What are your Gym Hacks?

Options
I’m a pretty basic meat-n-potatoes kind of gym goer. Barbells, dumbbells, body-weight, and some cables are my primary tools of choice, but I’ve found some hacks over the years that assist in doing my workouts by either providing greater comfort or productivity.

Here’s my list below.
01. On the way to the gym, I chew minted or peppermint sugar free gum. It helps wake me up especially for those 6am weekend workouts.

02. I found that by just making my bed and starting a little housework helps shake off the morning fugue before I leave. Also, if I need extra help in waking up, I splash some cold then warm then cold water on my face.

03. For water I’ll add lemon, lime, or an orange slice for flavoring. To save time I’ll just add one cap of pre-made concentrate.

04. I’ll put water in my freezer for an hour+ before I leave to work out. Ice forms which keeps it chilled on the commute (mine is 30 minutes from the office) to the gym and throughout the duration of my workout.

05. If possible, I change before I go to the gym. Saves time and hassle in the locker room for me.

06. I always keep one complete extra set of gym clothes, wrapped in a plastic bag, in my gym bag, in case I forget to pack something.

07. Any parent knows how handy baby wipes are. I keep a package in my gym bag at all times. You can clean yourself in a pinch — if you need too - without a shower. Not optimal I know, but something.

08. Not being tethered to my iPhone with a Bluetooth headphone has been a great productivity booster in the gym as I keep very strict time between sets. Having a wireless headphone also allows better access to my smartphone to record sets on a dedicated app.

09. No calf-raise machine? I use an aerobic stepper box with a Smith Machine which allows for a greater range of movement and deeper stretch.

10. In a non-creeper way, I study the forms of other people who work out. Helps me identity what I am doing right, wrong, or what I could be doing different.

11. They may be old-school and a little nerdy, but I can’t tell you how awesome sweat wristbands are instead of carrying a towel around to soak-up sweat. Plus, they make you feel like a medieval knight wearing greaves or something.

12. I found a that a good baseball cap is very useful for maintaining form and contraction for some types of ab movements, like swiss ball crunches. Instead of yanking on the back of my neck which can create discomfort, I lightly pinch the bill of the cap as I do the exercise. Also, those baseball caps which are all fabric, trap forehead sweat really well and you can use your cap
as fan to help cool you down too. A 3-for-1.

13. I always pull the soles out of my running shoes after a workout which allows them to dry. Once or twice a week I spray an anti-fungal. Athlete’s Foot sucks.

What are those little things that you do - or have found - that aid you in your training routine?

Replies

• collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is a great list.

1. I workout in the morning. It GETS DONE this way!

2. I agree with putting on your gym clothes before actually going to the gym. If you are sketchy on going, just put on your gym clothes...you will want to go!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't have any.

I just go. and do my work.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just go, do my thing, and gtfo.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Then, obviously, this post isn't meant for the both you. Thanks though.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My gym hacks: set the alarm for 5:00AM; get up; drink coffee on way to gym; make iron my b1tch.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hack squat.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    in the AM ....if I am groggy ...I will do my cardio first....this gets the blood going ......

I like to do all push exercise bench shoulder squts on smith machine....not many people use it so it is always open
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    in the AM ....if I am groggy ...I will do my cardio first....this gets the blood going ......

I like to do all push exercise bench shoulder squts on smith machine....not many people use it so it is always open

Depending on the condition of my knees, I'll get a mile in before I lift which helps to warm me up and raise my core body temp.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    roll the closest plate on the bar onto a small micro plate so you don't have to struggle getting the other plates on/off when deadlifting.

1d29f226ee057f8fc5893a1c7e4756cf.jpg
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My workouts go much better if I have something to eat first, preferably my big carb of the day. If I go empty I bonk, hard.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    b4g0ycpkxi830o3b0ambxperi.500x287x36.gif
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I bring my gym clothes to work with me so I can change there and not stop home.
    I can totally relate to the gum thing...or brushing your teeth before going
    Protein shake or a snack about 2 hours before
    Knowing my husband is cooking dinner so that is off my mind!
    Not bringing my phone inside with me

Great post...wish I could think of more!
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    roll the closest plate on the bar onto a small micro plate so you don't have to struggle getting the other plates on/off when deadlifting.
    Nice. Those are also great if the floor is pitched. Stop a bar from rolling.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    OP, this is a great list!

I prefer a work out towel to the sweat bands. I sweat a lot and wrist bands wouldn't cut it.

I workout early on the weekends and late at night on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I eat a meal about an hour to an hour and a half before I work out. I run out of gas if I don't have enough food in my stomach but it can't be too much or I'll be sluggish. I recently started eating Kind bars on the way to the gym if I feel I'm getting a little too hungry. I also drink RSP Regen on the way to the gym.

I always warm up on the stationary bike before I start. The Star Trac bikes have a 7 minute warmup button that I love. If that brand's not available, I'll go with 10 minutes on any cardio machine that's handy. I do just enough for a light sweat.

I always record my workouts in a log to plan and track my progress.

I've done the calf raises on the smith machine, but with a wooden platform instead of a cardio step. I would worry about my feet slipping with a cardio step and I use at least 3 45s on each side.

Another good calf option is one legged dumbbell calf raises.

I work the front of my calves on the lying leg curl. I sit on the leg curl and hook my feet under the ankle pad and raise the toes up. This helps a lot if you ever visit a place that has lots of hills like San Francisco.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I put my smartphone in my bra.

It gets all sweaty when I squat or deadlift but I dont think it minds.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    welcome to the internet- where things don't always go the way you had planned.
    Yep, trolls are seemingly in never short supply. But, you know, whatever works for you I guess.

Jeez louise, how many more seconds till you start complaining about Internet bullies?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    When I'm done with my workout, I put extra weight on the bar and leave it. This leads people to believe that I'm stronger than I really am. This is doubly effective considering I workout alone, at home. I come down to the gym the next day and I'm all "WHOA, I am strong as hell!"
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    welcome to the internet- where things don't always go the way you had planned.
    Yep, trolls are seemingly in never short supply. But, you know, whatever works for you I guess.

Jeez louise, how many more seconds till you start complaining about Internet bullies?
    that's broscience.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i work out in the morning too.
    Up, coffee, make lunch, out the door.

I get dressed in my workout gear, then put my office clothes on over top, this way I don't carry extra clothes all day.
    OR
    I get to the gym and home again before getting dressed in office clothes, which means I don't even have to bring my gym bag to the office.

If the sauna isn't busy, I dry off in there. Saves approx 2 mins of drying time. Need to be careful not to re-break a sweat though!

Use the hair dryer to dry my flip flops and feet after towel drying them. Because athlete's foot sucks.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Also, be careful with your #10. In my experience, 90% of gym-goers have the worst form I have ever seen.