Jogging...

Options
2»

Replies

• Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you Shannon & mkeithley!

I think I'll give it a try this weekend. I kinda like starting out on a track at first (a little bit more controlled). Thanks again :happy:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I've never been a jogger - what's a good way to get started if I were to want to try it?

A few years back I joined the running room's "learn to run" program. They taught us to start off slow. The first couple of weeks we ran 1 and 1's which means you run for a minute and then walk for a minute. You repeat this until you've reach 20 minutes (including the walking). We did this 3 times a week for 2 weeks. After that we started increasing our runs by one minute each week (walking always stayed at 1 minute). By the end of the 12 week program, we were doing 2 sets of the 10 minutes run and walking for 1.
    They suggested that beginners should not run more than 3 times a week.

It was a great way to start and maybe you'll end up loving running like us!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the information on this post! I too have NEVER been a runner (I love to walk - expecially outside) and have always wanted to find the inspiration to jog. I carry most of my weight in my lower body therefore I am very self-concious about my "thick" legs. I have always envyed women with beautiful legs... specifically runners! Maybe I will try to get into it.

Any additional advice??? :smile:
  • Mireille
    Options
    Thank you for all the information on this post! I too have NEVER been a runner (I love to walk - expecially outside) and have always wanted to find the inspiration to jog. I carry most of my weight in my lower body therefore I am very self-concious about my "thick" legs. I have always envyed women with beautiful legs... specifically runners! Maybe I will try to get into it.

You son is so beautiful!! :flowerforyou:
    As Shannon said, a good pair of running shoes are most important. You don't realize it until you have really good pair on. I had mine fitted at the running room and what a difference.
    As you start running, you'll get to know what your body likes and dislikes. Like if you function better with or without food before your run, the time of day you prefer to run (I love early mornings) and basic things like running gear. When I first started running they convinced me to buy all the dry-fit clothes (which are really expensive by the way). I've come to realize that I personally don't find a huge difference between a dry-fit tank top or a regular one. So, now I just wear regular work out clothes and save lots money. lol
    Last year I used to get this annoying pain in my ankle. It would go away while running but was always there to start. This year, thankfully I don't have the pain which is probably due to the fact that I've lost 20lbs!! lol My knees are thanking me too.
    I know what you mean about beautiful legs. My legs have always been thick too and I've always dreamed of having these beautiful, strong legs. I'm going to keep trying!!

By the way, I'm really happy because I finally got some friends on my profile!! lol I know, I'm a nerd. :bigsmile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

You son is so beautiful!! :flowerforyou:
    As Shannon said, a good pair of running shoes are most important. You don't realize it until you have really good pair on. I had mine fitted at the running room and what a difference.
    As you start running, you'll get to know what your body likes and dislikes. Like if you function better with or without food before your run, the time of day you prefer to run (I love early mornings) and basic things like running gear. When I first started running they convinced me to buy all the dry-fit clothes (which are really expensive by the way). I've come to realize that I personally don't find a huge difference between a dry-fit tank top or a regular one. So, now I just wear regular work out clothes and save lots money. lol
    Last year I used to get this annoying pain in my ankle. It would go away while running but was always there to start. This year, thankfully I don't have the pain which is probably due to the fact that I've lost 20lbs!! lol My knees are thanking me too.
    I know what you mean about beautiful legs. My legs have always been thick too and I've always dreamed of having these beautiful, strong legs. I'm going to keep trying!!

By the way, I'm really happy because I finally got some friends on my profile!! lol I know, I'm a nerd. :bigsmile:

lol - you goof! :laugh:

Another thing, make sure you invest in a REALLY good sports bra too. You don't want to be tucking your girls into your waistband in 6 months. :embarassed:

And until you develop good runner's legs, make sure your shorts are long enough to where your legs don't rub together. Believe me, that hurts like heck!!! :embarassed:
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Wow! I really appreciate all teh advice. I will be sure to make sure that the first two things I have are good running shoes and a good sports bra! As for the shorts... I totally understand what you mean and from my experience with walking I have invested in a few pairs of light-weight exercise capri's. :noway: Yikes on the rubbing!

O' and thanks for the compliment on my little man - I agree he's so cute and such a good little boy! Thank you!

And don't worry... I am a big nerd too! I love adding friends to my profile! Heehee! :bigsmile:
  • Mireille
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've never worn shorts while working out and I never even thought about mentioning it. I actually wear 2 sports bra's when exercising. My girls are everywhere if I don't. lol

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    5.5 miles in...and my shoe of choices is Always Nike shocks!

zen
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Thank so much! I do have a really good sports bra but I will always look for a reason to go shopping!!! I do need to new pair of tennis shoes. I have kind of wide feet so I have always hated tennis shoe shopping b/c I always have to get what I consider the "ugly" shoes! Hahahaha! :laugh:

I have been exercising on the treadmill we have in our basement in the mornings - usually I walk at about 4.2 MPH for 20-30 mintues. Then do abs, arms, or legs depending on the day. Maybe I could start off by jogging for 5 minutes in the middle of my walk and then work my way up??? :indifferent:

I will keep you guys posted! Thanks again for all the advice! One more thing... Do you all where a HRM when you run???
  • Mireille
    Options
    Thank so much! I do have a really good sports bra but I will always look for a reason to go shopping!!! I do need to new pair of tennis shoes. I have kind of wide feet so I have always hated tennis shoe shopping b/c I always have to get what I consider the "ugly" shoes! Hahahaha! :laugh:

I have been exercising on the treadmill we have in our basement in the mornings - usually I walk at about 4.2 MPH for 20-30 mintues. Then do abs, arms, or legs depending on the day. Maybe I could start off by jogging for 5 minutes in the middle of my walk and then work my way up??? :indifferent:

I will keep you guys posted! Thanks again for all the advice! One more thing... Do you all where a HRM when you run???

I'm addicted to my HRM. I wear it whenever I exercise and I sometimes I don't stop exercising until I hit a certain mark. Sometimes I think I have issues. lol
    By the way, my HRM doesn't bother me at all when I run. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Everyone keeps talking about the Polar 6... I looked it up and it's looks to be a good buy. I don't know much about HRMs??? Do you wear the chest strap?
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I've never been a jogger - what's a good way to get started if I were to want to try it?

First, get good running shoes. :smile:

And I know there's a program where you run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, etc..but I don't know what that program is called. :tongue:

Once you get into it, it's addicting as heck! Good luck!!! :drinker:

Also - google "beginning running" and it will pull up a bunch of great stuff plus some different schedules to help you get started - there's also a "Couch to 5K" program that people on here have talked about.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options

zen

totally w/ you on this one girl!!! lol love mine too and can't and won't go back to another!

hugs!
    Ali
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

zen

totally w/ you on this one girl!!! lol love mine too and can't and won't go back to another!

hugs!
    Ali

I'll have to check them out. I've gotten New Balance for my last few pairs & I really like them. :heart:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    See, now I wear saucony's, it's a matter of preference between saucony, and New Balance, but they just fit me better. Never did like the Nike's, they just never felt like they had enough support for me.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    First off YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hadda nice run in today. I did somewhere in between 3.5 and 4 miles before the near 80 degree heat got me(a half hour) I have to get used to the summer type weather we are having and I will be fine. I did a nice paved trail near where I work. It had some gradual grades some steep ones as well. I finished it with a jog around a horse track and back to my truck. After I got home I watched some movies and did an easy mile to return them and walked back....if only every day were that good... it feels great doesnt it?????? again good job!!!!
  • Mireille
    Options
    Thank you americanwolfdreamer! Great job on your run today! If wish we had some hot weather, feels like freaking winter again!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I love my Asics running shoes. Never one blister, really comfortable for my wide and deformed feet lol and they never let me down.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Thank you americanwolfdreamer! Great job on your run today! If wish we had some hot weather, feels like freaking winter again!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I love my Asics running shoes. Never one blister, really comfortable for my wide and deformed feet lol and they never let me down.
    My running preference is a brand called LOWA they are made in slovakia(which is better than china anyday) they are kinda pricey but I bought em off ebay. They are specifially made for trails and rouger terrain they are incredibly comfortable
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Hey girls!!!

Well, I did it!!! I included a 6 minute jog in my workout this morning on my treadmill. I know that doesn't sound like much but my heart was pumping!!! I will try to keep this up and work up to higher times.

I am sure glad I did that little jog cause I feel great! Not to mention that I needed the extra cals - my co-worker asked if I wanted to eat chinese for lunch. I agreed - not the best idea - my cals are almost all gone for the day. I have about 300 left for dinner! I guess it's popcorn and a diet soda for supper! haha!

Thanks for the inspiration for the jog!!! I will try to keep it up!

-KB :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Options
    Hey girls!!!

Well, I did it!!! I included a 6 minute jog in my workout this morning on my treadmill. I know that doesn't sound like much but my heart was pumping!!! I will try to keep this up and work up to higher times.

I am sure glad I did that little jog cause I feel great! Not to mention that I needed the extra cals - my co-worker asked if I wanted to eat chinese for lunch. I agreed - not the best idea - my cals are almost all gone for the day. I have about 300 left for dinner! I guess it's popcorn and a diet soda for supper! haha!

Thanks for the inspiration for the jog!!! I will try to keep it up!

-KB :flowerforyou:

This is so awesome!!! I'm so glad you are so pumped up. Running is very rewarding because with every extra minute you run, you get more and more motivated. Plus, you can increase the amount of minutes you run fairly quickly every week.
    Popcorn and diet soda sounds so good to me! lol

I was able to get out this morning at 5:30am by myself. I've been putting it off because I'm a big chicken to be out there alone but it wasn't bad at all. By 5:45am it was already light out and I ran around my neighborhood twice (took 54 minutes). Running is so cool!!

You rock girl!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Mireille