What are your Gym Hacks?

Options

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I put my smartphone in my bra.

It gets all sweaty when I squat or deadlift but I dont think it minds.

In for boob sweat phone! I do the same thing :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    in the AM ....if I am groggy ...I will do my cardio first....this gets the blood going ......

I like to do all push exercise bench shoulder squts on smith machine....not many people use it so it is always open

There's a reason no one is ever using the Smith machine...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    welcome to the internet- where things don't always go the way you had planned.
    Yep, trolls are seemingly in never short supply. But, you know, whatever works for you I guess.

Jeez louise, how many more seconds till you start complaining about Internet bullies?
    that's broscience.

squats and deadlifts!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I know "hack" is a cool word to use these days, but maybe in a non-creeper way you could study other people's use of the word and figure out how you should be using it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    OP to answer your question, I never do the same thing twice in the gym or around the gym or in life in general. It is part of my ninja training to be predictably unpredictable. I mean how could I do stealth if I put things in the freezer to indicate to the whole house I'm about to hit the gym. DYENinja?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I like to sing Let's Get Physical omw to the gym... get's me revved for bench press.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    in the AM ....if I am groggy ...I will do my cardio first....this gets the blood going ......

I like to do all push exercise bench shoulder squts on smith machine....not many people use it so it is always open

13Q
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love working out with other people so I only do classes at my gym. We have lots of choices so I don't have to burn out doing the same thing over and over. The only thing is I prefer to exercise in the morning and most classes are in the evening. Although some are at lunchtime.

I start the week by checking my schedule, then I sign up for the classes I want to attend the day before (gym rules ;-\).

I put on my gym clothes at home so I'm ready to go. My gym is a block away from my apartment so it's easy to get to. I chose it for the location as well as facilities.

Fill my water bottle
    If it's a Zumba day: bring my dance shoes

Usual schedule for the week for me.

Monday: Shred 45 minutes, abs 30 minutes, Zumba 45 minutes.
    Tuesday: Cardio Kickboxing 45 minutes
    Wednesday: Les Milles Body Pump 60 minutes
    Thursday: either rest or find an outside Zumba class
    Friday: Les Milles Body Pump 60 minutes
    Saturday: Zumba 60 minutes, V-Barre 60 minutes
    Sunday: same as Thursday.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I love working out with other people so I only do classes at my gym. We have lots of choices so I don't have to burn out doing the same thing over and over. The only thing is I prefer to exercise in the morning and most classes are in the evening. Although some are at lunchtime.

I start the week by checking my schedule, then I sign up for the classes I want to attend the day before (gym rules ;-\).

I put on my gym clothes at home so I'm ready to go. My gym is a block away from my apartment so it's easy to get to. I chose it for the location as well as facilities.

Fill my water bottle
    If it's a Zumba day: bring my dance shoes

Usual schedule for the week for me.

Monday: Shred 45 minutes, abs 30 minutes, Zumba 45 minutes.
    Tuesday: Cardio Kickboxing 45 minutes
    Wednesday: Les Milles Body Pump 60 minutes
    Thursday: either rest or find an outside Zumba class
    Friday: Les Milles Body Pump 60 minutes
    Saturday: Zumba 60 minutes, V-Barre 60 minutes
    Sunday: same as Thursday.

nvm. i change my answer to this^.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    When I'm done with my workout, I put extra weight on the bar and leave it. This leads people to believe that I'm stronger than I really am. This is doubly effective considering I workout alone, at home. I come down to the gym the next day and I'm all "WHOA, I am strong as hell!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And then you get a nice warm up for that day because you have to deload from your previous workout to warm up weight.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

I use it to hold my towel so it doesn't touch the floor while I'm using the squat rack next to it.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    I put my smartphone in my bra.

It gets all sweaty when I squat or deadlift but I dont think it minds.

ooOH, so since she has the MFP app on her phone, we are all cuddled up next to Cranks' boobs while's she's working out!!

I like it here.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    invertedrow_zps81cb737d.gif
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Yep, trolls are seemingly in never short supply. But, you know, whatever works for you I guess.

Jeez louise, how many more seconds till you start complaining about Internet bullies?
    Oh you know how it is... you set a nice table for adults, and some kid decides to leave their table to tell you how just how hardcore they are that instead of moving on when a thread isn't for them, they waste their precious time and effort to tell you that you that they are so GTFO. Boggles the mind.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    I know "hack" is a cool word to use these days, but maybe in a non-creeper way you could study other people's use of the word and figure out how you should be using it.
    In other words, you think observational learning is a waste of time and you've learned all that you can possibly learn. Gotcha.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Also, be careful with your #10. In my experience, 90% of gym-goers have the worst form I have ever seen.
    True. I see this more often with newbies be they middle aged guy like me or a kid like I was learning. I used to skateboard and snowboard in the 80's and 90's and I learned a lot by watching how my friends landed their tricks. I still sucked. I translated that to the gym. After some study, you begin to see patterns of what not to do and what you are doing right or possibly wrong,
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Oh you know how it is... you set a nice table for adults, and some kid decides to leave their table to tell you how just how hardcore they are that instead of moving on when a thread isn't for them, they waste their precious time and effort to tell you that you that they are so GTFO. Boggles the mind.

C'mon guise... he's been here for two whole months. He totally knows how this works.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hacks? I'm really confused by the usage of the word here.

Are you listing/asking about things to get you motivated to go to the gym? Or things you do while you are at the gym in general as you workout to keep you going? And what about it is "a hack"...wouldn't that be more a bad thing? Did you mean gym psych (yourself up) type things?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

As a non-native speaker of English I have no idea what it means in regard to any use and it's meaning. I have seen it used in regard to Ikea furniture, kitchen & gardening stuff, but have no idea what they are talking about.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

It's a public forum. You asked for things that people do for/at the gym. Some people don't do prep stuff or whatever. Their opinion and input is just as welcome as those that do. That doesn't make them trolls...(another word just throw about and misused).