vent: people giving me a hard time about being a vegetarian

Options
I am annoyed at people giving me a hard time for being a vegetarian. They ask me why I am a vegetarian and I explain that I don't like the idea of killing animals. I acknowledge that animals in the wild do kill each other as well, but that I'd rather not have anything to do with it.

I was talking to this guy and he's like yeah well if you don't want to kill things then why do you think it's okay to kill plants? Well of course plants don't feel pain when you kill them! They're not alive in the same way that animals are, with brains and feelings etc! And if you have such a big problem with killing plants, then why are YOU eating plants? Obviously just trying to taunt me.

I could sit here telling people you're so bad and awful for eating animals, but I don't! So why are people giving ME a hard time for choosing to do something that is kind of nice?

People usually mock me like they say oh I feel sorry for you, you're missing out on so much, as if my personal values are not as important as eating some meat! But honestly it hurts when it's a friend who is mocking and making fun of you!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    People can be stupid. And unfortunately many people seem to think that if you have a different set of beliefs then its their job to convert you. Perhaps just say its a personal choice, and you see no reason to discuss it further. If they keep at it - walk away.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Obviously just trying to taunt me.

And you're letting him.

Don't engage and he'll eventually leave you alone. If you continue to battle back, you're just fueling the fire. Kinda like elementary school stuff.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Improve your knowledge and confidence by checking out https://www.youtube.com/user/PrimitiveNutrition This will help make you immune to their silliness... Best of luck.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How can you tell if someone is vegan/vegetarian?

Don't worry - they'll tell you

Same goes for marathon runners, fighter pilots, etc
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    just tell him to fack orf. its your own eating preferences
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    *And for the record, I was vegetarian for 10 years, 3 of those vegan. The amount of BS I got was ridiculous and just goes with the territory.

If it's a trait/label that defines you, then be ready to deal with other people riding you over it.
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hang in there :) People giving you a hard time for being vegetarian do it for a lot of reasons, but none of them have any bearing on *your* decision. That is, they're not really arguing against your reasons, they're arguing against a pre-conceived notion, or their own guilt, or out of a misguided (and unfortunately grossly prevalent) notion that they are somehow playing Devil's Advocate. Anyone who 'feels sorry for you' for what you're missing out on has probably never had really *good* vegetarian food.

There are also a LOT of different reasons people choose veg. I do it for health reasons - it's easier to control salt intake on a veg diet. There's also a lot of evidence (Esselstyn and Campbell are the most prominent doctors who've done studies) that reducing animal product intake reduces risks of certain diseases.

The reason that seems to get the least arguments, however, is that I do it because I feel physically better when I do it. Mostly because while people always seem to feel they are justified in 'debating' animal rights with another person, they can't really argue with subjective experience.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    They probably had an experience with a preachy vegetarian once. Still doesn't make it right.

Tell them that when they are you, they can eat what they want, and in the mean time to eff off.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they aren't just jealous of your Dolce blouse? :laugh:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    People are going to poke you no matter what. I went meatless for a week, and try to do meatless meals regularly, and I caught all grades of crap from the guys at work, because they are the "great hunters* and can't imagine a single meal without meat.

When I started watching what I ate, I caught all grades of crap from the girls at work. You know, I'll never stick to it, how can I possible live without eating thus n'such, blah blah blah.

When I dropped the weight, I started hearing how I'd gotten too skinny (?WTF?) and surely I had an eating disorder.

When I started lifting weights, that opened a whole other door for people to jab at me.

I didn't let this bother me. I basically just rolled my eyes and reminded myself that opinions are like @$$holes; everyone's got one, and went on about my day.

TL:DR? Water off a duck's back.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You could always try telling them it's none of their business instead of offering an explanation.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It has been scientifically proven that the nervous systems in plants are more sensitive and more highly developed than lesser animals.

This does suggest that Plants feel pain.

http://ds9.botanik.uni-bonn.de/zellbio/AG-Baluska-Volkmann/plantneuro/neuroview.php

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/08/980806090010.htm

hqdefault.jpg

Meanwhile, worms and crawfish don't feel pain. Sounds like you need to rethink your pain free food plan, lol.
    http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/technology/worms-and-crayfish-feel-no-pain-experts-1.233383#.U3YJmN4o4mw
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Meh...people give me grief because I workout a lot...people give me grief because I prefer to eat a breakfast of eggs and some fruit or something rather than a doughnut or cinnamon bun. People give me grief because I brown bag it pretty much every day with a highly nutritious lunch rather than joining them on the daily McDonalds run.

Who cares...I rock, they don't. They can barely walk around the block without getting winded...I ride at least 15 miles per day on my bike. They can barely lift their computer bags...I can dead lift 300 Lbs.

**** people...they're stupid. That said, don't go around flaunting your diet or whatever...I try to avoid conversations about nutrition and fitness with the general population unless they ask.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    People who eat meat hate to hear about vegetarians/vegans. They come across as preachy and judgy. Find something else to talk about and quietly eat your veggies.

You know, that dog looks pretty tender...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Question: How do people know you're a vegetarian? My guess is that you're bringing this down on yourself.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I dont want to argue with anyone here but this video shows that plants can think and react to their environment.

http://youtu.be/u2GWd2j3qJ8
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How can you tell if someone is vegan/vegetarian?

Don't worry - they'll tell you

Same goes for marathon runners, fighter pilots, etc

It never ceases to amaze me how people will highlight their membership in a certain subset of society then get all butthurt when people then comment on what they brought up about themselves. If you don't want to run the risk of people giving you a hard time about being a runner, vegetarian, conservative, liberal, atheist, Christian, Muslim, Jew, vegan, sports lover, sports hater, Firefly fan, or anything else ... DON'T BRING IT UP.

Fighter and helicopter pilots aren't real people so they deserve all the crap they get.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Meh...people give me grief because I workout a lot...people give me grief because I prefer to eat a breakfast of eggs and some fruit or something rather than a doughnut or cinnamon bun. People give me grief because I brown bag it pretty much every day with a highly nutritious lunch rather than joining them on the daily McDonalds run.

Who cares...I rock, they don't. They can barely walk around the block without getting winded...I ride at least 15 miles per day on my bike. They can barely lift their computer bags...I can dead lift 300 Lbs.

**** people...they're stupid. That said, don't go around flaunting your diet or whatever...I try to avoid conversations about nutrition and fitness with the general population unless they ask.

Oh, I just really L♥VE this! +1!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    People who eat meat hate to hear about vegetarians/vegans. They come across as preachy and judgy. Find something else to talk about and quietly eat your veggies.

You know, that dog looks pretty tender...

Keep your dog eating ways to yourself.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    I never advertised my meatless week, but our work situation is set up in a way that people WILL notice what you are or aren't eating. All it takes is one person to make a comment and suddenly it is a big deal, or the person that says, "here, try the veal," and you reply that you don't eat meat...I don't consider that advertising. Walking into work and announcing, "Hey y'all! Guess what? I'm a vegetarian now, so don't offer me any kind of meat," is advertising, LOL...:laugh: