease. I will get to my goal (in 44 more lbs), but I've already gotten the big prize. I've gained the confidence and health to do whatever I choose without regards to my weight.
  • TurquoiseStar
    Options
    11 months ago today, my husband and I were talking about all the traveling we want to do now that our kids are grown, gone and off the payroll. It hit me that there was no way I could enjoy any of it at my current weight of 295 lbs. If I couldn't even walk across the grocery store parking lot without being short of breath, how was I going to handle the rigors of travel? So, I made a change that day and the next and the next. 336 days and 106 lbs later, I'm not yet at my goal, but I can walk 10+ miles a day on a trip and handle it with ease. I will get to my goal (in 44 more lbs), but I've already gotten the big prize. I've gained the confidence and health to do whatever I choose without regards to my weight.

Congrats to you! this was truly inspiring to me!
  • Zardeenah
    Zardeenah Posts: 15
    Options
    Last summer I went to a wedding. A month or so after I saw pictures of myself from the wedding, and I looked terrible. Then I finally weighed myself and "found out" I was 20 kg overweight, except of course I'd known that all along. I just needed someone or something to confront me with it.

So I started agressive (some strange diet I was recomended by a friend that was basically water, lemon juice, and pepper) and crashed and burned within two weeks. Then I took my time and over 7 months time dropped 15 kg. Then I found MFP for a little help to get the last 5 kg.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This journey is not an easy one but so worth it.
    This is all about "YOU", be the best you can be
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    was tired if being fat! Have gone from a size 20wp to a 4/6p!
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My husband would never say it but I think he isn't attracted to me anymore. He still loves me and he's still affectionate in a general way, but....you see where I*m going with this.

But for me the biggest thing was moving here to Finland and not being able to find anything that both fits and looks good. A bonus would be to be able to buy cute things at the big semiannual sales. But right now I can't even buy not cute things to wear. All my clothes from the US are wearing out.

Also, I found a great group of ladies here who invited me to their fitness group. I want to keep up with them, their fitness updates on Facebook are so inspiring.

Next time I go home, I want to be able to fit in the airplane seat without crowding into someone else's space.

But most of all, I want to be healthier and have more energy for the things I want to do!
  • Operationweddings
    Operationweddings Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My friend asked me to be her bridesmaid next year. I AM NOT being that bridesmaid that everyone feels sorry for or laughs at because she's the biggest girl there! No way. Also, it's my own wedding August 2016. I'm down 14lbs but down 11lbs since starting low carb/no sugar.in saying that, I have no intention of putting weight back on because the event is over.
  • Kchloee
    Kchloee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was starting to have health issues and went to the doctor, I told him it has to be my weight because other wise I feel great but I have never been that heavy in my life. He an I agreed that once I start to lose just a few lbs, I would see a difference. It was almost immediate once I started to eat better and exercise. I am not 20+ lbs lighter and healthier than I've ever been, even when I weighed less.
  • ErynV15
    ErynV15 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The initial straw was seeing myself in photos a few years ago from New Years. Somehow, I didn't see how big I had gotten. I ended up losing weight and feeling good, but after some major life changes, I had re-gained some of the weight that I had lost. Now the biggest motivator is how I feel and of course my health and confidence. I can't stand feeling crappy after a horribly unhealthy meal.... and I can't deny how good I feel when I eat right and exercise. It gives me more confidence, even if the numbers on the scale aren't moving as much.

I want to be healthy, and I want to feel good in sleeveless tops. Someday, I'd even like to wear a bikini and feel comfortable. I moved to Charleston, SC a year and a half ago and the weather is warm and we are surrounded by beaches. I want to enjoy and not stress about how I look or feel!
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Seeing pictures from recently and in the past really made me see how much weight I've gained because I never really took notice. Once I noticed, then I realized that the health problems that run in my family are because they're overweight and didn't eat right or exercise. I never had weight issues because I was an athlete. When sports stopped, the weight went up. I really noticed it on my honeymoon with one picture and since then I've vowed to lose. I've only lost 10 lbs. but I've lost inches and am finally getting the muscle tone back that I used to have. I also realized that in the 4 years I've known my husband that he finally told me that I did gain some weight since we met but he was ok with it and would support me no matter what. He really motivated me to start because I didn't want to end up down the same slippery slope as the rest of my family.
  • billsgirl1
    billsgirl1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad a couple of years ago to cancer. He was always active. He would walk 2 miles a day, or ride his bike. One of the last few days I spent with him in hospice he asked me a question. He said do you know what I miss most? I couldn't imagine, because he had been through so much. He said running, just being outside, and moving. I promised him since I was healthy I would do that for him. The 1st year or so I broke my promise to him. Now I want to make it up to him. There are so many people who want to run, and they can't. I'm doing it, because I can.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I got older.

I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, but I realized that over time I was just gaining a few every year.

Over time, my parents gained just a few every year, just decided to eat what they wanted. My father ended up having a succession of heart attacks/strokes, my mother had a massive stroke and then slowly declined into dementia.

The last 7 years of my life has been spent dealing with physicians, "memory care" center employees, hospice workers and funeral homes. I have lost my parents and our son has lost knowing his grandparents as anything other than inert figures.

We have a child and the last thing I want for him is to have to experience what I have...which is his parents (my DH is eating as I am) slowly dying.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad a couple of years ago to cancer. He was always active. He would walk 2 miles a day, or ride his bike. One of the last few days I spent with him in hospice he asked me a question. He said do you know what I miss most? I couldn't imagine, because he had been through so much. He said running, just being outside, and moving. I promised him since I was healthy I would do that for him. The 1st year or so I broke my promise to him. Now I want to make it up to him. There are so many people who want to run, and they can't. I'm doing it, because I can.

I just had enough.
    I've been the fat friend for too long.

No more! I am going to be the fit friend from now!
  • no1seinfeldfan
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, everyone. I told my family and my close friends about my goals.

My mum has agreed to lose weight with me and my friends, who are also pretty health-conscious, have set up a private Facebook support group for me.

Other times I attempted to lose weight, I told very few people about it, because then if I failed, it wouldn't really matter. (Has anyone else ever felt that way?) But that never worked for me. I would always lose 5-10kg and then regain it (along with a bit of extra weight) within a couple of months. But I really don't want that to happen this time! I feel as though things are different this time around because everyone knows what I am doing, and I have tonnes of support!
  • LFA50
    LFA50 Posts: 58
    Options
    I got older.

I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, but I realized that over time I was just gaining a few every year.

This.

Tired of tight fitting clothes, heartburn... just not feeling like 'me". I was kind of afraid to get on the scale because I didn't want to face it, but then I just did and while "bad", it wasn't as bad as I thought. So, I thought, let's nip this in the bud before it gets worse and reverse those numbers on the scale. :)
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If I get healthier and lose the extra weight and body fat percentage, my health insurance premium will go down by $100 a month! I just had my most recent appointment and my next one is in September so I'm trying to lose it all by then!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I was huge and my clothes were getting tighter. It was either buy a whole new wardrobe in a larger size or lose the weight for good.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Single for over a year I kinda want to start dating and having sex again at some point before I die. And, to be honest, I want to be able to bounce around that bedroom like a crazy lady rather than get all up in my head about how huge my thighs are.

Also, I read a lot of books that changed my perspective on life - The In Out Revolution, Somebody Should Have Told Us - not to do specifically with weight loss but about how we operate in the world. I think these have been the biggest catalysts for change. I'm finding now I don't want to make the choices I used to make any more and there is no more battling in it. It feels good.

But mainly, it was the sex :tongue:
  • CrimsonDiva93
    CrimsonDiva93 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your post is encouraging me to reach my own weight loss/fitness goals!:smile::smile:
  • chelseafisher5648
    chelseafisher5648 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It hit me on my bday I turned 28 which is nto old but my aunt called me and said well your almost thirty enjoy it when it last because it goes down hill from there. I laughed but then realized I am getting older and Im in my 20s I should feel comfortable wearing cute clothes and swimsuits an not covering up. I havnt wore shorts in 5 yrs since I had my son and I hit 172 which was almost the same I weighed 9 months pregnant. I couldn't fit in my clothes anymore and had began wearing what I calld comfy clothes- tshirts, pj pants, yoga pants, and lounging pants. I would cry everytime I had to try on clothes to go somewhere an didn't look good an was uncomfortable an didn't feel I compared to the other girls dressed up cute. My husband tried helping he would suggest healthy snacks when I went for ramem noodles at 8pm as a snack he said I was self defeating an he wanted me happy.I would often lash out at him. He never said it but I know he would find me more attractive thinner like when we met an I know he would love me regardless but I wanted him to go out in public n b proud to b with me, I wanted him to look at me and think wow she is sexy, I wanted to feel comfortable in my skin an confident. So I set a goal that I would get back to 130 by June the start of summer. I still have about 10 lbs to lose it may not b the start of june but it will b during. I feel a lot better but still have the occasional break down like this weekend when I tried on shorts for the first time and they were tight on my thighs an I seen cellulite. My thighs r my problem area an probally the last area for weight to come off but I will drop the 10 an try again