whey protein for women?

Options
ive been reading up on this with conflicting ideas. im wondering if whey protein is ok for women not to bulk up but to get the protein needed? or is it just a waste of calories , any opinions welcome or women who use it id like to hear if it has worked or not for you? any input appreciated!!

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about getting jacked overnight, just look for the big pink tubs - can't go wrong :)
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use whey daily to get my protein in and its fine!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Whey is just a supplement to help you hit your protein goals, whatever those may be; one's sex is completely irrelevant. If you can hit your protein goals with food then that's the way to go and there is no reason to supplement...if you can't hit your protein goals with food alone then whey is an excellent supplement.

You don't "bulk up" because you are consuming whey or any other protein source...you bulk up when you are in an energy surplus and following a weight training routine that is conducive to hypertrophy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Protein alone does not bulk you up. Protein powder is simply a form of protein, just as chicken or other sources are. It tends to be an easy way to meet your protein goal. There is nothing special over protein powder over other protein sources.
    It isn't male or female dependant either. Protein powder tends to be fairly low in calories as well.
    If you want to use it to help meet your protein goals, go for it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    When you get muscular from protein shakes, please let me know.

Women do not get "bulky" from lifting weights. No one gets "bulky" from protein. If your protein intake is low, whey protein powder is a great way to supplement that. You don't need to buy one made specifically for women. It's protein powder - it's not gender-specific.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Men and women absorb protein the same way. Bulking up is due to hormones (testosterone) in males. No need to worry about bulking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kirstenflood
    kirstenflood Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input , i just linked whey protein with body building or something maybe ignorant of me. i am struggling to hit my protein goals, so maybe this is the answer but i dont like milk , can i take it with water?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input , i just linked whey protein with body building or something maybe ignorant of me. i am struggling to hit my protein goals, so maybe this is the answer but i dont like milk , can i take it with water?

A lot of people associate it with that, but it is merely a supplement. A lot of bodybuilders use it because they tend to have high protein goals, and as mentioned, it is an easy way to help meet those goals

I always take mine with water but I tend to just chug it. How good it tastes depends on the brand. Some mix well with water, others don't. You should be able to find reviews online. Or you can make a shake with water as the base.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, mixing it with water is fine*.

*But it tastes better with milk! (At least mine does haha) Have you tried almond or soy milk? Sometimes those taste better. Also, like 3dogsrunning said, it depends on the brand you're using. I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein**

**I don't drink it often - but it is delicious! I should start blending it with ice cream... mmm that would make a delightful summer treat! :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    women and men are really not *that* different.... both need protein.... for maintaining lean mass while losing weight and for bulking the usual recommendation for protein is 1g per lb bodyweight (or at least 1g per lb lean body mass)

yes if you're struggling to get enough protein from food then definitely whey isolate protein powder will help you.

you can use it how you like... I blend it up in a smoothie with frozen fruit and laban (Arabic dairy product).... makes a good post-workout meal (the body needs protein and carbs post-workout and this is a delicious way to get that.... vanilla flavoured protein powder + frozen fruit tastes rather like ice cream.... but with better macros :drinker:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, here are the three protein powders I've tried and what I think of it.

Oh Yeah! in Vanilla Cream - Yuck! So thick and odd-tasting, and it's really hard to mix. You'd definitely need a blender even if you were only mixing it with water or milk.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein in Vanilla Ice Cream - Once again, yuck! It's definitely better than the Oh Yeah! and not nearly as thick. It's more mixable as well, but the flavor is just - blech. I'd probably have to add a bunch of stuff to it just go get it down. The aftertaste is pretty gross.

CSN 100% Pro Whey Standard in Vanilla Ice Cream - My search is over! Wow, this stuff is absolutely DELICIOUS! It's like drinking a milkshake. I add water, almond milk, PB2, unsweetened cocoa powder, half of a frozen banana, and a few pieces of ice to a blender and make a super yummy post-workout shake that I look forward to like you would not believe. However, I've tried it with only milk and only water and it's still the best tasting protein powder I've tried by far. I can't say enough good things about it - very easily mixed with just a fork or spoon, no weird aftertaste, and a great consistency.

I've also heard great things about BSN Lean Dessert protein powder, which plenty of women use. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it's pretty tasty and probably much more available to you than the CSN, which is a local brand in South Carolina. It can be purchased online, though.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein. It does the same job for women as it does for men - adds protein to your diet.

It won't bulk you up, make you gain weight or gain size unless they cause you to move into a calorie surplus. Most protein powders are actually fairly low in calories though. The one I used to use was Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey at around 110 calories per serving, and some really nice flavours.

Whey protein is completely different to weight gainers, which is what some people use to help them add mass.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

A lot of people associate it with that, but it is merely a supplement. A lot of bodybuilders use it because they tend to have high protein goals, and as mentioned, it is an easy way to help meet those goals

I always take mine with water but I tend to just chug it. How good it tastes depends on the brand. Some mix well with water, others don't. You should be able to find reviews online. Or you can make a shake with water as the base.

I put my protein in my green smoothie. I use unflavored, but I used to get MetRx vanilla casein protein and always used it with water...I liked the taste.
  • Tinamac1
    Tinamac1 Posts: 39
    Options
    Whey protein can cause a yeast infection, that is the only thing I would look out for. I found out the hard way so just beware.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Whey protein can cause a yeast infection, that is the only thing I would look out for. I found out the hard way so just beware.

How?
  • naomigee161
    naomigee161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    what everyone else said. I use this which tastes great: http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-category/protein-supplements/whey-protein/pure-whey-isolate-90.html

NG156299 will get you £5 off orders too :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein in Vanilla Ice Cream - Once again, yuck! It's definitely better than the Oh Yeah! and not nearly as thick. It's more mixable as well, but the flavor is just - blech. I'd probably have to add a bunch of stuff to it just go get it down. The aftertaste is pretty gross.

I have this one, its delicious! i mix it with 1 part milk and 2 parts water, throw in a few ice cubes and it tastes like melted ice cream!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

How, exactly, are you getting this stuff into your body? Just, um... curious.