whey protein for women?

Options

Replies

• timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea - eat proper food. Forget highly processed ****e.
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a magically whey protein that gets them hella jacked and muscular? That's the kind of protein I want. :D

Because the one I'm taking just isn't doing the job. lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    so ive started on the whey protein it says take 2 servings a day.
    the mixing method is 70g ( 2 scoops ) to 1 pint of water - is this 2 servings or just one? because i looked it up on cals and if this is one serving then the cals are ridiculous
    can anybody help me at all coz im so confused?

You don't have to follow the label. You don't have to take it twice a day, just as much as you need to make your protein goal.

Some protein powder is listed as one scoop per serving, others are two. I just assumed it was a way they could advertise more protein per serving - so it looks like 44 grams of protein per serving as opposed to 22 grams. I don't usually do 2 scoops.
    I consider my serving of protein powder to have around 20-24 grams of protein depending on brand. If the label lists two scoops with 40-48 grams, I just use one scoop.
    You don't have to use their serving size. If you want to do one serving of one scoop, or one serving of two scoops - that is fine, whatever helps you meet your macros and calories.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Some of my shakes are whey and I am going over to mostlly whey. I have used it before as well and it is fine.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I ordered About Time from Amazon, and it is just the protein. Someone on here recommended it. I plan on mixing it with the almond milk I already have.
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input , i just linked whey protein with body building or something maybe ignorant of me. i am struggling to hit my protein goals, so maybe this is the answer but i dont like milk , can i take it with water?
    I've used degner whey for a fw years now to get my protein in. No bulking up
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    No! Eat food to fulfill your needs.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    ive been reading up on this with conflicting ideas. im wondering if whey protein is ok for women not to bulk up but to get the protein needed? or is it just a waste of calories , any opinions welcome or women who use it id like to hear if it has worked or not for you? any input appreciated!!

Protein powder can be used by both males and females. It is a highly processed product if that is a concern for you. Protein power can be vegetable (eg. rice, soy, hemp) or non-vegetable (eg. egg, whey, casein). Do your research before using any protein powder. The vegetable based ones tend to be GMO unless specified otherwise and some of them are quite high in heavy metals. Of these, hemp tends to be the least problematic. Of the non-vegetable, whey and casein are the least problematic with whey being absorbed faster making it ideal for recovery. Here's a bit more reading on protein powders http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/12/13/food-babe-investigates-protein-shakes/

If you want to increase protein without using protein powder, you can eat: nut butters, nuts, beef jerky, cooked chicken breast, Greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese and chia seeds. Soy products are high in protein but are not the best choice for women.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I use Swanson's whey protein and mix with almond milk. I usually add berries, sometimes banana and/or PB2.
    Speaking of ice cream, I bet protein powder and almond milk, with any type of fruit or flavor would make an awesome "ice cream". Might get icy if stored but I bet it's yummy right out of the machine!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Whey protein does not contain anything that causes a person to bulk up. There are specific protein shake blends designed for bulking that have added fats and carbohydrates sources leading to much higher calorie content. These will cause you to bulk up. Regular whey protein shake mix does not. Also, there is no such thing as protein shake mix specifically designed for women. The physiology of men and women is not so different that they have completely different reactions from the same food items.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    Under the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA), protein supplements, like any other supplement, are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This means that supplement manufacturers do not need to register their products with FDA and they do not need FDA approval before producing or selling dietary supplements.9 Unfortunately, this lack of a regulation might result in products with contaminants, as it occurred in 2010 with protein supplements containing unwanted levels of lead, cadmium, mercury, and arsenic.

from Alan - I don’t really see protein powder as much as a supplement as it is a convenient food product. Beyond that, the only legal stuff that really works is creatine. People get a boner over BCAA supps but don’t realize that about 20% of their protein intake consists of BCAA. Fat burner supps for the most part suck *kitten*, especially in habitual caffeine consumers. Nevertheless, all supps work if you take it with a dose of expectation bias from believing in their marketing. The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all.

* Alan's message is old, creatine is not in the picture any longer... sorry, on my phone it's not east to copy and post. :)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input , i just linked whey protein with body building or something maybe ignorant of me. i am struggling to hit my protein goals, so maybe this is the answer but i dont like milk , can i take it with water?

I don't like to 'drink' my calories unless it's wine. lol

I started this about a year ago and now it's my favorite meal of the day.....I mix chocolate whey protein powder into a mashed banana with chopped walnuts for a pudding-ish type thing. I love it! :)

It's a good ratio of carbs, protein and good fat. It's basically my daily breakfast after my workout.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    from Alan - I don’t really see protein powder as much as a supplement as it is a convenient food product. Beyond that, the only legal stuff that really works is creatine. People get a boner over BCAA supps but don’t realize that about 20% of their protein intake consists of BCAA. Fat burner supps for the most part suck *kitten*, especially in habitual caffeine consumers. Nevertheless, all supps work if you take it with a dose of expectation bias from believing in their marketing. The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all.

Alan Alda?

alan_alda.jpg
  • kirstenflood
    kirstenflood Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    can some one just tell me what these all means
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250793859595?var=550027425952&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    am i drinking one serving or 2? by mixing how it says?id really appreciate help here
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Alan Alda?

alan_alda.jpg

Aragon.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Alan Alda?

alan_alda.jpg

Aragon.

Aragon like the fellow in Lord of the Rings? What does he have to do with protein unless we're taking the trek to destroy the One Ring as a fitness plan?
  • kirstenflood
    kirstenflood Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i just wish someone would give me a straight answer instead of telling me what taste good etc is 70g of protein per pint of water one or 2 servings?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Alan Alda?

alan_alda.jpg

Aragon.

Aragon like the fellow in Lord of the Rings? What does he have to do with protein unless we're taking the trek to destroy the One Ring as a fitness plan?

No idea but whatever he says I'm willing to listen to. Dude is hot. When he falls into the river...? Mah gawd.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    i just wish someone would give me a straight answer instead of telling me what taste good etc is 70g of protein per pint of water one or 2 servings?

I'm sorry but that is the most confusing label I have seen.

"Serving size" doesn't matter, it is simply how they list it on their label. Most "serving sizes" on labels aren't even close to what someone would actually eat as an actual serving.

As I said earlier - I consider one scoop, around 20-25 grams of protein, a serving size based on my needs. But it appears the label you posted considers 2 scoops (70 grams in total) one serving.
    It also has "daily serving" listed which appears to be 133 grams, which would be about twice that. That paired with the fact that they suggest 2 servings a day I would say that -
    A serving is two scoops, or 70 grams of powder.
    A daily serving is 4 scoops, or 133 grams of powder.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    Alan Aragon? seriously? hahahaaa!

Ask Sidesteel.