Anyone else here a vegetarian?

Options
Manda86
Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
My Achilles' heel has always been breads and pastas- I don't eat meat, although I do eat dairy products and I'm looking for some suggestions for complete meals that contain the protein/iron my body needs, and is relatively low sodium- low carb.. any ideas? Any meat replacements that you can't live without that you'd like to share?

Thanks!

Replies

• Manda86
    Options
    My Achilles' heel has always been breads and pastas- I don't eat meat, although I do eat dairy products and I'm looking for some suggestions for complete meals that contain the protein/iron my body needs, and is relatively low sodium- low carb.. any ideas? Any meat replacements that you can't live without that you'd like to share?

Thanks!
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I am. I think there are lots of us here.
  • Manda86
    Options
    do you have any favorite foods/recipes you'd care to share? I get bored very easily with foods so I have to include a lot of variety if i have any hope of staying on track.
  • c-grandma
    c-grandma Posts: 73
    Options
    I do the no sugar-no flour diet. Sorta vegetarian. It eliminates alot! Only fruit, veggies, dairy. Simple. I eat chiken and turkey occasionally. It works, with exercise. I eat alot of yogurt, and salads. And alot of fruit. Not many recipes to pass on, just find the veggies and fruit you like. I feel great and am down 88lbs. I love it! Good luck-Chris.
  • lolakey
    Options
    I eat a lot of whole grains, rice and beans, tofu ... what do you like to eat?

I'll try to post some of my favorite recipes.
  • Manda86
    Options
    I incorporate a lot of soy into my diet, as well, I eat a lot of morningstar, lightlife, and boca products- I was a vegetarian for several years, and by dating a meat eater for a few years, got tired of cooking 2 different meals- I felt so much better when I didn't eat meat, though, so a couple of weeks ago, I decided to switch back to veggies only- I can already tell a difference, my body feels so much lighter that it's worth the extra effort. I weighed 171 when I started, and I'm down to 167.4... right now I'm stuck on Udon soup- it's vegan and pretty lowcal, and delicious- I add a cup of fresh chopped veggies and tofu..
  • persian_dancer
    Options
    :smile: I'm a vegetarian too! I eat fish but thats because I can't give up sushi! Thats my achilles heel :frown:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    veggie here !

i like to make soups, i make a pot and that gives me a quick, low cal lunch.
    for high iron,
    i fill up a pot of fresh broccoli, and about 3 medium size potatoes
    cover with vegetable broth (you can do low cal, but seriously changes the taste, so i put 1 low sodium, 1 normal)
    boil until soft,
    add either a little bit of cream or butter (like 1/4 cup) and blend down (i use a hand blender) and voila !
    depending on the amount you have in your bol. you can have it at about 130 calories per bol.

you can do the same with leeks, thats my favorite

may
  • Manda86
    Options
    that sounds really good... it's good to find some other people that live meat-free... I live in west texas and I was(before I started eating meat), and now am again, the only vegetarian I know.
  • kobrien1103
    Options
    Im a day time vegetarian. Ha! I know that sounds insaine but the way I look at it is I can eat vegetarian during the day and then not have to worry so much about what I make for dinner at home with my family. There it is all about portion control. Anyway these are some other staples I found to keep me full and still meet my nutrition standards.
    Morning Star Veggie burgers, They all are under 200 cals per pattie. I susally will throw one of these in the microwave for lunch and eat some mixed veggies on the side.
    Almonds are a great snack, just dont eat too many, they have a lot of cals in them but lots of protien.
    I am hooked on oatmeal. Sometimes I will throw a little bit of mixed fruit on top.
    I forget what the company is called, but its the fish company with the fisherman that has a yellow rain coat on lol. They make microwaveable fish patties that are only 100 cals. I dont know if you eat fish but if you do they are pretty good.
    Anyway hope some of my suggestions help!
  • dachinababe
    dachinababe Posts: 185
    Options
    Fairly new to vegetarian world..but I one thing i did learn to love is TOfu....and soymilk... soy milk contain a little bit of calcium (but if you buy the calcium enriched one, it has more calcium), same amount of protein as milk, and healthy fat. not only that.. I found some imitated seafood and meat in chinese supermarkets.. they taste delicious and contain a lot of protein and healthy fat..at last... I also incorprated a little bit of whey protein shake into my diet because I am afraid that I won't get enough protein. and I take multivitamine/multimineral supplement just in case I miss some thing..
  • Manda86
    Options
    No, don't eat fish, but almonds are a great idea- I heard somewhere that if you nosh on a few of those when you feel hungry it'll curb the edge and help you make it til meal time. That's where my problem was before, I'm a chronic snacker- instead of trying to work against it, I'm just eating whenever i feel hungry, but trying to make better choices for my snacking. I always forget about nuts and go straight for the chips, so I'll definitely try that! Thanks :smile:
  • Manda86
    Options
    Oops.. double posted.. :tongue:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a veggie too (since I was 13). I love carbs, too - just go for ones that are higher in fiber and not simple carbs. Honestly, most Americans get way more protein than they need, but vegetable sources are generally healthier than animal ones (diets high in animal protein are linked to higher rates of osteoporosis).

Here are some of my favorites for meals that I can think of:
    Hummus - usually homemade (on whole wheat pita, wraps, as a veggie dip, whatever)
    Stir Fry - with one or more of peanuts/cashews/peanut butter/tofu and lots of veggies, garlic, ginger, onion, soy/teriyaki/whatever sauce (whatever tastes good to you), and either no rice or only a small amount (brown rice preferred)
    Broccoli Makhani - Steamed/lightly cooked broccoli with a sauce of sauteed onion and garlic, crushed tomatoes, plain yogurt, indian spices (cumin, garam masala, cayenne, black pepper, chili powder, salt, whatever), maybe a little cream or half and half if I have any. You could definitely throw tofu or paneer in here if you wanted.
    Veggie Wraps - whole wheat tortilla, fresh lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, red peppers, some sort of cheese (cheddar, feta, mozzarella), some sort of homemade dressing or salsa (balsamic vinegar/olive oil, honey/lime, peanut butter/soy, etc)
    Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas - roast frozen corn in a dry skillet until it starts to sizzle/pop a little, add drained/rinsed beans, then put mixture on a tortilla, add shredded cheese (cheddar/jack - you don't need a ton), fold over tortilla and toast in skillet until lightly browned on each side. Serve with lots of salsa!
    Soups - you can add grains like quinoa or barley and beans to thicken them up a bit and add protein

For snacks:
    Almonds
    Yogurt
    Apples (sometimes with peanut butter if I have the calories to spare - YUM)
    any other fresh fruit or veggie
    lowfat string cheese
    Clif Z Kids bar (120 cal) or LUNA bar (180 cal)

Mmmmm... now I'm definitely ready for lunch! :laugh:
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I love Amy's brand quick frozen meals, or I make lots of hummus type dips to eat with Pita chips. I know this next recipe is going to sound really weird, but I love it. I saute onions until translucent and add a tablespoon of BBQ sauce and put in a whole wheat pita with some low cal vegan cheese. It's so good!! I KNOW that it sounds weird, but you have to try it!
  • jlauren6
    Options
    Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas - roast frozen corn in a dry skillet until it starts to sizzle/pop a little, add drained/rinsed beans, then put mixture on a tortilla, add shredded cheese (cheddar/jack - you don't need a ton), fold over tortilla and toast in skillet until lightly browned on each side. Serve with lots of salsa!

THESE SOUND YUMMY!! :tongue:
  • jlauren6
    Options
    I also make homemade pizza a lot...whole wheat crust, mozz cheese, basil, sliced tomatoes and drizzle of balsamic vinigar.
  • nikkistyles23
    Options
    Uncle Ben's makes a product line of whole grain rice & it comes in all flavors...Best thing about the rice is that it only takes 90 seconds in the microwave. You can eat it plain or add salsa...it's really healthy! Bon Apetit!
  • lolakey
    Options
    My favorite breakfast that keeps me satisfied enough through 3 1/2 hours of 30 kindergarteners is oatmeal. Don't eat the instant kind ... you'll be hungry in one hour.

This is what I ate today,

Breakfast:

1/2 cup of rolled oats (or steel cut if you soak them the night before)
    1/2 cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
    1 tbsp of nuts (almonds, walnuts etc)
    1 tbsp flaxseed
    1 tbsp maple syrup
    1 tsp cinnamon

Cook in microwave for 2.5 minutes. Some days I add frozen blueberries and take out the cinnamon.

Snack:
    1 cup almond milk
    1/2 scoop Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein - Naturally Original Vanilla Unsweetened
    1 tbsp maple syrup
    1 tsp cinnamon*

Shake and drink. I usually prepare this in the morning. I don't get very much time to eat if I'm hungry, so I make sure I have something like this ready for when I (or if I) get a break.
    *sometimes I use chocolate almond milk and omit the cinnamon. It keeps me from being hungry and grumpy with the kids. It also keeps me from eating the horrible snacks my school serves the kiddos.

My Lunch:

1 slice Trader Joe's seeded bread (sorry --- no Joe's in Texas)
    1 serving (4 slices) tofurky deli slices (the plain or roasted ones are great ... the other ones are kinda gross)
    1 serving of sharp cheddar cheese
    1/4 avocado

Afternoon snack:

1/3 cup Fresh strawberries
    1/4 cup fresh blueberries

Total = 748

I haven't eaten dinner yet ... I think we're having coconut curry soup with tofu ... if I have all the stuff in my fridge.
  • Manda86
    Options
    Those ideas all sound delicious, thank you very much for the responses!