Tips to get over a heartache

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    sex. releases endorphin's in the brain that act as pain killers
    edit; damn i need to read the full post first lol
    get a hobby, find something to occupy your time (sex will work for that too!)
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Tips to get over a heartache. And tips to not check on them on fb etc

The best advice I can think of came from Nikki Six from Motley Crue:

The best revenge is living well and looking good!

Go get a pedicure!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Time, time and time.

Sorry to tell you, but that's it. You could go temporarily on antidepressants, as well. (I'm not saying that as a joke. It was offered to me by a psychologist when I was going through a tough breakup and I know a few people who took them.)

^^True
    You will be okay :flowerforyou:
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your breakup :flowerforyou: They just palin suck. I suggest, that as hard as it might be, remove him from your FB, and any of your contact lists. If you are seeing him popping up on your news feed all the time, it's hard to move on. Also, if you don't have his number in your phone, there won't be any texting slip-ups. Get out and have fun with your friends, workout, shop, do what whatever makes you happy. Think of this as time to work on making yourself happy! And just remember, this breakup happened, because there is someone better out there for you :heart: *Hugs*
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Keep busy! Put it extra time at the gym, go shop, buy yourself a few things, go out with your friends. Focuc hard on school/work. But remember its okay to take all the time you need. Don't listen to anyone who says "just get over him"; you can't tell your heart what your head already knows...only time can do that. It's hard now, but it will get better with each passing day.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    OP... Thank you for posting this question!!!! :flowerforyou:

In for the responses...
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you ever COMPLETELY get over it... but time makes vast improvements... Keep reminding yourself that you can't get today back, once it's gone, so you may as well try for the best... Good luck, and hugs to you!
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Time heals all wounds.

Until the wound is healed... just stay positive...life is good...learn to love yourself...focus on positive things...find hobbies...hit the gym... write in a personal journal, etc... worst thing to do is throw a million pity parties...life is going to keep going on all around you no matter what you choose to do... it's better to hop on and go along for the ride than to just sit there and let it pass you by. It's normal to have negative thoughts...just try to be more aware when they pop in your head so you can remove them in a healthy way. But time is the only real long term solution.
  • vasairiah
    vasairiah Posts: 5,187 Member
    Options
    Time heals all wounds.

Until the wound is healed... just stay positive...life is good...learn to love yourself...focus on positive things...find hobbies...hit the gym... write in a personal journal, etc... worst thing to do is throw a million pity parties...life is going to keep going on all around you no matter what you choose to do... it's better to hop on and go along for the ride than to just sit there and let it pass you by. It's normal to have negative thoughts...just try to be more aware when they pop in your head so you can remove them in a healthy way. But time is the only real long term solution.

^^this...and remove them from all social media to avoid temptation.
    Other suggestions....Have a good cry to get it out, and then get a pedicure. Get a new focus...YOU. Be the best YOU, you can be.. *hugs* :flowerforyou:
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Get out and about to stop yourself dwelling. Eat well and get your rest. Listen to music all the time
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Relationships are funny.
    you can have a 99.9% failure rate but, that ONE sucessful one makes it all worth it.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Get a sharpie. Go to a lake or river area. Grab up some dry river rocks nearby. Write things on the rocks that you want to release...could be general like fear, anger, depression, sadness, or you could be super specific and actually write the name of your ex. Anyway when you feel like you've written enough, pick one up, read it and feel it for a moment, then throw it out in the water. It is a symbolic way of letting it all go and it truly is cathartic. When you are done with all of your negative feelings you can also repeat the exercise with positive, hopeful, intentions, goals, wishes, etc and throw those out too if you'd like.

Remember you aren't alone no matter how lonely the hurt feels. Everyone's experience is different but generally we've all experienced that feeling at one time or another. Stay strong!
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    this is a genuine question for those wondering... im all over the place atm

Stay away from Facebook. Never go back to his/her pages on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram. That will only lead to emotional let down.

Get out and do something you enjoy. Find a book, drive out to a park or winery and read.

Been there, still doing that.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Get a sharpie. Go to a lake or river area. Grab up some dry river rocks nearby. Write things on the rocks that you want to release...could be general like fear, anger, depression, sadness, or you could be super specific and actually write the name of your ex. Anyway when you feel like you've written enough, pick one up, read it and feel it for a moment, then throw it out in the water. It is a symbolic way of letting it all go and it truly is cathartic. When you are done with all of your negative feelings you can also repeat the exercise with positive, hopeful, intentions, goals, wishes, etc and throw those out too if you'd like.

Remember you aren't alone no matter how lonely the hurt feels. Everyone's experience is different but generally we've all experienced that feeling at one time or another. Stay strong!

I like this idea. :)
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Time

And possibly getting under someone else.

^^ agreed
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Block them on facebook. Delete their number, all of the photos... Time heals.
  • KatieKat1979
    KatieKat1979 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ive been going the same thing for the last month and a half. And I realized something. He wasn't good enough for me. He excused himself from my life. He held me back.

Remember all the times that were red flags. Remember how you felt at that second you realized it was over. And then realize this. God makes no mistakes. There is a reason why this happened. There is a reason why you deserve to be happy. There is a chance to make your life what you want it to be. Make yourself happy.

I'm not always the best at taking my own advice, but trust me - I'm going to look damn good when the day comes that our paths may cross and he will realize that HE missed out on a good and loving relationship.

**Hugs to you**
  • One_Last_Time
    One_Last_Time Posts: 125
    Options
    Finding a hobby. Something to take your mind off it for a while. IDK never had this problem. Sounds legit.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your heartache. What has helped me in the past is:

- Write down the reasons why the relationship ended. Re-read this whenever you're feeling weak and want to ring them, this has always helped to stop me!
    - Writing down all the things you can do now that you're single that you couldn't do in a couple. Plan to do one of these things this week, you can start right away.
    - Write down a reviewed set of life goals and small steps you can take to achieve them. Get started on this right away.
    - Plan some things to do with your friends and family. If you're heartbroken be kind to yourself, don't push yourself to go on big nights out or anything, just small things that will life your mood. Give someone a ring you've lost touch with.
    - Treat yourself extra kindly. You are fragile at the moment and need to heal. Eat healthily but allow yourself some treats too, just don't overdo it. Get lots of rest and exercise.

Remember that it does get better. I have been totally and utterly devastated after breakups in the past but now couldn't care less about these people. As humans we are very resilient creatures. Good luck and hope you feel better soon. :)

I like all of the above, and think it is very helpful!!

Even though it sounds silly, I always loved to do a bit of reinvention after a breakup. New hairstyle or color, change up the music I listened to (no more of "our song"), and perhaps the most helpful was getting new bedding & rearranging my furniture. For me that really helped reset my mind & routine to a new beginning.

Best of luck to you!!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Get a sharpie. Go to a lake or river area. Grab up some dry river rocks nearby. Write things on the rocks that you want to release...then throw it out in the water.

^^this is excellent, but i prefer fire. fire is great for catharsis. :devil: also, thowing paint-filled waterballoons at the side of a shed. i can't recommend that one enough. :smokin: