Menopause messing with your weight loss!?

Options
screwmenopause
screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
Hi to the gals (sorry guys) that are in menopause and suddenly have found a tire around their waist, they have to eat half the amount they used to consume - just to maintain their weight, wine is now a bad (VERY bad) carb - may as well eat a tablespoon of sugar....argh! I have decide to heck with menopause! I am 54 and refuse to settle for "it's menopause, you're getting older, that's life". Not me mama! I need support - I know I can't do this myself. I am not a complainer, just looking to tap into other peoples "spark" and share some of my own. I want to be fab and 55! I want my "twilight years" to be spectacular! Are you in?

Replies

• dwhite1201
    dwhite1201 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're singing my song. I'm also 54 and have gained 12 pounds since January this year while continuing the eat, exercise and live the same way I've always lived. YIKES! I need help here. What's the secret to getting it off and keeping it off without starving.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and post menopausal and I am fighting back too. Now that my metabolism has kicked itself in high gear I am getting there. I am feeling good and confident. You can do this and there is a whole community of women on here willing to support you. Feel free to add me.
  • wishfulgal
    wishfulgal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in SMP. Have found lumps and bumps which I've never had before, even after a lifetime of being...um...plump and pudding-like. Suddenly, my favourite food...my VERY favourite food (bread) is a fat-making machine. I have aches 'n pains and...I confess...I am a FRUMP. I want to be a groomed, elegant 57 year old next year.
  • screwmenopause
    screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    it is comforting (and not fattening) to here everyones in the same boat ;) thanks gals! I plan on checking in several times a day.
    wishfulgal - love the photo!
    pinkypan - what 'kicked your metabolism into high gear'?
    dwhite - lets figure this out together!

ps - tech questions - is there a way to make this thread a priority in my setttings? and/or have replies sent to my email?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi to the gals (sorry guys) that are in menopause and suddenly have found a tire around their waist, they have to eat half the amount they used to consume - just to maintain their weight, wine is now a bad (VERY bad) carb - may as well eat a tablespoon of sugar....argh! I have decide to heck with menopause! I am 54 and refuse to settle for "it's menopause, you're getting older, that's life". Not me mama! I need support - I know I can't do this myself. I am not a complainer, just looking to tap into other peoples "spark" and share some of my own. I want to be fab and 55! I want my "twilight years" to be spectacular! Are you in?

One of the most important thing is you have to exercise every day, whether its just walking or doing a DVD. I find once I exercise every day, the weight shifts even if only slowly. I also watch what I eat very carefully, limit white flour, maybe a couple times a year, white rice now and again. As for carbs, that is my down fall, its is extremely hard for me to give up cards, so I just do the exercise.

I was lucky that I did not ensure any hot flashes, exercise really helped me that way. I walk between 5 and 10 miles every day, sleep like a log and feel really good. I also do not have a thyroid, hence my need to exercise every day to keep the weight at bay. I limit fry foods, only eat real butter, none of that "Can't believe its butter crap", drink 2% Organic Lactose Free Milk, no meat/chicken/seafood, no soy/tofu etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You're singing my song. I'm also 54 and have gained 12 pounds since January this year while continuing the eat, exercise and live the same way I've always lived. YIKES! I need help here. What's the secret to getting it off and keeping it off without starving.

For me, raising the intensity of workouts, doing both cardio and strength training, and lowering intake of quick digesting carbs and upping intake of fiber has been the secret.

ETA: I also drink wine almost daily. I haven't really found wine to be any more of a problem now than when I was younger. Beer is more of a problem now, I suppose because of the higher carbs. I drink less beer and more wine than when I was younger.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    it is comforting (and not fattening) to here everyones in the same boat ;) thanks gals! I plan on checking in several times a day.
    wishfulgal - love the photo!
    pinkypan - what 'kicked your metabolism into high gear'?
    dwhite - lets figure this out together!

ps - tech questions - is there a way to make this thread a priority in my setttings? and/or have replies sent to my email?

It took time and trial and error. For one I never ate breakfast and God forbid I exercise and eat well. I quit smoking, changed my diet and started walking. I live in chronic pain due to failed spinal fusion surgeries and spent my day on ice in a recliner. Standing or walking any amount of time was painful. I started going for a stroll daily and started eating a healthy breakfast within an an hour of getting up. Also 8 hours sleep and lots and lots of water. I am now out the door most days and getting a 4 mile walk in at sunrise if the weather permits. I also use Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos for cardio. I keep my laptop on the kitchen counter and walk in place. I have so much energy and my pain has improved immensely. I have not felt this well in years.
  • BeccyGee
    BeccyGee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am not a complainer, just looking to tap into other peoples "spark" and share some of my own. I want to be fab and 55! I want my "twilight years" to be spectacular! Are you in?

Hey there, I'm 46 and peri-menopausal, monthlys all over the shop, sweats come and go, I'm sure I'm more irritable than I used to be... etc. After eating bread for ever, last year my body decided to become intolerant to wheat so I'm learning new ways of eating. The weight's just slowly added and added over the years until I finally got to one of those moments of seeing a photo of myself and going 'STOP!! I cannot look like this anymore!' I've made it my profile pic to remind myself every day why I'm doing this.
    The reason I'm quoting you, is you asked about other people's 'spark' - well I just had to reply because my job is working for a magazine called The Spark which is all about helping people find ways to take positive action - for themselves and the planet (man!).
    So I'm in - happy to find and share some support and motivation with like-minded others. Perhaps you could make a separate group so those interested can keep in touch?
  • sms9497
    sms9497 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Add one more to the list. . . 10 lbs added in this "transition" year! I would love to have some friends in the same boat especially if they are willing to share their food diary. Good luck to all of you!
  • mrpmurphy
    mrpmurphy Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi there,

I'd be interested in this type of discussion group. I just turned 51 and since finishing menopause find that my usual trouble spots: butt, hips and thighs, have been joined by a thickening middle. I've been watching what I eat and drinking more water (yuck), but unless I exercise an hour or more a day the weight has been extremely slow to come off. I've lost 13 lbs, but have another 40- 50 to go. I seem to be most susceptible on weekends when people want to get together and drink. I'm trying the skinny cocktails line, but I really miss my white wine. Looking forward to your ideas.

Michelle
  • ToRideLevi
    ToRideLevi Posts: 5
    Options
    I am glad I read this. I lost 20 pounds very fast with MyFitnessPal right off the bat, but then got stuck at my previous old weight that I was trying to loose before. (I gained those 20 lbs I lost when I broke my ribs falling off my horse, before that I was struggling to loose 10 lbs, so I am back struggling with that old weight). I exercise pretty much every day (weights and cardio, not to mention farm chores) and track my calories daily. I eat very few carbs, only organic foods if possible, and am very active. But, at 59 I'm menopausal, and it's just awful what it does to our female bodies!!! When I read this post I remembered that I haven't been taking a supplement I was taking when I lost weight. It is a powerful hormonal balancer for women like us called Maca. I just wanted to share with everyone that some of the menopausal related lack of fat burning might be helped somewhat by a supplement that helps to balance our hormones. Maca stimulates the organs in our body that get sluggish with age that produce the hormones we are lacking. (Chaste Tree Berry, although, great in my thirties also as a hormonal balancer, was not strong enough when I was in menopause). I am going to take Maca again daily and hope I see improvements.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am not a complainer, just looking to tap into other peoples "spark" and share some of my own. I want to be fab and 55! I want my "twilight years" to be spectacular! Are you in?

Hey there, I'm 46 and peri-menopausal, monthlys all over the shop, sweats come and go, I'm sure I'm more irritable than I used to be... etc. After eating bread for ever, last year my body decided to become intolerant to wheat so I'm learning new ways of eating. The weight's just slowly added and added over the years until I finally got to one of those moments of seeing a photo of myself and going 'STOP!! I cannot look like this anymore!' I've made it my profile pic to remind myself every day why I'm doing this.
    The reason I'm quoting you, is you asked about other people's 'spark' - well I just had to reply because my job is working for a magazine called The Spark which is all about helping people find ways to take positive action - for themselves and the planet (man!).
    So I'm in - happy to find and share some support and motivation with like-minded others. Perhaps you could make a separate group so those interested can keep in touch?

I know you posted for menopausal women, but I am 45 and beginning perimenopause and would be interested in joining your group, if you form one :)
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me, it wasn't menopause messing with my weight loss....it was my habits. (I'm post menopausal and can count the days 'til i'm 50). I ate the same or more (processed, carb-rich diet) and moved less. I had been weight training since the early 90's, so it's not like I didn't know what to do. I just slacked off, and eventually didn't do anything at all.

I made the decision to take action, as I didn't like the way I looked and felt anymore. I no longer eat processed foods. High quality meats and poultry, pastured eggs, full fat cream (for coffee), full fat greek yogurt, regular butter and vegetables. Lots and lotsandlotsandlots of fresh local vegetables. And fruits. Organic as much as I can.

I also made the decision to get off my azz and get back to working out. I lift heavy 3x a week (squats, deads, bench press, barbell rows, etc) and I run/walk 3x a week. I've lost over 10 inches in the 6 week period.

Menopause HAS messed with my sleep, big time!! I'm running on anywhere from around 6 hours a night (waking up once). I've supplemented with magnesium (Natural Calm) and it is helping to improve the quality of my sleep. I'm dreaming of the day when I get the good ol' 8 hours again haha
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 51 and my moniker is "This girl is on fire" isn't just a tribute to Alicia Keyes. It has a double meaning for me - the obvious and the fact that I'm taking charge of this next chapter of my life with gusto. I was a little down when I turned fifty with silly self talk creeping into my brain such as "the days of feeling sexy and wearing stylish clothes are gone", "why fight nature". Then I looked around at all my very attractive friends as well as celebs and thought how incredibly great they all look. Yes, they are slim, attractive people with good habits but they also have a zest for live and big plans for retirement in 10-15 years (sailing around the world, hiking). They are doing what they are doing for the "now" as well as for a bright active future.

I have lost 22 lbs so far and I have to say it is hard work but not at all torture. Logging helps a lot but so does stregthen training. There is nothing that has motivated me more than getting rid of those "bat wings" I used to call arms. The weights are key to keeping the metabolism going and making the body, regardless of size, look youthful. The cardio still gives me the "de-stressing" factor and has it own joys. Yes, the waist getting smaller is happening at a snail's pace but on the plus side other parts (hips) are less stubborn than before. Best of all no Time of Month binges!

Here is to the next chapter - with its own challenges and joys!
  • BeccyGee
    BeccyGee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I read this post I remembered that I haven't been taking a supplement I was taking when I lost weight. It is a powerful hormonal balancer for women like us called Maca. I just wanted to share with everyone that some of the menopausal related lack of fat burning might be helped somewhat by a supplement that helps to balance our hormones. Maca stimulates the organs in our body that get sluggish with age that produce the hormones we are lacking. (Chaste Tree Berry, although, great in my thirties also as a hormonal balancer, was not strong enough when I was in menopause). I am going to take Maca again daily and hope I see improvements.

Interesting you mention maca - i've got some sitting in my cupboard and haven't got round to trying it - I got scared off because someone told me it was 'very powerful'. I guess that can be a good thing though...
  • littlejake11
    littlejake11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Okay, I wanna join this post.....i am 48 and menopausal have gained 20 lbs and 5 inches in my waist! i AM NOT HAPPY. i am walking again an starting to ride my bike. but i love food. i use to be able to just count the calories. now i'm trying to watch the carbs also. i will take any suggestions on foods. I am cutting out, will most of the time, cutting out bread, but i do love a good hamburger on the grill. You ladies keep up the good work and we will help each other through this.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    TBH not really. I'm 50 and have been in menopause for over 5 years. And I've never been healthier. Granted my eating/exercise habits have changed considerably (more time to cook and exercise) but I've also removed 75-ish lbs so it can be done.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm keepin an eye on this thread topic - I'm 50 and with my luck :grumble: will probably be able to have babies until I'm 60. Uh, yeah...NO THANKS! I'm hoping to be in menopause REAL soon, hahaha, but so far no luck. The only thing I'm getting is a tiny bit of night sweat - not the wringing out the sheets kind - just more like I'm too warm and it wakes me up so I uncover, just at TOM. I do notice that my tummy is a tiny bit pudgier under the navel than it used to be, but that could be just loose 'old lady skin' showing up after my weight loss (I've been in maintenance for a few months now.)
    *sigh*
    No one in my family has gone through menopause naturally (due to severe endometriosis, cysts, etc - luckily I am healthy that way) so I have no idea what the general age range for menopause in my family is. :frown:
  • heartsmilefarms
    Options
    Hi - I'm completely new to myfitnesspal and thank god I found this thread. 49 and suddenly not only can't lose weight, but literally everything I eat turns to sugar and added pounds. I'm getting a hormone check and blood work done next month to rule out any thyroid or diabetes related issues. I've got 30 pounds to lose and want to be back to my healthy weight before I turn 50 next March
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    56 here and 10 years of menopause thanks to surgery. I started on 6/14/13 at 295 and today I'm 189. Still another 44 lbs. to go, but not too bad for an 11 month effort. I did NO exercise for the first 6 months. Once I was at a weight where I felt comfortable in a gym, I added about 4 aerobic or pilates classes a week and walk my dog a couple miles every day. I haven't given up sugar or carbs or any specific food.

For me, menopause, age, gender were just convenient excuses. Once I decided to do something about my weight and began weighing and logging every bite and staying within my calorie goal 99% of the time, the weight came off. Barring a medical reason, a consistent calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. Maybe not as quickly or easily as in our 20s, but it does work.