How often to weigh yourself

Options
Good morning everybody. Well I just started this diet on Thursday, and I've really been sticking to it. I'm actually on the Herbalife Diet just to start. Anyway after three full days of dieting I couldn't wait to weigh myself this morning. I was feeling a little down as I went to bed last night with an awful headache. I wasn't hungry so I think it was from allergies. Anyway so I weighed myself this morning and I'm down four pounds. So I'm happy with that. I just wondered how often should a person weigh theselves? I'd love to weigh every day, but am afraid I'd get discouraged if there isn't any change. Thank you for your help

Replies

• sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    Weighting yourself everyday can be incredibly discouraging indeed. But I personally can't wait a whole week before my weight-in. I think it's a good idea to have set days you weight yourself though, like once or twice a week. If you do decide that weighting is part of your morning routine, just remember that weight does fluctuate and don't get disheartened if you put in a pound or two even after eating well previous day.
  • Ashado2014
    Ashado2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help. I think maybe I'll do it every other day. I actually ordered a new scale as the one I'm using is very old, and proably not real accurate. Thank you again
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    Not a problem, and do keep in mind that some of the weight will be water weight. Eating more salt makes me weight more the next morning (but not in the long term), while drinking alcohol makes me dehydrated and lose immediate weight (but put some on long-term).
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week on Sunday mornings and Wednesday mornings. And it's always a huge loss and a small gain. Which I'm totally OK with.

Word of caution, don't expect a 4 lb loss at every weigh-in. The first week or two you will lose a bunch of water weight, and then the scale will settle down to a hopefully reasonable loss of 1-2 lbs a week.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates a lot. I use to weigh myself all the time but it ended up bumming me out so now I weigh once a week. Plus, you get a bigger drop when you do that lol.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I log everyday for now just so I can see the trend on how my body reacts to what foods I ate the day before. Also this keeps me motivated to keep going!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I log everyday for now just so I can see the trend on how my body reacts to what foods I ate the day before. Also this keeps me motivated to keep going!

Sorry I meant "I weigh everyday..."
  • judy17051
    judy17051 Posts: 6
    Options
    My previous coach, who has since moved to another state, told me I was only supposed to weigh myself once a week. I did not like that idea, because I was used to weighing myself every day. BAD idea!!! If I had lost some weight, I would "celebrate" and eat something I was not supposed to eat. Then, if I did not lost, or gain a little, I was down in the "dumps" and eat a "no-no". So, it was a no-win situation for me. It was a Thursday when I had my first talk with my former coach. So, that is the day I keep for weighing myself. It took all I could manage to not get on the scale before that next Thursday rolled around. I still stick to it. Hope this helps.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Short answer: I don't weigh myself. My doctor weighs me once a month.

Long answer: I was getting so tied up in that number on the scale that I started weighing myself twice a day so my doctor made me get rid of my scale.

If you're not batspit crazy like I am, once a week should do it, especially for a woman.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself once a week but I'm going to change it to once a month because I'm getting so disheartened seeing gains and hope that after a month I'd be more likely to see a loss. It never used to bother me the last time I lost weight but in all honesty I lost pretty much every week were as at the moment it's up and down and all over the place despite being 100% consistent (aside from 1 day in the past 2 months where I went over a bit).
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but I pay ZERO attention to the day to day changes in weight. I take a 7 day average of my weight and compare that weekly average to the previous few weeks. That is a much better indicator of progress then trying to compare day to day.
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    Everyday. Sometime twice a day. I need to put the scale away and weigh once a month but the suspense would kill me
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but I pay ZERO attention to the day to day changes in weight. I take a 7 day average of my weight and compare that weekly average to the previous few weeks. That is a much better indicator of progress then trying to compare day to day.

I weigh once a week but I like the idea of a weekly average. I think I'll start doing this.
  • Toria214
    Toria214 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself once a week on the same day and time. I chose Monday mornings. If I see a gain after a bad weekend of eating, I will usually chuck any gain to water weight bc it always goes back down by my next weigh in.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself once a week on the same day and time. I chose Monday mornings. If I see a gain after a bad weekend of eating, I will usually chuck any gain to water weight bc it always goes back down by my next weigh in.
    The only issue here is if you have a high sodium day Sunday night it will skew your entire weekly results. If you take an average water fluctuations will affect you comparisons far less.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but only update my weight about once a week.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    Every Sunday Morning ..
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Eh. Like never. Maaaybe once a month or two, if I'm curious.
  • jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I use a weight tracker app that takes my daily readings and gives me an average.

I love weighing every day. I think I would have more potential to be disappointed if I only weighed once a week. If I happened to catch a higher weight day I may get discouraged that a week didn't give me results. Weighing every day, I can see that some days are higher than others and that a high day isn't bad, because the overall trend is down. :)