My DNA says to do a low-fat diet and cardio.

Options
Hello all, I did the 23andme DNA testing thing for ancestry recently and ran my results through promethease. If you aren't familiar, 23andme recently had to stop offering their DNA health results because the FDA ordered them to and it's an ongoing legal thing blah blah. But promethease can take the raw data you download from 23andme(or ancestry.com) and give you health results.

Anyway my report showed that I have the "high intensity exercise" gene and the "low-fat-diet" gene seen at the below website:

http://rockstarresearch.com/these-5-genes-predict-what-kind-of-diet-and-exercise-is-best-for-your-body-2/

What does high intensity even mean? Cardio?

I was wondering if anyone else has done DNA testing and/or applied it to their weight loss and had results? I don't want to go on a low-fat diet or exercise more if its not going to work when I have been losing steadily(but very slowly) just counting calories. I definitely don't want to do it if it's not like, real science. I keep hearing mixed things about this sort of research and I don't personally know anything about SNPs or genetic-y things.

If it matters I'm 22, 143 lbs 5'5'' recently diagnosed as insulin resistant. Also what is a good low fat macro ratio? I've been doing 40:30:30.

Thoughts?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't trust a website that offers DNA tests.
    Your best bet is to speak to a nutritionist to find a plan good for your needs.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    DNA isn't that simple, which is one of the reason these tests are so problematic. If what you're doing is working, why change?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    In for genetic privilege.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't trust a website that offers DNA tests.
    Your best bet is to speak to a nutritionist to find a plan good for your needs.

So I should not trust the ancestry results? The website that offers DNA tests is for ancestry, it just also included raw DNA data/a list of SNPs my DNA contains.

The second website ran that list against a database of researched genetic markers and showed me which ones I have. None of it is marketed towards weight loss. I did the Promethease thing to find out what medications I might react poorly to.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    DNA isn't that simple, which is one of the reason these tests are so problematic. If what you're doing is working, why change?

Because it is working slowly! Like a pound a month/2 weeks sometimes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    low-fat diet gene?

ROFL.

That's not really how it works. If you like the idea, go with it, sure, but that's not how this whole DNA science/magick/reason thing works.
  • dbmata
    Options
    So I should not trust the ancestry results? The website that offers DNA tests is for ancestry, it just also included raw DNA data/a list of SNPs my DNA contains.

Two completely different things.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Let's play a little game called, "guess what's wrong."

The FDA got involved.

This is a clue.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    So I should not trust the ancestry results?

200_s.gif
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options

The FDA got involved.

This is a clue.

Because they said a dr needs to administer the test for them to give out health results. The validity of said results was not in question.

Like, results were showing increased risks for certain cancers/diseases and people were taking medical action based on them so the FDA said this test needs to be classified as a medical device and not distributed without a dr.'s consent.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Low Fat diet will mean higher carbs generally... which is not good if you are insulin resistant...

Unless it is suggesting you go balls to the wall with 100% protein... heh.

Given insulin resistance, you should actually favor a bit more fat and a bit less carbohydrates.

Overall, DNA won't tell you jack about the diet you should go for... unless you have very specific genes that make you DIE from consuming X, Y, or Z for example.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Because it is working slowly! Like a pound a month/2 weeks sometimes.

Maybe that's because you're already at a healthy weight for your height. Sure, there is some room for more loss, but you're in the healthy range already and loss will happen much more slowly now than when you had more to lose. What kind of loss rate are you expecting? Your expectations are probably unrealistic and unhealthy.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    low-fat diet gene?

ROFL.

That's not really how it works. If you like the idea, go with it, sure, but that's not how this whole DNA science/magick/reason thing works.

I am aware that my choice of words oversimplifies things or whatever. If you'd prefer I can call it Gs281. If you know that single-nucleotide polymorphism by name I'm impressed. I didn't but I had to call it something.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

The FDA got involved.

This is a clue.

If its on the internet it must be true. I mean, you can't post something on the internet that isn't true. :tongue:
  • dbmata
    Options
    low-fat diet gene?

ROFL.

I am aware that my choice of words oversimplifies things or whatever. If you'd prefer I can call it Gs281.

again, that's not how it works.

The ancestry stuff is, while a toy, potentially reasonably accurate for horseshoes and hand grenades. I know I also don't need to say it, but I will say it, having a marker does not mean it is expressed.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    low-fat diet gene?

ROFL.

I am aware that my choice of words oversimplifies things or whatever. If you'd prefer I can call it Gs281.

The ancestry stuff is, while a toy, potentially reasonably accurate for horseshoes and hand grenades. I know I also don't need to say it, but I will say it, having a marker does not mean it is expressed.

Rather than "try everything until you find what works for your body," I was going to try this first. If there is any science behind it. If you're telling me there isn't then thank you for answering my question.

I know it doesn't mean it is expressed. I wanted to know if it could be a valid starting point or if its complete crap. I didn't pay for the test expecting weight loss results I did it for the ancestry and was curious enough about this other information to ask.
  • dbmata
    Options

The FDA got involved.

This is a clue.

If its on the internet it must be true. I mean, you can't post something on the internet that isn't true. :tongue:

Not necessarily, the FDA got involved because they claimed it was a medical device, which if they can make that stick will involve years of tests that are excellent revenue from the FDA. Their involvement in this type of toy is basically the mafia expecting protection money. It has no bearing whatsoever as to the safety or quality of the product. As we've seen time and again with FDA approved devices. ;)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If it matters I'm 22, 143 lbs 5'5'' recently diagnosed as insulin resistant. Also what is a good low fat macro ratio? I've been doing 40:30:30.

Thoughts?
    If you're insulin resistant the last thing you want to be eating is a low fat diet. Low carb is what you want and start exercising if you're not already.
  • dbmata
    Options
    low-fat diet gene?

ROFL.

Rather than "try everything until you find what works for your body," I was going to try this first. If there is any science behind it. If you're telling me there isn't then thank you for answering my question.

I'm not going to tell you there isn't, because it's great to research this stuff for yourself, but I live with someone who teaches genetics to undergrads. We've discussed it, there's no reasonable basis at this time. Doesn't mean there may not be better proof in the future though.
  • popstarwow
    popstarwow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I´m a Farmacy student and yes, I did those kind of test but in a laboratory in my university. To sum up, the test said that I have predisposition to cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.

Basically, DNA has different positions and SNPs are variations in these positions. If you have a variation (a SNPs) in a particular position you have predisposition to this kind of deseases.

Maybe your results are like mine and you have predisposition to this deseases ( actually, you are insulin resistant). This results just mean that you have to care a little bit more about the food you eat and do some excersise, nothing else.

However, you said that you did the test online (or thats what I understood). This test can´t be done online because they need you DNA. Also, they are really expensive, so I don´t think any web would do them for free.

I hope it helped you. Sorry if I got something wrong. :)