Jogging...

Options
Mireille
Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
I'm so excited because I ran 6 miles today with the kids in the stroller this morning (90lbs including 2 kids and stroller). There were a ton of hills and it was awesome. I burnt 560cals in exactly 60 minutes!!
The kids are being so good, they came out of the stroller saying how much fun they had. I know I'm running a little faster than last year but I guess it's making a difference to them.

Anybody else get a good run in today?

Replies

• Mireille
    Options
    I'm so excited because I ran 6 miles today with the kids in the stroller this morning (90lbs including 2 kids and stroller). There were a ton of hills and it was awesome. I burnt 560cals in exactly 60 minutes!!
    The kids are being so good, they came out of the stroller saying how much fun they had. I know I'm running a little faster than last year but I guess it's making a difference to them.

Anybody else get a good run in today?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Dang sistah, good job!!! :drinker:

I can usually only get a long jog in during the weekend. But hope to go for a few miles tonight! :smile:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    i am going for my long run this afternoon - practice run for the 5K course that I am doing this weekend
  • celeste15
    celeste15 Posts: 51
    Options
    Daaaang!! Superwoman for sure! lol. I have just now been able to reach a 3 mile run and it takes me about 28 minutes so I've got a long way to go.

Great job!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    you go girl!!!!

I'm a jogger pusher too LOL....my son is my coach....he's my Mickey and I'm his Rocky....com'on!!! you can doooo it! lets go! especially up the hills....LOL...he's about 50 lbs....

I used to be able to do the 6, working my way back up there....about 3 now is my max but that is very impressive girl!!! clapping and wooting in your honor!!!:drinker:

hugs,
    Ali
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    About to go right now!
  • Mireille
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
    I think I'm starting to get obsessed with running. I feel unbelievable while running and I feel fantastic after. Without those extra 20lbs, my knees aren't hurting at all! Big ups for me!!
    I'm in the process of trying to convince my neighbors to run with me at 5:30am. I'm not having much success. lol

Ali106, I know the kids can be so motivating at times. They literally yell at me if I slow down. lol

Celeste15, you'll be at 10 miles before you know it. That's what I love about running, you improve so quickly every time you hit the pavement or the treadmill.

Banks, pmkelly and Shannon, have fun on your runs!!

Enjoy the rest of the day!
  • ali106
    Options
    Girl you inspired me today....lol my son came down w/ a fever after school poor baby...I was gonna take him out for a jog, but my mother inlaw who rocks said to go and she'll stay w/ him...he's fine now...God bless tylenol!!! ANYWAY I ran 3.5 miles w/ killer hills sans child and jogger in 29 mins!!! I was shocked I've been doing about 10 min miles lately so woo hoo!!

thanks for making me think about it! I love to get up at 5:30am and run, wish we were closer I'd come with! lol
    hugs,
    Ali
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
    I think I'm starting to get obsessed with running. I feel unbelievable while running and I feel fantastic after. Without those extra 20lbs, my knees aren't hurting at all! Big ups for me!!
    I'm in the process of trying to convince my neighbors to run with me at 5:30am. I'm not having much success. lol

Ali106, I know the kids can be so motivating at times. They literally yell at me if I slow down. lol

Celeste15, you'll be at 10 miles before you know it. That's what I love about running, you improve so quickly every time you hit the pavement or the treadmill.

Banks, pmkelly and Shannon, have fun on your runs!!

Enjoy the rest of the day!

I did my 5K!! :drinker: in great time - my lungs were not as strong as my body, but I had to keep reminding myself that the pollen count was through the roof today.

How did everyone else do?
  • ali106
    Options
    yes I feel the pollen too! ugh...I've been sooo sick so this is the first time really running in two weeks...I've been doing tapes indoors and not many....so I FELT it...I feel good now but am coughing up a storm....and my nose is running...and my eyes are still itchy...I love running in the rain...it seems like I can breath better?! lol

good job pm!!! you go girl!
    hugs,
    Ali
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    yes I feel the pollen too! ugh...I've been sooo sick so this is the first time really running in two weeks...I've been doing tapes indoors and not many....so I FELT it...I feel good now but am coughing up a storm....and my nose is running...and my eyes are still itchy...I love running in the rain...it seems like I can breath better?! lol

good job pm!!! you go girl!
    hugs,
    Ali

I cannot wait for these crazy pollen days to be over!! Running in the rain, that sounds so refreshing right now!!!

We have 7 year old boys with "issues" in common, we should talk in the chat room about our experiences one day.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I try to run everyday. I love the New Balance commercial that talks about running and how it's a love/hate relationship. That's me, I hate the ritual of preparing myself to run, yet once I get out there I'm good, then half way thru I hate it want it to be over with, then I'm loving it thinking I've already done over 2 miles what's a couple more. Then I'm done and so glad and on the days I don't get to run I'm crabby as heck. :laugh:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    What do all you runners do pre-run? Food, stretching, rituals, etc. Be specific!!
  • mkeithley
    Options
    What do all you runners do pre-run? Food, stretching, rituals, etc. Be specific!!
    I run first thing in the morning, so I don't eat breakfast until I'm finished. I have found if I eat before I run I get side stitches-BAD. I drink some H2O when I first wake up, then I get the kids ready for school, etc. I find this gives me enough time to get hydrated w/out sloshing around all over the place.
    On days I weight train I do my weights before I run. On just running days I stretch for a good 5 minutes(hams, calves arms, everything). The only rituals i have is making sure my hair will not be in my face-One scrunchee, one headband and 2 barettes just to make sure and of course the IPOD.
  • Mireille
    Options

Great job everyone!

I normally jog in the mornings too and I'll eat a banana about 1 hour before my run. If I eat anymore than that I feel heavy and off. I also try to drink some water before running. But that sometimes works against me cuz then I have to pee half way, ugh!
    When I took my running course, they told me not to stretch too much before a run because our muscles aren't warm enough and we could cause more damage than good. That was a really hard adjustment. Now, I'll start by walking for 5 minutes (basically to end of my street) and start running pretty much immediately. I do all my stretching at the end of my run.
    I always bring a water bottle with me, sometimes I drink, sometimes I don't. Also, I always plan ahead how far I'm going to run or lately how many calories I want to burn. lol
    :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options

Great job everyone!

I normally jog in the mornings too and I'll eat a banana about 1 hour before my run. If I eat anymore than that I feel heavy and off. I also try to drink some water before running. But that sometimes works against me cuz then I have to pee half way, ugh!
    When I took my running course, they told me not to stretch too much before a run because our muscles aren't warm enough and we could cause more damage than good. That was a really hard adjustment. Now, I'll start by walking for 5 minutes (basically to end of my street) and start running pretty much immediately. I do all my stretching at the end of my run.
    I always bring a water bottle with me, sometimes I drink, sometimes I don't. Also, I always plan ahead how far I'm going to run or lately how many calories I want to burn. lol

Do you run every day too? I don't think my knees would forgive me. :tongue: I find that if I wait a couple days in-between runs then I run stronger. :smile:
  • Mireille
    Options

Great job everyone!

Do you run every day too? I don't think my knees would forgive me. :tongue: I find that if I wait a couple days in-between runs then I run stronger. :smile:

No, I don't run everyday, although some weeks I would love to. I try to get in at least 3 runs a week (one of those being by myself with no children). :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've never been a jogger - what's a good way to get started if I were to want to try it?
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I've never been a jogger - what's a good way to get started if I were to want to try it?

First, get good running shoes. :smile:

And I know there's a program where you run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, etc..but I don't know what that program is called. :tongue:

Once you get into it, it's addicting as heck! Good luck!!! :drinker:
  • mkeithley
    Options
    Whrn I started running again after a very long absence, a decade plus:tongue: , I would run for 2 minutes and walk for 2 minutes on a treadmill or if I wanted to be outside i went to thetrack at the high school near my house(I drove there:happy: ) and I'd run the straight parts and walk the curves for at least 30 minutes. Doing it this way also is a form of High Intensity Interval training, it keeps your heart rate up while allwing you to recover, keeping the heart rate up is best for burning more calories:smile:

One bad mistake I made was not having good shoes, I used running shoes but they were at least a year old and the support had broke down causing too much stress on my knee which resulted in xrays and ultimately a cortisone shot in my knee:sad: So I would absolutely recommend you go out and get a new decent pair of running shoes. My first pair were inexspensive Nike's at Shoe Carnival, then I bit the bullet and bought some moderately priced Asics and i replace those every 3-4 months b/c I run almost every day.