Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'd look for another job. FAST.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I would be wary but not scared. No one really knows what other people have going on. Trust but verify, etc.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it.
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    Quit talking about me! ;)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'd make sure I knew where a weapon of any kind was at all times. Otherwise, get to know him, you may find that you are two peas in a pod. :D
  • MrsJennaKwasniewski
    MrsJennaKwasniewski Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't see how my opinion of th person could change in anyway by knowing this information. If I liked the person before I knew that then I will like them after and if I didn't like the person before I knew that then I wouldn't like them after just the same. Gossip and/or history of a person doesn't shape my opinion of a person. It is how they treat me and interact with others that I can witness myself that I base my opinions on.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I work in a jail.

I would have no problem with working with a convicted felon/murderer.
    The fact that he/she had been released because of a fu*k up, would be the thing that would make me the most uneasy, for obvious reasons.

Personally, I would probably never be alone with this person at any time.
    But I wouldn't avoid them or avoid talking to them.

My advice is to be alert when this person is around and if it makes you feel better to carry a firearm (and your workplace allows it) then carry one, as long as you have been educated on safely using and carrying one.

Not every convicted felon/murderer walks around with a sign around their neck announcing it. You'd be surprised how many people you interact with on a daily basis who have violent tendencies or who've been convicted of a violent crime.

I would want to know the details of the situation before I was afraid. Was it a crime of passion or premeditated etc?
    Accidents happen.
    Also, if he/she was convicted, then your workplace is aware of the crime and hired them anyway.

Just my opinion on the matter.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    that your co-worker was a convicted felon/murder and was released only because the courts LOST all of the records pertaining to the case. They have served half of the time they were sentenced to and still have anger issues. Would you be nervous around them? Would you be armed (lawfully) around them?

your thoughts- GO

Has this personally happened to you or a friend? Or this this a HYPERthetical?

current work situation. just found out a few weeks ago.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    that your co-worker was a convicted felon/murder and was released only because the courts LOST all of the records pertaining to the case. They have served half of the time they were sentenced to and still have anger issues. Would you be nervous around them? Would you be armed (lawfully) around them?

your thoughts- GO

Honestly, I'd probably hire them to be my bodyguard for PR events.
  • dbmata
    Options
    PS - it's always interesting to see how few people believe in the legal concept of innocent until proven guilty.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I work in a jail.

I would have no problem with working with a convicted felon/murderer.
    The fact that he/she had been released because of a fu*k up, would be the thing that would make me the most uneasy, for obvious reasons.

Personally, I would probably never be alone with this person at any time.
    But I wouldn't avoid them or avoid talking to them.

My advice is to be alert when this person is around and if it makes you feel better to carry a firearm (and your workplace allows it) then carry one, as long as you have been educated on safely using and carrying one.

Not every convicted felon/murderer walks around with a sign around their neck announcing it. You'd be surprised how many people you interact with on a daily basis who have violent tendencies or who've been convicted of a violent crime.

I would want to know the details of the situation before I was afraid. Was it a crime of passion or premeditated etc?
    Accidents happen.
    Also, if he/she was convicted, then your workplace is aware of the crime and hired them anyway.

Just my opinion on the matter.

crime of passion and pre meditated (killed 2 ppl). its a family run business so he is related to the owners... he is older...(mid 60's) but yeah i do keep a watchful eye on him ...ALWAYS. he is a nice enough guy around me but it is def the elephant in the room that no one really talks about.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well, I would not be concerned unless this person acts volatile at work, and then I would report their behavior to HR, being careful to leave out any particular biases I have formed of their past.

Is this person doing anything to address existing anger issues? Everyone that really wants a second chance deserves one, but I would highly recommend using caution and keeping your eyes open when around them.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    As long as he's not carrying a golf club I wouldn't be worried. If he had a golf club I'd carry a pocket knife and bring a dog to work.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options

your thoughts- GO

23 years working in the Court/Criminal Justice System, I've never heard of this happening, EVER. I can't see how it could happen.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This is really the number one reason why I prefer working at home.

Lol! When I work out of the home, I work at the law courts! Haha.
  • dbmata
    Options
    crime of passion and pre meditated (killed 2 ppl). its a family run business so he is related to the owners... he is older...(mid 60's) but yeah i do keep a watchful eye on him ...ALWAYS. he is a nice enough guy around me but it is def the elephant in the room that no one really talks about.

Well boss, sounds like the smart thing to be might be to quit, because with him being family... think about it. Any argument there, the writing is already on the wall.

Plenty of good jobs out there.
  • dbmata
    Options
    This is really the number one reason why I prefer working at home.

Lol! When I work out of the home, I work at the law courts! Haha.

Heh, only time I'm not armed while working is when I have to go to the post office or the court.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options

your thoughts- GO

23 years working in the Court/Criminal Justice System, I've never heard of this happening, EVER. I can't see how it could happen.

In the States in the past few years, it's happened a few times where convictions have been overturned because the record has been lost. It's as simple as a court clerk forgetting to turn on a tape recorder, which is kinda terrifying...
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    YES !!! At least you KNOW. I have known two murderers in my life, one was an acquaintance, one I worked with, and they completely blindsided us with their weekend escapades once it hit the news, never saw it coming. It's just like when you see it in the news reports when the interviewees say they never suspected a thing. They were the most shy, kind, amiable people leading a double life.
    So it's nice to actually know who you're dealing with !
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There are tons of judicial system fails walking around every day... Be afraid, be very afraid... :wink: :tongue: