why am I not losing weight??

Options
12346»

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Now you both have piqued my curiosity...big time...what did it really say?

It was just something along the lines of six miles not being a huge calorie burn for a 120 lb person. It's very unfortunately true.

Ok...agreed. but walking 6 miles is actually pretty hard core...mentally, primarily...I used to walk 10 miles and I really had to find something to think during that 2.5 hours...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ok...agreed. but walking 6 miles is actually pretty hard core...mentally, primarily...I used to walk 10 miles and I really had to find something to think during that 2.5 hours...

No, I agree, it's not a cakewalk, but unfortunately mental doesn't burn that many calories.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I also don't think that 2 weeks is very long to judge whether you are losing weight or not. Water, time of the month, and just....because, can all affect the scales. Check in another 2 weeks. Sometimes the inches move first and the scales catch up later.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

No, I agree, it's not a cakewalk, but unfortunately mental doesn't burn that many calories.

actually depending on the pace

2mph = 327 calories up to 5mph 524 calories (give or take) so lets say the average pace is 3mph 382 calories but definately not 1000....:noway:
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

2mph = 327 calories up to 5mph 524 calories (give or take) so lets say the average pace is 3mph 382 calories but definately not 1000....:noway:

Yeah, to me that's not a great calorie burn for the time spent. I also am not sure if OP is walking this throughout the course of a day or all at once. Edit: on re-read, it looks like she is doing the walk in one go.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yeah, to me that's not a great calorie burn for the time spent. I also am not sure if OP is walking this throughout the course of a day or all at once.

me either, when I walk I do a couple miles (max 3) and try to keep my pace at least 3.5mph and I don't do it for weight loss, I do it to spend time with the husband, outside getting my vit d in...and fresh air...

If I am doing cardio for exercise it's HIIT and/or biking.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I have been eating less than 1200 calories per day, my carbs have been less than 30 grams daily, and I have been walking 6 miles on hilly trails daily burning 1000 calories and not eating those calories back. So why am I not losing any weight at all???
    OP, this post is going to sound confrontational, but it's not meant to be so. Have you gone back and reviewed your diary? I saw only one day where you were under 30 carbs (I didn't go back the whole two weeks) and definitely not every day was under 1200 calories. I don't say this to harp on you, just to point out that our goals and what we actually do are not always the same, but we are good at tricking ourselves. Our bodies don't care what we think we did, they care what we really did.

The good news is you don't have to eat under 1200 calories and 30 grams of carbs to lose weight; you do have to be honest with yourself.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options

That's what I'm so unsure of because I have literally logged every single thing I eat or drink (besides water, I forget to log all my water). I track my work outs using the Ostrava app. Sometimes I will OVER log some things just in case. (Example sometimes I use plain yogurt in recipes and it doesnt give me the option of using 1 table spoon so I log 1/4 cup) I have only been dieting for 2 weeks so maybe its too early? I'm not sure. I'm really trying to understand all this but its more complicated than I originally thought.

it sounds like you are just picking an entry in the log and using it, without independently verifying the accuracy of the log entry. The stuff in the database is FULL of errors as it's stuff just entered by users. I check the entry off of the package or a couple other sites for accuracy. If there is not an entry for what you need, you can make one. I know others have said this but I will repeat because it is that important- for things like peanut butter WEIGH it don't measure it with a spoon/cup. Measuring spoons and cups are really only suited for liquids if you want accurate measurements.

And somewhere you asked if one day can throw off 2 weeks- yes, yes it absolutely can. It might not throw it off enough that you didn't end up in a deficit over the 2 weeks, but it might have made the deficit small enough that with water retention, etc you would not perceive any loss.

The point is there are a lot of variables that affect what the scale shows. Clean up your tracking, research ways to find more accurate counts for your food and exercise (I agree 1000 cals for 6 miles seems WAY over), try it out again for a couple weeks and see what happens.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Now you both have piqued my curiosity...big time...what did it really say?

It was just something along the lines of six miles not being a huge calorie burn for a 120 lb person. It's very unfortunately true.
    And, it is true because the less you weigh the less you actually burn.

I ran 6.5 miles today in about 68 minutes and my HRM rendered 604 calories-I weigh around 140 or so.. If I weighed 120, it would've been much less. However, the treadmill had me burning over 850 calories. BIG difference.