Options
    Awesome, thanks, inskydiamonds!!
  • PlatinumPiggy
    Options
    bump
  • carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    love swett potato fries. Here's a twist on it other then cinnamon and sugar. Toss the fries with some fresh thyme and rosemary finely chopped with some butter, evoo, margarine,veg.oil(which ever you prefer) & a little splenda brown sugar. Goes great with pork chops.
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    The only thing I ever really do with them is make spicy coconut soup so I'm looking forward to trying some new recipes. Will post my soup one tomorrow
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    While not related to THIS cooking challenge, voting for the last challenge using Greek yogurt is still going on and it's tied! There's about 48 hours left to vote, so go here: http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146 and vote for the best recipe from here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/127550-cooking-challenge-greek-yogurt
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Cajun Style Baked Sweet Potato

INGREDIENTS:
    13 oz sweet potato, cut into chunks
    3/4 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp brown sugar
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    1/8 tsp onion powder
    1/8 tsp dried thyme
    1/8 tsp dried rosemary
    1/8 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    3/4 tsp olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. In a small bowl stir together all the spices. Brush the sweet potato with the olive oil and then rub in the spices into the pieces.

3. Bake for an hour.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 182

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I've never cooked with sweet potato before, so I didn't want to do anything too wild in case I hated it. I LOVED it. I served these with jambalaya and they were great being the sweet taste of the sweet potato offset the spicy fire in my mouth because of the jambalaya.

PICTURE (optional): IMG_3573.jpg
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I am currently "cooking up" a heart-healthy potato pie recipe that will knock your socks off :wink: Really hope it turns out. Not sure when I'll have time to make it with my running and working this week, but hopefully I can fit it in! Was also hoping to make pumpkin spice cupcakes for Hallowe'en... Hmmm Perhaps I shouldn't make dessert after all. So many good ideas!

This sweet potato pie may turn into individual ramekins of sweet goodness :happy: Stay tuned.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Veggie Goulash

200 g onion
    450 g celeriac
    450 g sweetpotato
    400 g can chopped tomatoes
    300 g quorn pieces
    1 tbsp caraway seeds
    1 tbsp paprika (smoked if you can get it)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 pint of vegatable stock
    300 g greek yogurt

Directions

Chop/dice the onion

Chop the celeriac & sweetpotato into cubes

Place the olive oil in the pan and heat add the carraway seeds, allow to pop!
    add the onions and paprika,add the quorn pieces ( so they get coated in the paprika)
    Add the stock, sweet potato ,celeriac and chopped tomatoes simmer until vegtables are cooked ( this varies, depending on the size of your veg cubes).

when cooked allow to cool for 15 minutes, then stir in the greek yogurt and serve.

serves 5

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 284Calories
    Total Fat 5.8g9%
    Saturated Fat 1.4g7%
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 5mg2%
    Sodium 632mg26%
    Total Carbohydrates 40.0g13%
    Dietary Fiber 10.0g40%
    Sugars 11.6g
    Protein 19.4g

Posted originally by me on calorie count , adpted from a food doctor recipe

Read more: http://caloriecount.about.com/mum-veggie-goulash-recipe-r342375#ixzz13SSvXI5T

Delicious! a real comfort food for a cold winters day!
    Loved by all the family& guests. :heart:
    The smoked paprika gives it an extra depth if you can get it!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    If you haven't yet, please go vote on the greek yogurt challenge. It's tied and voting ends tomorrow!
    http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Calories Per Serving: 153
    Carbs Per Serving: 26
    Fat Per Serving: 5
    Protein Per Serving: 2
    Sodium Per Serving: 269

Serves: 3

Photo

101_1555.jpg

I have the recipe scheduled to post tomorrow morning on my blog at http://abc-lolita.blogspot.com/ at 10AM (I think that's 2AM PST?) with step-by-step photos and instructions that would clog the forums here ;)

How it tasted?

ADDICTIVE! My sweet potatoes were still a little raw/too young I think, because they were very hard to cut! But their sweetness paired with salt and pepper was a very surprising but perfect blend! I have had sweet potato fries before, but they were always actually FRIED and pretty gross :x Baking them gets rid of the greasy flavor and mouthfeel and this is simple enough (I made it in a toaster oven!) for anybody to do! I would suggest trying to get even size wedges so they bake evenly though :bigsmile: but they are super tasty and reheat well. A make-ahead dish for busy weeks!

EDIT
    Wow I just edited this post 8 times and still can't figure out why the photo won't show.... I'm using forum coding (in lowercase) and the photo hasn't been moved or deleted :mad:

And apparently you can't link to any url that isn't a part of MFP:angry:
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

EDIT
    Wow I just edited this post 8 times and still can't figure out why the photo won't show.... I'm using forum coding (in lowercase) and the photo hasn't been moved or deleted :mad:

And apparently you can't link to any url that isn't a part of MFP:angry:

That's weird, I went to see if I could figure it out, but can't. Maybe just leave the link to the picture?
  • shannon428
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: My version of sweet potato fries (used yams (orange) instead of sweet potatoes (yellow))

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Sweet Potatoes / Yams, cut into 1/4 inch sticks
    Canola or Olive Oil Spray
    Sea Salt
    Fresh ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 400*. Place sweet potatoes on non-stick baking sheet (i either use stoneware or a silpat). Spray with oil (2 seconds total). Season with salt & pepper.
    Bake for about 20 minutes, or until edges look crispy & browned.

CALORIES PER SERVING:
    The beauty of this recipe, is it has the same nutritional value as just the potatoes - this recipe would be about 60 calories per serving. The oil spray does not add additional calories per serving.

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    This serves 4. 1/2 potato per person.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
    My husband and I love these fries. Very simple, but oh so good. Easy to pair with any meat or fish.
    Sometimes I like to vary the spices used, but even doing that won't change the nutritional content, so you can have lots of fun with different flavors.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweet potatoes and I LOVE to grill, so I try to do my sweet potatoes on the grill any time the weather cooperates.

NAME OF RECIPE: Grilled Sweet Potatoes
    INGREDIENTS: 1Large Sweet Potato cut into cubes
    1/2 medium yellow onion (sliced)
    salt (or salt substitute)
    fresh ground pepper
    EVOO (or cooking spray)
    DIRECTIONS: In a bowl, toss potatoes and onions lightly in EVOO (or cooking spray)
    Place potatoes and onions on a sheet of aluminum foil (I prefer using the Heavy Duty foil when grilling)
    Season potatoes as desired with salt and pepper
    Create a pouch from the foil
    Place pouch either on top rack of grill or on lower rack with indirect heat for about 25 minutes

CALORIES PER SERVING: under 100
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2 (1/2 potato each)
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I LOVE sweet potatoes roasted this way! The great thing is you can play with the seasoning. If you like a more buttery taste, use a couple spritzes or I Can't Believe It's not Butter spray. Like more spice? Sprinkle with a little cayenne pepper. Another seasoning option is Goya Adobo seasoning (but there is a lot of sodium in it). Although I have never tried it, lemon pepper may do well with this also.
    PICTURE (optional): Probably no pic as I won't actually be making these this week : (
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Love sweet potatoes - great thread! Bump!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Here's the picture :)

116hyjc.jpg

OK - that's really weird. I just hosted it somewhere else.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Haha thanks :) IDK if it's a Photobucket problem (the image worked everywhere else, but that was with html codes, not forum codes) or a MFP problem (y u haet me?):grumble:

They look sorta like eggs (tamoyaki?) in that photo XD
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    bump!
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    How about whipped sweet potatoes with cranberries? Mmmmmm....
    Boil and mash peeled and diced sweet potatoes, whip them with just a little light butter or margarine, and add boiled cranberries. If you can't find fresh cranberries to boil, you can usually find the Ocean Spray Craisins in the dried fruit aisle. Just boil them for a couple of minutes to re-hydrate them and mix them into the sweet potatoes. Delicious!