older people

Options

Replies

• nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was in fantastic shape when I turned 40. I wished I had paid more attention to my diet, etc. as the pounds just slowly but surely crept on over the next 9 years. I'll be 50 next month and would love to be in that same shape as I was when I turned 40 ... I'm trying very hard and while I won't be what I was when I turned 40, at least I'll be better than I was last Monday when I decided to begin this journey. And, after this, I will pay attention to my body more. MFP has really opened my eyes to the amount of calories in some foods and how much I was overeating without realizing it. I have a pretty healthy diet, but wasn't paying close enough attention. Good luck !
    I hear ya'! Same situation; great shape at 40 & up to age 45. Then at age 45 it started to pile on, slowly but surely. I am now 51 & I am determined to get back in shape. As you said, I might not get exactly back to that condition, but if I can get w/in 10lbs. of that, I will be happy. I started to diet (again) on March 10, 2014 & as of today, I have lost 10lbs. It can be done! Stay positive & don't give up.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 years young! You can add me as a friend. Thanks.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to lose weight. Friend of mine has a Dad who didn't start working out / lifting until his 40's. He's now retired and is in his late 50's and he looks great. When I first met him I assumed he was in his early 40's.

Here's my advice-
    1. Take it slow, pick a 1lb per week goal on this site. Easy to obtain and you will love the results. When your ready to adjust your goal you can, just don't go over 2 lbs per week as that can cause health issues. At 2 lbs per week you can lose 100lb in about a year. Nice huh?

2. You can eat anything and everything you want. Measure liquids in measuring cups and everything else using a scale. Get one for work and home. You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit, that's all. Processed foods, whole foods, candy, twinkies, brocolli it doesn't matter, you'll lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume.

3. Start a light exercise routine and don't feel like you need to gun it. The more calories you burn the more flexible you can be with eating and with treats. Consider easing your way into weight lifting to help preserve muscle and improve strength.

4. Ask for advice here on these boards, lots of good people who will not steer you wrong.
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    42 here and I can tell that just in the past two years my body has really slowed down and just can't do the same things that it used to be able to do. That's why I am back. I don't want to be like this anymore. So motivated! I could use a few motivated friends too.
  • October2151
    Options
    I'm 62. Decided if not now, when?? It's not easy but I'm doing it!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm 62. Decided if not now, when?? It's not easy but I'm doing it!

You can do it+++++
  • jmkaye321
    jmkaye321 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am 63 and am trying too. It's not easy at any age; but it can be done. We all need support as it is a key to succeding and having people going through the process who can understand and help is so important.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and totally turned it around in my 40's (I started the journy at 42). I lost 40 lbs, got myself in shape and have managed to keep it off. I'm in way better shape and health at 47 than I was at 37. You can do it!
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 49 and I'm doing great here...it can be done. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Oh if only I could be a young kid of 45 again :wink:

I'm 55, maintaining a healthy weight, working out 4 to 6 times a week, loving life and living to fullest (as long as I'm in bed by 10;)

Any of you 'old' people can feel free to friend me!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    48. it can be done at our *gulp* "age".
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 and I'm the strongest I've ever been :)
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'll be 58 in one month. Feel free to add me. You can get back in shape any time you think you're ready. And stop calling me old!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    49... AND feeling younger everyday... I started (without MFP) 20 months ago with a gym membership... my first day... I managed 10 minutes on an elliptical before I had to get off... the anxiety... and sweat.. I thought I was going to be "that guy" the one they call an ambulance for... flash forward... I am now comfortable doing 45 minute stints of cardio preferring the bike and elliptical... I take in the occasional fitness class... BUT my "thing" at the moment is 5x5... my stretch goal is to squat 1.5 times my weight... and bench the same... with any luck... trading fat for muscle along the way... always looking for active friends... feel free to add me
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and possibly fitter now than I was in my 20s when I worked for a brewery (free booze) smoked 20 a day and had no exercise whatsoever. I might be a couple of stone heavier now but at least I can run!!
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This past October, when I got out of breath tying my shoelaces, I decided it was time to take care of ME. I turned 60 in January and reached my goal in April..... So YES, it can be done. Feel free to add me. Good luck to you.
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    I still think of myself as pretty young, so I can't help you out there.

I hope you oldsters work this out though.

I'm off for beers with my Senior Division Competitive Roller Derby Team.

That's how I roll...
  • midnightjogger
    midnightjogger Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 this year. And I have been pretty successful so far using MFP. It's definitely harder than when I was in my 20's and 30's. This is why I don't stick to any certain routine any length of time. I have to mix up my exercise routine, so the body doesn't get so use to it.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I still think of myself as pretty young, so I can't help you out there.

I hope you oldsters work this out though.

I'm off for beers with my Senior Division Competitive Roller Derby Team.

That's how I roll...

You definitely roll on awesome, SG! Have fun tonight.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I'm 50, still in my prime! Don't care for that O word. LOL!!