3 weeks dieting and not a lb lost - check my diary?

Options

Replies

• yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Tagging out of curiosity...
  • zekerella
    zekerella Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I get my calories burn from research on athletes. My run is calculated by distance. Runners world did an article on studies on runners and what they actually burn. They find that runners burn anywhere form 80-120 calories a mile. To be safe I say I burn 80 calories a mile.

My bike is based on my Garmin HR monitor.

The swim is just based on research online for what swimmers burn then to be safe I subtract 150 calories from that.
  • zekerella
    Options
    Where are you getting those calorie burns from? They seem a bit high to me, considering you are a smaller person. Also, you've been eating over your calorie limit by quite a bit. Those two things can kill a deficit.

Finally, isn't 16% body too low for a female?

oh and 16% body fat is on the higher end for triathlete females (serious triathletes…professional and world champion ect..) typically they are anywhere form 12-17%
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I get my calories burn from research on athletes. My run is calculated by distance. Runners world did an article on studies on runners and what they actually burn. They find that runners burn anywhere form 80-120 calories a mile. To be safe I say I burn 80 calories a mile.

My bike is based on my Garmin HR monitor.

The swim is just based on research online for what swimmers burn then to be safe I subtract 150 calories from that.

Okay.

Your numbers are wrong because if they were correct you would have lost a little weight. So, now you need to figure out where you are miscalculation. You are eating over your calorie goal too.

If you're convinced all your numbers are correct, then your next step is a doctor's visit to have your thyroid checked.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Also just FYI on the carb thing. my breakfast is large to sustain my long morning workouts and break my fast, same with my second snack. Also triathletes are suggested through studies to eat a diet of 60% carbs.

Which is fine (my dad is a triathlete and marathoner) but some carbs are better then others. If you're complaining of hunger, whole foods that are lower in total calories are a better choice. You will still get carbs, but feel more satiated. If you are going to go for a quick meal replacement option, look for items that are also high in fiber. My protein shake includes 8 grams of fiber (and 25 grams protein). I throw in 3-4 frozen strawberries which only adds about 50 calories and 3 more grams of fiber and blend. For 250 calories I'm full for at least four hours post workout. You're going to get a lot more bang for your buck over peanut butter.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Not losing?

Check your hormones (thyroid for example).

If that is not it, then you are not in a deficit. Period. The end. This can be due to underestimating food intake or over estimating exercise. Or simply being over repeatedly as some have noted you've been here and there.

If you are seriously looking for advice, you should refrain from arguing with everyone here about how they are wrong.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Not losing?

Check your hormones (thyroid for example).

If that is not it, then you are not in a deficit. Period. The end. This can be due to underestimating food intake or over estimating exercise. Or simply being over repeatedly as some have noted you've been here and there.

If you are seriously looking for advice, you should refrain from arguing with everyone here about how they are wrong.

+1
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not eating enough calories? I am not training, however I hit a severe plateau when I first started out. I was eating around 1900 calories a day and not losing a dang thing. After two months of this my doctor sent me in for a MedGem which tests your resting metabolic rate. It turned out that just to lay in bed and be alive would take me a little over 2000 calories. Add in walking to classes, walking home, water aerobics and normal life and I was needing around 3000 calories if I wanted to maintain. My dietician bumped me up to 2100 calories a day and since then I have steadily been losing weight.

^^This^^
    Also at this level, the types of food as many people mentioned can make an impact.
    Good Luck!
  • zekerella
    Options
    ok. I am very convinced that my numbers on exercise are right or under what I am actually burning.

I think what Ill try (as per some great suggestions!) is to be SPOT ON with my calories this week. Ill eat exactly 1300-1550 everyday and will weigh my bananas/ect… Ill also cut out 1 tbs of nut butters. (I wanna cry at the thought of NO peanut butter haha) and Ill replace my post workout meals with whole foods. Although I'm not sure where to get the protein….I can eat berries for carbs but protein is a mystery to me as I can't handle protein powders as I am intolerant to artificial sweeteners (including stevia). I guess I can each a chicken breast lol although that sounds gross.

Ill see where that takes me. Anyone who is also curious/tagging this - message me sometime next week and Ill let you know how it went.

I don't feel safe cutting out more calories (as I got my metabolism tested a year ago and I burn 1950 calories a day at rest. So I know that my maintenance is anywhere from 1950-2250 without exercise. I also do not feel safe cutting out more carbs as I know that as a triathlete I should actually be eating 60% to maintain my high level/high intensity workouts. But I can look at where I am getting my carbs from….Ill replace with sweet potatoes/brown rice/whole grain bread this week and see how that goes.
  • zekerella
    Options
    I am not trying to argue or prove them wrong. I am just adding more information as not everyone can get the whole picture from just a food diary/not the same athletic background as that changes things and can make some suggestions actually wrong. I am weeding out the suggestions I know are incorrect and finding the ones that I think might be spot on or something I didn't think about before.
  • zekerella
    Options
    Maybe you're not eating enough calories? I am not training, however I hit a severe plateau when I first started out. I was eating around 1900 calories a day and not losing a dang thing. After two months of this my doctor sent me in for a MedGem which tests your resting metabolic rate. It turned out that just to lay in bed and be alive would take me a little over 2000 calories. Add in walking to classes, walking home, water aerobics and normal life and I was needing around 3000 calories if I wanted to maintain. My dietician bumped me up to 2100 calories a day and since then I have steadily been losing weight.

^^This^^
    Also at this level, the types of food as many people mentioned can make an impact.
    Good Luck!

Wow I didn't think of that. Maybe I should get my metabolism re-tested. interesting!
  • embrace_the_darkside
    Options
    Focus less on "weight" as a metric for success. As an athlete, its likely that you have an immense amount of muscle which is denser than fat. Your weight (and BMI) would misleadingly tell you that you're less fit than you are.

I'd suggest trying to get a pair of calipers or access to a semi-decent body fat measurement place and use those to track your progress over a scale
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You are a training athlete... so you need the calories and your diary looks great. What I will tell you is that I am doing a self imposed 100 day challenge and I during it I am cutting back on my nut and peanut butter consumption, since one of my friends suggested it. Trying to get that protein from other things like lean meats etc. Perhaps that is something you could try.

I wont lie.. 2 weeks in and I do miss my peanut butter. ;)

I signed up with MFP 3 wks ago, a few days into it I had PB toast and was shocked at how much 1 TBSP was and I haven't had any since....and I miss it :sad:
  • zekerella
    Options
    Focus less on "weight" as a metric for success. As an athlete, its likely that you have an immense amount of muscle which is denser than fat. Your weight (and BMI) would misleadingly tell you that you're less fit than you are.

I'd suggest trying to get a pair of calipers or access to a semi-decent body fat measurement place and use those to track your progress over a scale

are calipers easy to use? Ive never used/seen them
  • FireOpalCO
    Options
    I would also suggest tracking your water. With as much as you exercise, you may need way more then 8 glasses a day. Making sure your body has enough water to flush it self out, might help. (To be really personal, if your pee isn't close to clear, you need more water.)

I understand about artificial sweeteners as well, some of them give me migraines.

How do you feel about turkey sausage? 3 links has 100 calories and 12 g of protein. Greek yogurt can also be a good source of protein. Both would pair well with fruit or veggies. Also, don't overlook the value of a baked potato (with skin). It might be around 300 calories, but with the other half of your plate being a green veggie, you would probably be at 400 calories with a very filling meal. (That assumes going very light on toppings: one pat of butter, a smidge of steak sauce, etc.) That potato will give you 7g of protein, 18% of your iron, and 7g of fiber.

Edit because I forgot hummus! Hummus and veggie or fruit slices makes an excellent small meal.
  • embrace_the_darkside
    Options

are calipers easy to use? Ive never used/seen them

They are fairly easy... the best thing to do is to have a friend do them for you or go to a personal trainer who has experience using them to measure BF%.
  • embrace_the_darkside
    Options
    Seriously, though... forget tracking by kgs/lbs. If anything, it will do more harm to your training than anything else.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Here are 10 terrific sources of lean protein:

1. Fish

2. Seafood

3. Skinless, white-meat poultry

4. Lean beef (including tenderloin, sirloin, eye of round)

5. Skim or low-fat milk

6. Skim or low-fat yogurt

7. Fat-free or low-fat cheese

8. Eggs

9. Lean pork (tenderloin)

10. Beans
  • FireOpalCO
    Options
    Another quick source of protein that I just remembered. Costco sells sleeves of frozen turkey burgers for a reasonable price. 200 calories in one, 35 grams of protein. I quite often have one of those (grilled) with a smear of Dijon on a sandwich thin plus a veggie side (steamed corn, green beans, or broccoli). Total meal lands me under 400 calories.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary over the last 3 or 4 days I don't think its the fact you go over occasionally and are under at other times, I think it is down to your calorie estimations being wrong

There are a lot of entries showing measurements in cups, tbsp, 1 serving, 1.67 slices, you need to weigh solids and measure liquids.

Are you also using the correct brands or are you choosing entries that look similar?

This in my opinion is the biggest cause of calorie counting inaccuracies on this site

Try weighing foods raw and uncooked and if using fresh ingredients try to use the official MFP entries (the ones without the *)