How often to weigh yourself

Options

Replies

• sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I weigh once every week or two when I feel like I have lost some weight. Not seeing a loss really used to get me down so I decided to put the scale away for awhile. Now I am used to doing it every so often when I don't feel bloated in the morning. I do take my measurements at least once a week. That seems more important to me and I don't feel as down when I still measure the same. There is definitely a psychological factor to weightloss! Daily weigh ins don't bother some people but for me it really does.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I weigh once every week or two when I feel like I have lost some weight. Not seeing a loss really used to get me down so I decided to put the scale away for awhile. Now I am used to doing it every so often when I don't feel bloated in the morning. I do take my measurements at least once a week. That seems more important to me and I don't feel as down when I still measure the same. There is definitely a psychological factor to weightloss! Daily weigh ins don't bother some people but for me it really does.

I'm the same! I'm lucky too that I do seem to have lost inches every time I measure which is roughly every 2-3 weeks.
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom but only log in weight loss once a week . By doing it this way, it keeps me accountable and on point . It works for me .
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh yourself every day then calculating an average is the way to go, at least for me. I use trendweight.com and it provides a nice graph to show what's going on behind the 'noise' of daily weights jumping around. Simple and free to use.
  • desiof1996
    desiof1996 Posts: 2
    Options
    I only weigh my self once a week, every Monday first thing in the morning before eating. Since weight can fluctuate I can become discourage very easily if I do it more than that. Doing it every Monday also helps me set my goals I want to achieve and gets me in the right mindset for the whole week.
  • desiof1996
    desiof1996 Posts: 2
    Options
    Also if you weigh daily you can get upset and find yourself binge eating more.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I enjoy seeing the fluctuations, so I weigh in daily. It never ceases to amaze me how much water my body can store from one day to another lol
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Almost never these days. Kept some old clothes from a decade or so ago when I was in college, at my slimmest. When those are too loose I'll get back on the scale.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but I pay ZERO attention to the day to day changes in weight. I take a 7 day average of my weight and compare that weekly average to the previous few weeks. That is a much better indicator of progress then trying to compare day to day.

Spot on...as always! I'm an engineer by trade, so I'm used to measuring and logging. So I step on the scale every day. Sometimes just for kicks, I weigh myself before bed and then when I wake up...just to see where I go. It's very normal for me to move up and down by 2lbs a day or more.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost everyday. I don't don't on weekends. At first I thought if I did this it would make me paranoid about every single weight fluctation. However, after a month on myftinesspal I realized that you can't gain 5 pounds of fat in one day. It made me really get interested in my water weight fluctuations.

I feel like I know my body better when I measure several times a week. I know if I have gained a lot of water weight suddenly that I have either not been drinking enough water or I'm about to start my cycle. I know based on trends if I'm trending up in weight or down.
  • tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself frequently but I've gotten to the point that I care more about how my clothes are fitting, so I weigh myself once every few weeks. I honestly forget to weigh myself.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It is best to weigh only once weekly, on the same day, same time of day, on the same scale, in the same clothing and shoes. That will give you a better picture of how you are doing, especially once you hit the point that your weight loss gets slower. None of the weight you have lost yet is fat, it's all water, and soon, you will only be losing 1 lb. a week. But, don't let that discourage you. Don't focus so much on the scale but on doing what you're supposed to do, every day.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. But I know that it is not that accurate as a measure of my recent diet. I can easily go up a couple of pounds for no reason, or lose a couple with no obvious effort. It is more helpful if you take a note of the trend over a month or more.

If it will stress you out to see gains, then weigh less often. If you don't care and are curious to see the random fluctuations then go ahead and weigh more often. Just be sure to have in mind that a couple pounds gain over night could not possibly reflect a gain in fat! (Unless you managed to overeat by at least 7000kcal, in which case I hope it was reeaaaly good food :laugh: )
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i do it once a month to keep from obsessiing over it, which would drive me mad weighing myself once a week, or even every 2 weeks
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I weighed in 1 to 2 times a week. Over time my weigh ins are less frequent. I went from 1-2 times a week to 1 time a week to 1 time every two weeks. Now I'm weighing in 1-2 times a month. At what I'm at now ( maintaining or on a small deficit ) I can't see what's going on when I weigh myself more than 2 times a month. I weigh in 1 to 2 times a month and evaluate. I just weighed in a few days ago as an evaluation and found I can up my calories due to losing 1 lb in two weeks on 1700 calories.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm really compulsive, and a little obsessive so I usually step on the scale every day, but I only record once a week. I'd like to record less often, but lately the numbers have been very kind to me so I'm using it as motivation to keep on going!
  • ava_birkenhaus
    Options
    I try to weigh myself as little as possible--once every two weeks. Before, when I weighed myself every day, seeing a loss made me feel better about cheating with junk food or skimping on exercise. Seeing a gain after you've worked your butt off can just get you down.

I have also been doing a great deal of weight training. This means that my body LOOKS different (my belly has shrunk, pants are about to fall off, I have newfound muscle definition, etc.), but the SCALE says I'm only three pounds lighter than I was a month ago. Just keep going, eat clean and healthy, try to stress less, win one victory at a time.

You just have to trust that eventually everything will fall into place--keep working!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but it doesn't phase me when I gain, I'm used to it by now.
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day right now. I'm at that very early stage where I'm dropping almost a pound a day so it's fun. I think it's almost all water weight so I didn't freak when I suddenly gained a pound and a half this morning. So long as the general trend is downward, I don't mind little bumps up.

I also feel like I can get to know my body better by checking out what it's doing from day to day.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your attitude. I weigh every day and it goes up about as often as it goes down. Some times it will go up for several days in a row (I admit that gets a little worrisome) but then I'll drop the whole gain and a little more in one day. This sounds frustrating, but I think I've become desensitized to these fluctuations. By comparison, imagine if your weekly weigh-in lands on a day that your weight goes up. You can gain 1 or 2 lbs and it's just really depressing. But if you weigh every day, than you let it go because maybe you saw it drop to a new low some time in the middle of the week. Or you just learn to trust that you'll drop that weight faster than you gained it.

Try it a couple different ways see what works best for you.