Big boned

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Lmao! : ) Big boned is almost as good of an excuse not to succeed as " I don't have time" or " I just don't have the genetics for it" and " I'm too old" ( which is the excuse I tried to use as a cop out)

Some people DO have a larger frame than others. I'm one of them. I will never fit in a size 0, even if I go down to 15% body fat or something (which is never happening).

And the woman on those xrays is definitely obese... I don't think OP is.

^^^ this

there's a huge amount of variation in human skeletons... that one image shows a small framed obese woman... doesn't really mean anything.... there's no image comparing two lean people one small framed and one large framed

this pic of a male neanderthal and male homo sapiens shows how much human skeletons can vary... some modern humans are as large framed as neanderthals were. plus there are neanderthal genes in modern populations (possibly including genes for large frame size, although large frame size doesn't have to be from neanderthal genes) ...... basically, the shape and proportions of human skeletons can vary a lot, and some people have wider skeletons than others, and this makes them heavier for their height and impossible to be a size zero. Large frame size does not mean fat though. You can be large framed and lean, just that your BMI will still be on the high side and you won't be a size zero, even at 15% body fat.

Skeletons.jpg
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3...and according to all the "tests" I have taken to determine frame size, I have a medium frame. I also wear a size 9 shoe (did I mention that I am 5'3).

I also have "child-bearing" hips. That is a compliment. I was only in labor with my 2nd child a total of 5 hours...and it took pushes to get her out! Also, ALL of my fat is stored in my butt and thighs. I had a friend tell me once, "you would be SO tiny, if it weren't for your huge butt!" I just laughed. She's right!

Maybe what people mean when they say that they "can't believe you've lost 50lbs" is that they can't believe you HAD 50lbs to lose to begin with!
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Tricep_A_Tops_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Being " big boned" has to do with your skeletal frame not being over weight or obese. I'm big boned but it didn't prevent me from losing 83lbs or being 8% bf. But if it makes you feel better by all means, use it as an excuse.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I like big bones
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like big bones

And I cannot lie
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am genuinely big boned. I am just a shade under 5'4" and I have a long trunk and short legs. I suffered from a medical condition that reabsorbed calcium from my bones, and my large frame kept me from getting osteoporosis. I had surgery last year to correct this condition, and now my large frame is really helpful in weight training and getting back into shape.

Here is a link that will help you determine if you are big boned:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5168157_measure-size-see-big-boned.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I am genuinely big boned. I am just a shade under 5'4" and I have a long trunk and short legs. I suffered from a medical condition that reabsorbed calcium from my bones, and my large frame kept me from getting osteoporosis. I had surgery last year to correct this condition, and now my large frame is really helpful in weight training and getting back into shape.

Here is a link that will help you determine if you are big boned:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5168157_measure-size-see-big-boned.html

This test doesn't mean anything. There is a more accurate one that measures your elbow as well.
  • deannc1
    deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    At 6ft tall and large framed I have to lose at least 25 lbs before anyone even says, "Hey your face looks thinner...have you lost a COUPLE of pounds?" I wanna say "Are you freaking kidding me?" But I just smile sweetly and say, "Oh yeah, I lost a few." I am now at 36lbs lost and am getting the face thinner comments! I have about 80lbs more to go. I know I will never be rail thin (Kate Moss type) but I can be curvy (Tyra Banks type). But it's all good cause like my hubby says, "Nobody wants a bone but a dog!" :laugh:
  • Nimhel
    Nimhel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    At 6ft tall and large framed I have to lose at least 25 lbs before anyone even says, "Hey your face looks thinner...have you lost a COUPLE of pounds?" I wanna say "Are you freaking kidding me?" But I just smile sweetly and say, "Oh yeah, I lost a few." I am now at 36lbs lost and am getting the face thinner comments! I have about 80lbs more to go. I know I will never be rail thin (Kate Moss type) but I can be curvy (Tyra Banks type). But it's all good cause like my hubby says, "Nobody wants a bone but a dog!" :laugh:

I get the thinner face from my mother all time now! I know what you mean.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

That's not a very nice thing to say. Just like you are naturally larger framed, plenty of women have small frames. There's no reason to insult them like that.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

That's not a very nice thing to say. Just like you are naturally larger framed, plenty of women have small frames. There's no reason to insult them like that.

This. And your husband is entitled to his sexual preferences, but that doesn't mean everyone shares them.
  • deannc1
    Options

He's not referring to small frames,,,,,he's talking about being super under weight. It's just a sentiment he uses to encourage me when I am moaning about being overweight. There was never an intent to insult anyone.....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

He's not referring to small frames,,,,,he's talking about being super under weight. It's just a sentiment he uses to encourage me when I am moaning about being overweight. There was never an intent to insult anyone.....

I understand the phrase, I hear it a lot as a size 2-4. It is insulting to many women, even if it's meant to make a person feel better. You don't have to bring down some women in order to lift others up.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

bark bark . . .
  • deannc1
    Options

bark bark . . .

LOL!!
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Spookey - I just posted to another question regarding goal weight and it reminded me of the big boned issue. I am 5ft 8 ins and target 85kgs - which is high end of most weight charts. At that weight I can comfortably wear a UK size 14 and feel comfortable. Any thinner and I look ill and do not feel comfortable.
  • deannc1
    Options

This. And your husband is entitled to his sexual preferences, but that doesn't mean everyone shares them.

As I've said, no insult was intended so mea culpa to anyone who took offense. And agreed he, along with everyone else is entitled to their sexual preferences....that's one of the things that makes the world so interesting.
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It sounds like to me they're all misguided comments with good intentions but bad results.

Like they're trying to make you feel better about how you looked before, and trying to say it was natural. My mother says I'm big-boned and "solid", so me being overweight "isn't as bad". I think they don't understand how hard you have worked to lose your weight.

I don't think you're being stupid at all. It looks like you feel as though your work is being undermined and that is upsetting for obvious reasons. Some people are a little blind to it, especially if they've been around you *as* you've lost weight.

By the way, congrats on a 50 lb loss - that's wonderful. Keep working hard, don't let anything bring you down.
  • Ramonanc
    Ramonanc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nimhel, I can certainly tell a difference in these pictures! Keep up the GREAT work!!! It's what you think and how good you feel in your own skin that counts.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    when you hear comments like that esp from your friends...........it should be more motivation.......................you can get where you want to be if you really want it..............I think people just like to say that if you have always been big................my family always tells me that when I tell them where I want to be. they keep telling me I will never be able to get that low because I'm big boned
    I just say to myself.........will see