Anyone else here a vegetarian?

Options
2»

Replies

• FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    beans/legumes/TVP(textured vegetable protien) any of the veggie alternatives they all make great subs!!!!!
  • free2_praise
    Options
    All though I am not a full out vegetarian because I still eat fish and occasionally some chicken. I don't eat red meat. I will reccommend Boca Burgers though!!!! They have "burger" ones and "chicken" patty one. Both are 100% vegetarian friendly and they are delicious! Also, strawberry, baby spinach salad is full of iron and also delicious with a balsamic vinagriette dressing!
  • sewtoday123
    sewtoday123 Posts: 33
    Options
    My youngest daughter is a "vegian". I have not eat meat in I do not know how long even though I grew up on a dairy. I love to mix tofu into some of my recipes to give them more protein. I also eat ground turkey, chicken, and fish. If you have a great store near you that supplies "soy" products like I do - Whole Foods, Save Mart, and some Italian delies. I love to go to the farmers mkt on Sat. to find local fresh vegies and fruit. MMMMMM.
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    I had the same problem a little while ago, and someone posted this, which I really enjoy, if you eat eggs.

Asparagus Frittata

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 pound asparagus, tough ends snapped off, spears cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten (or Egg Beaters or somesuch)
    1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese

1 Heat olive oil into a 10-inch oven-proof frying pan over medium high heat. Add onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Add asparagus, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until the asparagus are barely tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Pour in eggs and cook until almost set, but still runny on top, about 2 minutes. While cooking, pre-heat oven broiler.

Sprinkle cheese over eggs and put in oven to broil until cheese is melted and browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven with oven mitts and slide frittata onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges.

Or instead of Asparagus you can use spinach
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but I'm going to bump my Black Bean Salsa Salad for you -- as long as you don't eat too much of it, they are complex carbs, high fiber.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh I think about this all the time....I'm not a tofu fan at all! tried it all types of ways too...and sadness of sad, I can't eat nuts any longer due to a medical condition I have...but I'm sooo snagging these recipes people and I think its an awesome lifestyle!!! I only really eat fish and chicken and in small quantity...but ya never know one day...I just may say NO MORE lol

hugs!
    ali
  • luvs2havefun
    Options
    I also absolutely LOVE Amy's frozen meals. They are all either vegetarian or vegan, organic, and are really yummy. I am a vegan and what is great about these is that you can look at the back of the box and if you look at the ingredients you can see whether or not it is vegan and that ALL of the products used are organic and easy to pronounce LOL.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    My Achilles' heel has always been breads and pastas- I don't eat meat, although I do eat dairy products and I'm looking for some suggestions for complete meals that contain the protein/iron my body needs, and is relatively low sodium- low carb.. any ideas? Any meat replacements that you can't live without that you'd like to share?

Thanks!

I'm a hybrid....half and half. I would prefer not to eat meat, but sometimes I'm in the mood. I HAVE tho, taken red meat out of the pic altogether.
  • shachic
    shachic Posts: 10
    Options
    I am a vegeterian since my birth and I cant stand most foods like cheese, pasta( I some how get a kind of smell). Here's a simple,fat-free and nutritious, yet tasty recipe I would like to share. This recipe is from a famous Indian cook Tarla dalal
    Preparation Time : 10 minutes.
    Cooking Time : 25 minutes.

Serves 2.
    Ingredients
    4 medium tomatoes
    150 grams crumbled tofu (optional)
    2 teacups chopped mixed boiled vegetables
    1 chopped onion
    2 chopped green chillies
    2 teaspoons olive oil or canola oil
    salt to taste
    Method
    Cut out the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the centres. Keep aside the scooped portion.

Heat the oil and fry the onion for 1 minute.

Add the green chillies and fry again for 1/2 minute.

Add the vegetables (french beans, carrots, cauliflower, green peas), salt and scooped tomato portion and cook for 2 minutes.

Fill the tomatoes with the mixture and bake in a hot oven at 200 degree C for 20 minutes.

Serve hot.
    Tips
    Health Information :
    A colourful and nutritious dish which is rich in vitamins, amino acids and fibre.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    that sounds good- I'm going to have to try that. I love ANYTHING with chilis in it
  • amandadanda
    amandadanda Posts: 15
    Options
    Santa Fe Bean Company: Instant Fat free, Black Beans
    2 small corn tortillas (you can find many variation I choose a low cal 70 calorie kind-they are smaller but have lots of fiber)
    A little salsa
    Plenty of fresh veggies- onions, greens, green peppers, tomatoes

Very Filling comes in around 250-300 calories plenty of extra room in the meal for fruit which completes it.

To get my protein in I have a portein mix calles EAS protein premium- low fat and 27 g of protein. Add that with Light Silk soy milk and you get tons of vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Plus trust me the mix fills you up forever!

Homemade smoothies are really good just don't add all the sugar which gives you more carbs. Fruit is quite yummy and sugary without it. Personally I mix a half cup of frozen with a half cup of fresh, 1/4 cup skim milk, 1/4 cup OJ(optional). Depedning on your juice you hit up between 150-200 calories.