What made you decide to start losing weight?

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I was tired of watching my parents deal with their health problems (my dad was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes at 42, my mom just had knee replacement surgery five and a half weeks ago so she can walk again thanks to her weight/arthritis) and worrying they would happen to me.
  • StacyMarie78
    Options
    Love your story!!!! Congrats!!!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I had to go up a size in my clothing. I was 25 pounds above my usual weight and had to buy some new clothes. I didn't want to spend any more money on that and I was disgusted with myself. I googled around and found MFP, which sounded like a sensible approach, especially since it was free. ;-) I've been her for almost two years every day. It took me about a year to get to goal. Yeah, yeah... I joined a gym and actually went.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Everything hurt, all the time. Getting out of bed was a struggle. I couldn't keep up with my nephews or my friends. I got winded walking the half block from my office to the courthouse. I could barely bend my legs because my OA was so severe and I didn't do anything about it. I had to use a seatbelt extension to fly but I eventually got over that humiliation---I was always the fattest person in the room, but again, I was used to all of these things. I wanted to change and I wanted to live a better life but it was just downright painful to be me, both physically and emotionally.

In 2012, I lost 15 friends and colleagues. When friends or family would say that they were concerned about me, I felt like they were saying "you're next." I may as well have been because I wasn't living much of a life. I applied for a local version of the Biggest Loser and wasn't chosen. They had no clue what I was capable of. I did it first and foremost for me, but also for my nephews, and for my family and friends...and so that I could flip the proverbial bird at the group that didn't choose me, because I am doing it on my own and with the help of my mfpeeps.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I was pretty big for most of my life really. Always "lucky" enough to escape the metabolic fallout. I had perfect blood pressure and blood sugar, low cholesterol even at my high weight of 347 lbs. In 2012 I hurt my knee and it wasn't getting better. The surgeon I saw was a real jerk. He said it was "just arthritis" and wouldn't do any of the soft tissue studies that would have shown soft tissue damage like a meniscus tear or ligament damage. Anyway, he basically told me that if I could lose weight it would help, but I obviously wasn't going to, so I should just let him scope my knee and he'd try to get me five more years before he had to do a total knee replacement. I fired him, saw an acupuncturist and rehabbed my knee, started dieting and working out. Along the way I've gotten really active and healthy.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I love reading your stories...All of you are doing an awesome job.

I know this sounds petty but for me it was keeping up with my husband.

5 years ago he decided to loose weight - which he did fairly quickly being a man and having a lot of muscle. He won a weight loss challenge they had at the gym and then got into body building.

Now we have been married 22 years and we both love each other no matter how we look - however the general public is not so nice. I got tired of him having to defend me. A former friend of his (no longer one) said to him "Why are you with her? She is FAT"

He told the guy I was his baby, the mother of his children and love is blind.

That is just one example.

We went to a ball game once and a female attendant looked him up and down and gave me the dirtiest look - Gross, he could do better than that.

So I decided it was time for me to get serious. I love my husband fat or fit and he loves me the same....

now this might be TMI but our sex life has improved big time with the weight loss too. :blushing:
    We are both thinner and much more flexible.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love my mom and her sisters but there is no way I want to be in the same physical condition when I am older. Recognizing that I was beginning to go down that road was a wake up call...and none too soon.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I couldn't clasp my hands behind my back, and also looking at pictures. I couldn't believe how I had let myself go
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    11 months ago today, my husband and I were talking about all the traveling we want to do now that our kids are grown, gone and off the payroll. It hit me that there was no way I could enjoy any of it at my current weight of 295 lbs. If I couldn't even walk across the grocery store parking lot without being short of breath, how was I going to handle the rigors of travel? So, I made a change that day and the next and the next. 336 days and 106 lbs later, I'm not yet at my goal, but I can walk 10+ miles a day on a trip and handle it with ease. I will get to my goal (in 44 more lbs), but I've already gotten the big prize. I've gained the confidence and health to do whatever I choose without regards to my weight.

That is awesome. <3
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    For me it was giving birth to my 3rd and final baby last yr I deserve to look good and I want to be fit and healthy for my children, next year I will be 30 and im wanting to look beautiful in my new dress I will buy and im getting there my advice is to set small achievable goals you will do it you owe it to yourself feel free to add me id love to support you
  • denise31992
    denise31992 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I ended college with 18lbs extra. When I sat down at work, school, driving, etc. I had to unbutton my pants. I HAD TO UNBUTTON THEM.

That makes you feel so bad. I always left it for tomorrow to lose the pounds...that tomorrow finally began in Jan. 2014.

I see old pictures of myself...hopefully one day Ill look like that again.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    started gaining again....I use to be 360 lbs. I knew that I needed to stop that before it got crazy out of control. and this time I wanted to do it in a healthy way so that this will never be an issue again...just living
  • tetop
    tetop Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Well for me it was because I had lost 83 lbs and I felt great and all and then I stopped being as serious about working out and eating right, and now a year later I have gained 25 lbs back and i don't feel like myself I miss that "I can conquer anything feeling". I think it's because I was caught up in the I lost the weight now I just want to be in this moment and I just forgot I had to maintain it. So good luck to you all!
  • mushu0517
    mushu0517 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was tired of ppl asking me how far along I was. I was tired of not being able to tie my own shoe. SMH.

63654057.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SallyJones1985
    SallyJones1985 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend had an affair with a girl who is as skinny as a stick insect. totally destroyed my confidence and now i'm doing my damndest to lose all this weight in an attempt to stop it happening again
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend had an affair with a girl who is as skinny as a stick insect. totally destroyed my confidence and now i'm doing my damndest to lose all this weight in an attempt to stop it happening again

that makes me so angry! i hope you got rid of him!!!!!!:frown: :frown: :angry: :angry:
  • SallyJones1985
    SallyJones1985 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

that makes me so angry! i hope you got rid of him!!!!!!:frown: :frown: :angry: :angry:

No, unfortunately this love crap has a lot to answer for and we're trying to get through it.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I was tired of feeling tired. Now I get up early and run three miles then work an 8 hr day, get home cook and play with my kids, brush teeth read stories and still have energy left for the hubby:wink:
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I got fat
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When my blood pressure was measured at 167/90 although my lifelong BP has been lower than 120/80, I thought I would rather not have a stroke. Dying prematurely of heart failure would be OK but surviving a stroke with disabilities would be tough. Easier to lose weight than recover from a stroke, that's enough motivation.