New to gym, what exercise to start with?

I need to lose about 20-25 lbs. I love group classes and I do want to join some of those, but I also want to work on my legs and butt and arms.
What machines can I start with, that will help me lose weight and tone my bod?

Thank you!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    calorie deficit for fat loss.

For muscle gainzzzzzz:
    Starting strength
    Strong lifts
    New Rules of LIfting
    Strong curves
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    BUMP
  • XxQueenMxX
    bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    this machine

tumblr_mk4bxg2SqE1rolwo1o1_400.gif

and this machine too

tumblr_lt4dgt3XFX1r4297lo1_400.gif
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Depending on your metabolism and existing muscle mass, you should include between 20 and 45 minutes of cardio. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as you are sweating.

Lifting like what DevPul is suggesting is absolutely beneficial but it is advanced. Start out on the standard machines just to get used to working out. Move onto pulleys and dumbbells. If you want to do the lifting in the gifs posted, then I would suggest taking at least an introductory class on it,
  • DavPul
    Depending on your metabolism and existing muscle mass, you should include between 20 and 45 minutes of cardio. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as you are sweating.

Lifting like what DevPul is suggesting is absolutely beneficial but it is advanced. Start out on the standard machines just to get used to working out. Move onto pulleys and dumbbells. If you want to do the lifting in the gifs posted, then I would suggest taking at least an introductory class on it,

mqr9q4T.gif

these are basic lifts that everyone should learn from Day 1
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    calorie deficit for fat loss.

For muscle gainzzzzzz:
    Starting strength
    Strong lifts
    New Rules of LIfting
    Strong curves

This... ^
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Squats and dead lifts are not advanced. Watch some YouTube videos on both, start with just the bar until you get the form right and then add weight each time.

You might look at strong lifts 5x5. There's a great app for it on iPhones that makes keeping track of your progress and knowing what to add on very simple. If you're intimidated, schedule a personal training session. When I was starting out, I just went up to the desk and asked someone to show me how to set up the squat rack. He was nice enough to do that and help me with my form---all for free.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

These lifts are not advanced, they are the most basic and should be the first lifts learned by any gym-goer.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Squats and dead lifts are not advanced. Watch some YouTube videos on both, start with just the bar until you get the form right and then add weight each time.

You might look at strong lifts 5x5. There's a great app for it on iPhones that makes keeping track of your progress and knowing what to add on very simple. If you're intimidated, schedule a personal training session. When I was starting out, I just went up to the desk and asked someone to show me how to set up the squat rack. He was nice enough to do that and help me with my form---all for free.

I was just about to type this. Those moves are not "advanced". In my opinion, you'll be better off skipping the machines and just use free weights. Machines force a slightly unnatural movement and don't challenge all the muscles that a good ol' barbell does, especially your core.
  • MagdaSea

I was just about to type this. Those moves are not "advanced". In my opinion, you'll be better off skipping the machines and just use free weights. Machines force a slightly unnatural movement and don't challenge all the muscles that a good ol' barbell does, especially your core.

To be fair, I may have used the wrong word. I didn't mean advanced as in hard or difficult. I meant intimidating. A lot of people who don't go to the gym a lot tend to get put off by even the free physical assessment which most memberships will offer when you first join up. My advice was geared towards getting a certain comfort level.
  • JoRocka

To be fair, I may have used the wrong word. I didn't mean advanced as in hard or difficult. I meant intimidating. A lot of people who don't go to the gym a lot tend to get put off by even the free physical assessment which most memberships will offer when you first join up. My advice was geared towards getting a certain comfort level.

well - for what it's worth- staying comfortable doesn't make you grow. Staying comfortable keeps you fat happy and with cookie crumbs on your chest.

You gotta get out of your comfort zone in order to grow.

Nature- science- physics demands a violent catalyst in order to see substantial change in a system.

You must supply the catalyst.

push grow- nothing gained from nothing ventured and all that jazz.
  • DavPul

best way to get comfortable at a thing is by doing that thing. avoiding that thing tends to build up anxiety to a point where you put off doing that thing even longer. if there's a thing that everyone else can do and it will help you accomplish your goals quickly and more effectively, you gonna want to do that thing sooner rather than later
  • MagdaSea

best way to get comfortable at a thing is by doing that thing. avoiding that thing tends to build up anxiety to a point where you put off doing that thing even longer. if there's a thing that everyone else can do and it will help you accomplish your goals quickly and more effectively, you gonna want to do that thing sooner rather than later

Putting it off will build up anxiety, yes. But so can being forced or pushing yourself into doing something you're not ready for. Everyone is different. If I had to go from never being in a gym to crossfit lifting, I'd probably decide that the gym is just not for me.

I took crossfit classes, a police prep test and want to pick up a muay thai class all because I never thought I'd be capable of completing the classes or being successful while doing the workouts. Pushing yourself absolutely makes you grow and it's what gets you fit. All I'm saying is that those gifs posted can look intense and advanced to people who don't realize that a lot of it is technique. Not everyone is the same and while getting into shape is about pushing your own limits, not every person can be pushed the same way.

That's all I'm saying. So calm your tits.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I need to lose about 20-25 lbs. I love group classes and I do want to join some of those, but I also want to work on my legs and butt and arms.
    What machines can I start with, that will help me lose weight and tone my bod?

Thank you!

JoRocka gave u the best answer.

I strongly encourage u to take up free weights.
  • JoRocka
    That's all I'm saying. So calm your tits.

no one is agitated but you it seems.

Reality is at some point you have to do something you want to do but aren't comfortable doing. Period. Getting in shape is about pushing your body- which is uncomfortable. plain and simple.
  • DavPul
    *checks own tits*
  • XxQueenMxX
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

I've seriously spent all morning, looking at strength training workouts for beginners. You are all right, I am realizing the weight training is the best way to go. But like some of you have mentioned, it is EXTREMELY intimidating! I only have time to go in the evenings and it's pretty packed. But like you said, I'll just have to push my self and do it. I guess my biggest fear is not knowing what the heck to do. I really want to get in to a routine and scheduled. I found one online I can do the workouts (with dumbbells and barbells) twice a week or 4 x/week. I'm going to start with 2/week. But first I am going to schedule a free session with a trainer.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I love push ups, lunges (multiple types), burpees, plank.

I also use dumbbells and barbells, but if it's crowded - don't wait around.. do something - all of the above can be done using your own body weight.

Good luck. Remember - everyone had a first day in the weight room.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

I've seriously spent all morning, looking at strength training workouts for beginners. You are all right, I am realizing the weight training is the best way to go. But like some of you have mentioned, it is EXTREMELY intimidating! I only have time to go in the evenings and it's pretty packed. But like you said, I'll just have to push my self and do it. I guess my biggest fear is not knowing what the heck to do. I really want to get in to a routine and scheduled. I found one online I can do the workouts (with dumbbells and barbells) twice a week or 4 x/week. I'm going to start with 2/week. But first I am going to schedule a free session with a trainer.

Good Luck

I would youtube some videos on the exercises so you know the correct form.
    Then start off with light weight til you get the form down.....don't want to hurt yourself.