Quality of food?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Wow...there are actually people that think Sonic is "amazing?" It's fast food...I don't know, I've been a foodie for a long time and I don't think any fast food is oh so delicious...it all tastes like a horses *kitten* IMHO. Quality of food is highly important to me as a foodie...I don't eat **** and I'm pretty snobby about it too.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Provide me with the studies you're referencing and and I'll gladly take a look.

Edited because grammar + ADD
    It's general knowledge. Here is probably as good as any place to start but if you're even the least bit curious it won't take you long to dig up more studies on various populations.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=aboriginal+western+diseases&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=4aV3U5vTFOapsQTikICQCg&ved=0CCkQgQMwAA
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

It's general knowledge. Here is probably as good as any place to start but if you're even the least bit curious it won't take you long to dig up more studies on various populations.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=aboriginal+western+diseases&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=4aV3U5vTFOapsQTikICQCg&ved=0CCkQgQMwAA

Bookmarked. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I may still agree to disagree, but who says being informed is a bad thing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

When they adopt western eating habits, do they change any other part of their lifestyle and living conditions as well? Or do they just start stopping at Sonic on the way home and no other aspect of their routine is altered?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow...there are actually people that think Sonic is "amazing?" It's fast food...I don't know, I've been a foodie for a long time and I don't think any fast food is oh so delicious...it all tastes like a horses *kitten* IMHO. Quality of food is highly important to me as a foodie...I don't eat **** and I'm pretty snobby about it too.

Well, at least your admitting it - being a foodie and snobby about it :tongue: ((To clarify, just teasing. No offense meant.))

I think it can be okay. But also depends on location and time of day you go too. I've eaten 5-star gourmet cuisine and although I do like fresher ingredients, I wouldn't go about calling fast food "crap", empty calories, or anything like that. (Difference if you are saying it takes like crap to you versus it "being crap" type of thing)
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of "real" foods advertised, actually.

Haha, love the last one! :laugh:
  • tinkbaby101
    Options
    So the first ever Sonic opened where I live and everyone was like "you have to go... it's amazing". So I gave it a try and I was very disappointed. First, they don't have any real vegetarian options (they didn't even have salads lol ) so I got a mango slushy that would put anybody in diabetic coma and some overly salted and overly greasy tater tots. I couldn't even eat half before I threw that crap away. I call it crap because there is no way in hell that is food. I haven't eaten any fast food in 4 months and I don't miss it. I guess it's true that the palette does change because I rather eat spinach than a highly greasy substance. It's so sad that a double cheeseburger cost less than an apple. That the food culture is all about making money and not producing a healthier society. One thing that I am real focusing on now is QUALITY of food. Read the labels people.. is what your eating real food?

Some tricks I use... If I can not pronounce the ingredients ... I don't buy it or would have this been available for my grandparents when they were kids?

What are some of your tricks? Do you read labels?

One of the things I try to remember is: if it has its own commercial, don't eat it. How often do you see REAL foods advertised, versus fast food, candy, soda, and overly processed junk? Of course, this is just a general guideline because there is the rare commercial that advertises health, but it does help, for me to keep in the back of my mind. Also, shopping the perimeter of the grocery store, and avoiding the middle aisles as much as possible. That keeps my cart full of more real foods, rather than processed stuff.

There are commercials that "advertise" fresh fruits and veggies at farmers market. So I guess farmers markets or any fresh fruit and veggies are now off limits because they have a commercial on them.

Obviously I haven't been watching enough television. Or commercials, anyway. Because the last commercials I saw regarding food were for oreos, McDonald's, iHop, and apparently fruit of the loom counts, so underpants. And as I said in my original reply, there are commercials with healthy foods in them. No need to be purposefully disparaging.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Searching for the Haas/Hass TV commercial, I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hass_avocado

Fascinating story about the origins of this particular brand of avocado.

It's just a shame I won't be able to eat it any more since it would be automatically unhealthy apparently.

:sigh:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Hass is German for hate. It's already got a dangerous name
  • tinkbaby101
    Options
    Searching for the Haas/Hass TV commercial, I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hass_avocado

It's just a shame I won't be able to eat it any more since it would be automatically unhealthy apparently.

I had no idea people took every post here so biblically! Thank you for the demonstration of hyperbole. Super helpful. Shame about those avocados, though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I had no idea people took every post here so biblically! Thank you for the demonstration of hyperbole. Super helpful. Shame about those avocados, though.

More-You-Know.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

not_even_sorry.gif?w=696
  • tinkbaby101
    Options

More-You-Know.gif

45663814.jpg
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

More-You-Know.gif

45663814.jpg

77769916-fffd-40d9-96e7-2a41c890f87f_zpsa9374c29.jpg

not really.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So the first ever Sonic opened where I live and everyone was like "you have to go... it's amazing". So I gave it a try and I was very disappointed. First, they don't have any real vegetarian options (they didn't even have salads lol ) so I got a mango slushy that would put anybody in diabetic coma and some overly salted and overly greasy tater tots. I couldn't even eat half before I threw that crap away. I call it crap because there is no way in hell that is food. I haven't eaten any fast food in 4 months and I don't miss it. I guess it's true that the palette does change because I rather eat spinach than a highly greasy substance. It's so sad that a double cheeseburger cost less than an apple. That the food culture is all about making money and not producing a healthier society. One thing that I am real focusing on now is QUALITY of food. Read the labels people.. is what your eating real food?

Some tricks I use... If I can not pronounce the ingredients ... I don't buy it or would have this been available for my grandparents when they were kids?

I'd say that attempting to choose foods your grandparents had available when they were kids is a good safe starting point. I also attempt to choose store bought foods by considering their ingredient lists. I choose things like bread, ketchup, dressings etc. with shorter lists of REAL ingredients. And I also look for how many ways "sugar" appears on the list. Not very popular on here apparently.

So fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits and gravy, fried pork chops, and with everything battered and fried in lard is your recommendation to the OP?
    At least it's food.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I'd say that attempting to choose foods your grandparents had available when they were kids is a good safe starting point. I also attempt to choose store bought foods by considering their ingredient lists. I choose things like bread, ketchup, dressings etc. with shorter lists of REAL ingredients. And I also look for how many ways "sugar" appears on the list. Not very popular on here apparently.

So fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits and gravy, fried pork chops, and with everything battered and fried in lard is your recommendation to the OP?
    At least it's food.

So's the other stuff.

It contains proteins, carbohydrates and fats. All of which the body uses for energy and other metabolic processes. What a foolish, myopic thing to say.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had an argument over this topic. I asked for a specific food item by brand when he went to the store. Instead, he comes home with the generic, cheap no brand version of it. I did try and just couldn't eat it.

Next time I was at the store, I bought what I wanted. When hubby saw it in the frig later he got an attitude because he already bought me some. No, you didn't. My explanation to him was... I am very limited in what I can eat, and not very much of that even, so by golly if I eat something it's going to taste good so i can enjoy it and make it worth my calorie spend to have it.

That pretty much ended the argument and I think he "gets it" now.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you want quality food, you've got to cook it yourself.

Ideally, you'd even grow it yourself :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

At least it's food.

So's the other stuff.

It contains proteins, carbohydrates and fats. All of which the body uses for energy and other metabolic processes. What a foolish, myopic thing to say.
    Not in the slightest. But if all you're looking at to judge food is macros, I'd say that's a tad "myopic".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I eat food that I like. I don't get hung up on ingredient lists and whether I can pronounce things, and this is why:
    <snip image>
    this is such a silly argument.

The only person who seems to be trying to argue is you. The point about unpronounceable ingredients in foods is quite valid. People get hung up on scientific and "chemical" sounding names because they assume that the ingredient is some lab-manufactured monstrosity that is going to do horrible things to them, when in actuality it is something completely harmless or even good for you.
    What's good for you? Sonic tater tots?:laugh:

:huh: I'm not sure if you are confused, drunk, hangry, or just looking to yell at someone. I said that just because an ingredient in food has a hard-to-pronounce name, doesn't necessarily mean that it is created in a lab or bad for you, and in some cases, the ingredient is actually good for you. I didn't say anything about Sonic tater tots. I've never even been to a Sonic so I really can't weigh in on them one way or the other.
    The OP's post was about tater tots. Please try to reply without insulting me.