curvy vs slim... Finding a balance

Options
Hi!!

I am a member of MFP for about 9 weeks. I have lost 24lbs in that time.
I have always been curvy and love my curves... I never seemed really overweight because I dressed to celebrate my curves and have always been active so I've never been percieved that way!!
So I was out over the weekend at a friends hen ( hence the bollywood profile pic!!!) and a few well meaning friends commented that I looked great and that I should stay at my current weight. I have just reached a normal bmi (although at the top end!) my Hubby had also commented that my curves have decreased and not to go too far!!!
I can see my body shape changing and I'm aware that further significant weight loss will mean my "boobs and bum" will be one of the first areas to suffer.. Boo hoo!!!
I want to tone up all over but not really have more significant weight loss.
I have been doing alot of cardio, mixed with Light weights, should I reduce that and keep to toning to tighten but not lose weight, should I move to maintenance cals???
I'm kinda at a cross roads now and want to do the right thing...
Any advice appreciated!!!

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you've never been at a lower weight, you don't really know what your body will do.

I have an hourglass figure, so no matter my weight, I have curves. I have a friend who lost a lot of weight, looks fabulous, but still has a butt.

I think you need to do what makes YOU happy. You can build up your chest wall muscles and tone your rear, but you can't control where the fat will stay and where it will go.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss! :drinker: As far as the question should you lose more weight....That's up to you,how do you feel,whats your expections,& take all comments from others with a grain of salt. Nice to get others perspective but they don't walk in your shoes. Do whats best for you.....Good luck with your decision!:wink:
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!!

That's kinda my dilemma, my boobs in particular have got smaller and I have a little excess on my belly... That's where I hold weight so no point in losing my chest in persuit of a flat belly... I just need to keep toning there... I know I can't spot reduce
    fat.
    Just not sure if I should move cals up, less cardio, more weight training etc!!
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss! :drinker: As far as the question should you lose more weight....That's up to you,how do you feel,whats your expections,& take all comments from others with a grain of salt. Nice to get others perspective but they don't walk in your shoes. Do whats best for you.....Good luck with your decision!:wink:

I always do my own thing!!! Just looking for advice
    on the next step!!! I'm actually happy with my progress... I feel great and I'm in a uk 10, us 8... I have no desire to
    be a size zero or even a size 4!!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    boobs and butt are not always the first to go. I am still a DD and well I still got back. Each person is different on how they lose weight. I am actually losing the most from my thighs, hips and lower abs while my butt and boobs might have gone down some they are making up for it in perkiness.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    If I were you (which would be hard, 'cause I'm a guy :D ), I would go to maintenance calories, less cardio and up my strength training a bit. I'd try it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Or you could do something completely different. The key I think, is to test whatever you end up doing for 2 or 3 weeks then see where you are at and what is happening, then adjust as needed.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    boobs and butt are not always the first to go. I am still a DD and well I still got back. Each person is different on how they lose weight. I am actually losing the most from my thighs, hips and lower abs while my butt and boobs might have gone down some they are making up for it in perkiness.

my loss is def affecting my shape, "back" is ok!! Wanna fit into clothes well... That for me is filling them!!! Hubby would not be impressed if I lost the shape he fell in love with!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

my loss is def affecting my shape, "back" is ok!! Wanna fit into clothes well... That for me is filling them!!! Hubby would not be impressed if I lost the shape he fell in love with!!

Honey, he fell in love with the person, not the shape. Do what makes YOU happy and makes you the healthiest you can be. Anyone who loved you before will love you just as much afterwards, and possibly even MORE afterwards for seeing your dedication to your health.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    If I were you (which would be hard, 'cause I'm a guy :D ), I would go to maintenance calories, less cardio and up my strength training a bit. I'd try it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Or you could do something completely different. The key I think, is to test whatever you end up doing for 2 or 3 weeks then see where you are at and what is happening, then adjust as needed.

thanks chris!!

I'm looking for that kind of advice, I'm happy with where I am but want to stay fit and healthy and am looking for the right way to achieve that!!!
    I think I'll try more strength and less cardio first for a week, then up cals gradually...
    Thanks!!!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Curves come from your hip/ chest/ waist measurments... some people (like me:() dont have much of a difference b/t my chest and hip measurements, and with my bone structure, I never will... so I have accepted I will be shaped straight forever lol... but you may have have hips and you will keep those even if you lose more.. your chest however... i guess you will have to decided and perhaps find out!
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As a man I love curves. Unfortunately, what is healthiest is not always the most attractive. When I get my body fat down to 18% most people think I look gaunt and skinny, but I feel great at that level.

You might want to consider lowering your body fat to a safer level. You are at the high end of what is considered healthy so that gives you no buffer if life gets in the way of working out and dieting. Age can also contribute to weight gain so if you don't watch out it can creep past that butter zone you like.

If you feel confident you can maintain the level you are at now, then by all means increase your calorie intake. No offense to anyone, but I would never recommend less cardio. There is more to staying fit than just looking good and cardio has benefits beyond helping you stay slim.

Strength training will help you maintain your curves even if you lose more fat.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options

Honey, he fell in love with the person, not the shape. Do what makes YOU happy and makes you the healthiest you can be. Anyone who loved you before will love you just as much afterwards, and possibly even MORE afterwards for seeing your dedication to your health.

Perhaps I'm coming across wrong... I'm happy out!! Just want to stay where I am but tone up instead of losing weight!!! Lol!!!
  • Nelneusa
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss. I have been trying to lose 8lb for the past 2 months and its proving very difficult, I dont know what I am doing wrong. The only advantage in having gained the 8lb is the butt which the husband absolutely loves. Hope I could lose the weight without the boobs and butt being affected. Try some soft weights to tone the bone, and abs to firm the stomach. It will further enhance your curviness without you having to lose an excessive amount of weight.
    Give me the recipe for the weight loss.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    As a man I love curves. Unfortunately, what is healthiest is not always the most attractive. When I get my body fat down to 18% most people think I look gaunt and skinny, but I feel great at that level.

You might want to consider lowering your body fat to a safer level. You are at the high end of what is considered healthy so that gives you no buffer if life gets in the way of working out and dieting. Age can also contribute to weight gain so if you don't watch out it can creep past that butter zone you like.

If you feel confident you can maintain the level you are at now, then by all means increase your calorie intake. No offense to anyone, but I would never recommend less cardio. There is more to staying fit than just looking good and cardio has benefits beyond helping you stay slim.

Strength training will help you maintain your curves even if you lose more fat.

I LOVE cardio so no problem to me to keep it up!!! A buffer is a good idea though!! Maybe I'll increase strenght, keep cardio (maybe alternate days?) and increase cals!!! It's trial and error I guess!!! Thanks!!!
  • IngeS18
    IngeS18 Posts: 36
    Options
    My advise: stick to just the toning. if you are happy with your weight at the moment, then try to take the right amount of calories and don;t do too much cardio (it's meant to burn fat).
    Instead do some weight training specifically geared towards a certain part of your body, for instance your abs.
    You could still try to lose some weight/bodyfat but as the other guys here said, you can never be sure what will happen to your figure as you have never lost this much weight before.

So either play safe and do some toning. Or take the chance and continue dieting.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss. I have been trying to lose 8lb for the past 2 months and its proving very difficult, I dont know what I am doing wrong. The only advantage in having gained the 8lb is the butt which the husband absolutely loves. Hope I could lose the weight without the boobs and butt being affected. Try some soft weights to tone the bone, and abs to firm the stomach. It will further enhance your curviness without you having to lose an excessive amount of weight.
    Give me the recipe for the weight loss.

Haha!! No recipe, I lost every week (except one) and loads of exercise!!! 5 days a week... And mostly cardio. I'll friend you and help you any way I can x
  • CristalBelle
    Options
    I love how everyone is looking at whether or not you should lose more weight, instead of what you asked.

Yes, up your calories, but not by much, try starting out by adding only 250 a day and then change it if you need to. Lower your cardio, and continue with the weight lifting. Unless you have a high level of testosterone, you can lift higher weights without getting "bulky" and the increased muscle mass will not only be a health benefit, but almost everyone can agree that someone with nice muscle tone looks good too!

Hope that helps!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My advise: stick to just the toning. if you are happy with your weight at the moment, then try to take the right amount of calories and don;t do too much cardio (it's meant to burn fat).
    Instead do some weight training specifically geared towards a certain part of your body, for instance your abs.
    You could still try to lose some weight/bodyfat but as the other guys here said, you can never be sure what will happen to your figure as you have never lost this much weight before.

So either play safe and do some toning. Or take the chance and continue dieting.

DO NOT stop cardio. Yes, it burns fat but it also keeps your heart strong (it's called cardio because of how it affects the cardio vascular system). You should be at least doing 30 minutes of moderate cardio, 4-5 days a week for your HEALTH. Maybe eat a little more if you don't want to keep losing, but don't stop cardio.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options

thanks!!! Looks like I'll just have to use trial and error!!
  • LauraAkaTigger
    Options

thanks!!! Looks like I'll just have to use trial and error!!