Squats HELP!

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Too little time doing them to even assess progress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Too bad it took three pages for someone to come up with that.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't do squats anymore. Adding weight and lifting just adds size to my *kitten*. It's mostly muscle I'm sure but I don't appreciate the gain in size or firmness. Firm seems good till one sits down on your married partners lap and they suggest your bottom feels like a concrete block on them. It's one of the few features I like about my body despite the fact I'm plus sized. What I did find that worked is high rep, low weight exercises. I'll do Plies for example with just body weight or small dumbbells or wrist weights and they were a TON easier on my knees. There is a reason you rarely see a long time ballerina with a huge *kitten*. I try for 20 to 50 reps in areas I want to stay smaller. To do that many reps I have to select lower than normal weights I can handle. It does wonderful things though for a tight, toned, area without being rock hard from muscle.

Um yes- all professional ballarina's are stacked- they have quads and butts that are rock hard They don't launch themselves into the air with just 'toned' muscle. It requires actual muscle to do that- you know that rock hard kind.

The reason why you do not see them with big old ba-donkadonk's is because that body type is not popular with professionals and it's a little like putting a quarter horse on the track with throughbreds- it's a different game plan.

But trust- those women's bodies are rock hard- and all muscle- even if it isn't HUGE. And yes- they progressively load and train- there is no way doing millions of plie squats gets them explosive power to leap from the ground.

I'm a dancer AND a power lifter so I say these things with great confidence.

Science says- you aren't building a bigger muscled butt unless you are progressively loading and eating at a surplus and really working at it.

And lol at your SO complaining about a tight butt. just. lawlz.

Ballerinas would never want all that icky muscle. :noway:

Zelda Fitzgerald did a series of paintings celebrating the muscle and sweat of ballet. I would give anything for prints of her paintings, but they simply aren't available.

14828573_bb20aecd88_m.jpg
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Also, stop eating icecream, it does NOTHING good for you.

That's how I meet my protein macro :(

I met mine once with chocolate chip cookies. Fact.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been doing squats for about 14 days the squat challenge, i haven't seen any difference but i can do more each time so i must be doing something :P just did 125!
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Add more weight, keep your core tight and activate those glutes by squeezing them when you reach the top.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't do squats anymore. Adding weight and lifting just adds size to my *kitten*. It's mostly muscle I'm sure but I don't appreciate the gain in size or firmness. Firm seems good till one sits down on your married partners lap and they suggest your bottom feels like a concrete block on them. It's one of the few features I like about my body despite the fact I'm plus sized. What I did find that worked is high rep, low weight exercises. I'll do Plies for example with just body weight or small dumbbells or wrist weights and they were a TON easier on my knees. There is a reason you rarely see a long time ballerina with a huge *kitten*. I try for 20 to 50 reps in areas I want to stay smaller. To do that many reps I have to select lower than normal weights I can handle. It does wonderful things though for a tight, toned, area without being rock hard from muscle.

Um yes- all professional ballarina's are stacked- they have quads and butts that are rock hard They don't launch themselves into the air with just 'toned' muscle. It requires actual muscle to do that- you know that rock hard kind.

The reason why you do not see them with big old ba-donkadonk's is because that body type is not popular with professionals and it's a little like putting a quarter horse on the track with throughbreds- it's a different game plan.

But trust- those women's bodies are rock hard- and all muscle- even if it isn't HUGE. And yes- they progressively load and train- there is no way doing millions of plie squats gets them explosive power to leap from the ground.

I'm a dancer AND a power lifter so I say these things with great confidence.

Science says- you aren't building a bigger muscled butt unless you are progressively loading and eating at a surplus and really working at it.

And lol at your SO complaining about a tight butt. just. lawlz.

Ballerinas would never want all that icky muscle. :noway:

Zelda Fitzgerald did a series of paintings celebrating the muscle and sweat of ballet. I would give anything for prints of her paintings, but they simply aren't available.

14828573_bb20aecd88_m.jpg

Those are awesome. Love.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Squats won't make your legs smaller-- they'll just build muscle.

Sorry, another example that this isn't quite true. When I first started doing heavy squats and deadlifts, I did notice that my pants were tighter around the thighs, but I kept going, now those same pants are too big. Funny thing, my measurements haven't really changed that much (if at all).
  • isabellaverburg
    isabellaverburg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lol I like that! That's funny.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Sorry, another example that this isn't quite true. When I first started doing heavy squats and deadlifts, I did notice that my pants were tighter around the thighs, but I kept going, now those same pants are too big. Funny thing, my measurements haven't really changed that much (if at all).

That was most likely water retention in the muscles to aid in recovery and protect them from the micro tears that lifting causes.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

That was most likely water retention in the muscles to aid in recovery and protect them from the micro tears that lifting causes.

Truth, my dress pants are tighter today around my quads after lower body and total body T25 back to back (oh and 2 night's of double headers playing softball).... I know it's not gains, but my pants don't know that. :sad:
  • isabellaverburg
    isabellaverburg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well after so many naysayers I wanted to do some research and see if I was wrong about squats and ballerinas. Turns out I was half wrong, half right. Most top ballerinas do use squats to shape their *kitten* and these were the folks I was thinking about which is where I was wrong. But they do avoid heavy weightlifting which is where I was right. I don't consider grandma as a ballerina because she took a dance class at the YWCA. When asked most used bodyweights or at the most bands. Here is a link as proof. http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/545462/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-top-ballerina.html
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Silly little crazes like "the 30 day squat challenge" really don't do justice for squats:grumble:
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Anything over 3 reps is cardio.

wut?! news to me bro.. I like to get between 8-12 reps consistently before adding any weight.. I get gains.. I'd hardly say that qualifies as cardio?
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    If you are doing squats and getting a bigger bum, I'd say its your diet that needs improvement then because this should hardly be the case.. up your protein consumption.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are doing squats and getting a bigger bum, I'd say its your diet that needs improvement then because this should hardly be the case.. up your protein consumption.

I would suggest lowering cals to put you in a deficit if you don't want to bulk while lifting. What would increasing protein do in the OP's case?

The person saying more than 3 reps is cardio was joking, sarcasm much? But for increasing strength 1-5 reps is best, building muscle (along with a caloric surplus) would be the 8-12 rep range. 15+ reps would be muscular endurance, and more like cardio.
  • sjohnny
    Options

wut?! news to me bro.. I like to get between 8-12 reps consistently before adding any weight.. I get gains.. I'd hardly say that qualifies as cardio?

Why so much cardio, bro?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

wut?
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Why so much cardio, bro?

gotcha gotcha, a riot of a joke -_-
  • sjohnny
    Options

Why so much cardio, bro?

gotcha gotcha, a riot of a joke -_-

Does your sense of humor even lift, bro?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I do a variation of weighted squats (basic, ski, sumo, goblet) and deadlifts (basic, sumo, single leg) and all I've gotten from doing these exercises is a rounder, higher, firmer butt. Although it did take longer than a week and a half.

Seriously longer than that! And all those weighted exercises are the bomb. hit those heavy weights (not 5 or 8lb dumbbells). 15's 20's 30's for squatting if you are going to use only one.

Barbell Squats are the best!!!