Female weight training - bulking but no fat loss?! HELP

Options
I'm 20, 5'4" and CW is 134 lbs (GW 120 lbs)
I had a routine of going to the gym and doing 1-1.5 hours of cardio about 5 times a week. Initially I lost 4 lbs but then weight loss completely plateaued. I decided to switch up my work out routine and incorporate much more resistance and strength training in the hope it would help me tone up and boost my metabolism. However after 3 weeks of this routine, I have lost no weight but actually put on a couple of lbs. I do feel fitter, but I am building a lot of muscle but not losing any fat! I'm scared I'm gonna just bulk out. (I have not lost any inches either)

Shall I stick with weight training and hope the fat will start coming off? I am starting to build masculine shoulders, arms and thighs which is not a look I was going for!

Also, I am eating 1200-1400 calories a day and no shifting any weight. Today I have started a 5:2 diet in the hope that might kick my metabolism up the butt.

Any advice would be really appreciated! x

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    What do you consider a plateau? How long has it been since you lost weight? Switching from cardio to resistance training is fine but you will never bulk up unless you eat about a monster amount of calories and take muscle building supplements. Don't believe the false myth that women bulk up from weight lifting or strength training. It is hogwash. More than likely the problem is with your food intake or water retention. Here is a great place to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    When you say fat, do you mean like your problem areas? Or do you mean actual body fat percentage?

I would ask one of the trainers to do measurements for you so you can compare with now and later down the road.

Also I would switch from 1-1.5hrs of cardio to a 20min interval cardio. I hate cardio myself but when my first trainer told me to do 20-30min of interval cardio, that made a big difference.

I would also keep with lifting weight as well and maybe eat a little more? What is your typical day of eating like? Do you eat more carbs? Also 3 weeks of training will not bulk you up unless you are eating a lot more than what you are eating now. It's very common to gain some weight when you start lifting and not lose weight. Sometimes you have to also look at inches. But you said you have not lost any inches either. Give it some time. I'd say, as long as you're feeling good is what matters the most.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 -1400 calories and putting on a lot of muscle?

I'm sorry but this does not compute.

You can not build A LOT of muscle on a deficit, especially at the deficit you're eating at. You're retaining water, a common initial effect of weight lifting.

Keep lifting, get enough protein and enjoy the results.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You just started a bunch of new routines. Your muscles are holding onto water for repair. You're not building an appreciable amount of muscle. As a newbie to weight training, you might be able to build a TINY bit in a deficit but it's not going to stall you and you aren't going to bulk up. For a women, even intentionally bulking (aka eating at a surplus and doing a good hypertrophy routine), building muscle is difficult. Do stick with it though. Weightlifting combined with a good amount of protein will help you retain your current muscle and help you look leaner as you lose

If you're not losing, I'd look at one of two places.

1. Your logging accuracy. Are you logging every bite? Are you weighing and measuring your food if necessary (I do because I like to be as accurate as possible, things add up quick and labels alone are not enough, especially calorie dense items).
    2. Are you overestimating your calorie burns from exercise? MFP highly overestimated burns, as do machines like ellipticals. It's recommended to only eat about 75% of calories given for those exercises.

Here's a good read. Read it and the links within.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    its probably water.

youre not building muscle.

keep it up...dont stop lifting, and you will see/feel the difference.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    About the gained pounds: weight training / lifting is one of the worst exercises if you follow a scale ;)
    I usually put on 4-6lbs the day after I lift - hello there water.
    If you have the possibility: ask a trainer to guide you around the whole thing. But I'd definetly stick to the lifting thing :) especially when you realize it makes you fitter.
    With only 1400 calories I don't think you're gonna bulk up. :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Are you taking steroids? If not, you won't bulk.

Sorry. You're female. It is just how it goes. If you want to be bulky, you're gonna have to REALLY work at it. Like 2 hours a day lifting HEAVY (Not dozens, but hundreds of pounds) and pump yourself with enough steroids to make Arnold look like a Russian Ballerina.
  • little_gemm
    little_gemm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    its probably water.

Well I definitely am building muscle as I am using a 50%-100% weight increase on resistance machines compared the maximum I could do about a month ago. I am also tracking my "progress" photographically with snaptrack, I can definitely see my shoulders and back are more muscular. I'm all for toning up, and obviously I'm not exactly hench, I just don't want to get muscly but keep my fat haha. But yeah hopefully if I stick at it, I'll start shifting some body fat :smile:
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    its probably water.

Well I definitely am building muscle as I am using a 50%-100% weight increase on resistance machines compared the maximum I could do about a month ago. I am also tracking my "progress" photographically with snaptrack, I can definitely see my shoulders and back are more muscular. I'm all for toning up, and obviously I'm not exactly hench, I just don't want to get muscly but keep my fat haha. But yeah hopefully if I stick at it, I'll start shifting some body fat :smile:

You are not building muscle....you are getting stronger and there is 0% chance you will get "muscly".
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    its probably water.

I am no expert but just speak from my personal experience, this is just all temporary. Keep lifting and eating right (amount) that bulkiness will shink down eventually. When I first started, my thighs increased 1 inch on each just after one month of weight training...now they went back down. :)
  • little_gemm
    Options
    When you say fat, do you mean like your problem areas? Or do you mean actual body fat percentage?

I would ask one of the trainers to do measurements for you so you can compare with now and later down the road.

Also I would switch from 1-1.5hrs of cardio to a 20min interval cardio. I hate cardio myself but when my first trainer told me to do 20-30min of interval cardio, that made a big difference.

I would also keep with lifting weight as well and maybe eat a little more? What is your typical day of eating like? Do you eat more carbs? Also 3 weeks of training will not bulk you up unless you are eating a lot more than what you are eating now. It's very common to gain some weight when you start lifting and not lose weight. Sometimes you have to also look at inches. But you said you have not lost any inches either. Give it some time. I'd say, as long as you're feeling good is what matters the most.

I mean both body fat percentage and problem areas. I had a session with a training a couple of weeks ago, and told me to start incorporating HIIT into my workouts which I have been doing at least 3 times a week.

I eat low calorie meals (200-300), but my downfall is probably snacking (albeit mainly healthy snacking). But I may try changing my eating routine so that I eat 3 slightly larger meals and cut down on the snacks.

Like you said, I guess I just have to give it time! Thanks :)
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You're gaining strength not muscle, gaining muscle whilst in a calorie deficit is impossible.
  • little_gemm
    Options
    its probably water.

I am no expert but just speak from my personal experience, this is just all temporary. Keep lifting and eating right (amount) that bulkiness will shink down eventually. When I first started, my thighs increased 1 inch on each just after one month of weight training...now they went back down. :)

That's encouraging to hear! How long did it take for you to "shrink"? haha Thank you :)
  • albayin
    Options
    If any help, I started training with heave weight about a year and half ago, and the first half, none of my old pants fit any more. It's just recently I started noticing they are fit again, even a bit looser. :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    From a BB.com thread today.......

"You can but it's CNS adaption. Strength gain via muscle gain generally happens after CNS adaption is over and there is a surplus of calories to actually BUILD muscle"

Exactly this, creating muscle requires a lot of energy, approx twice the energy it contains so it's extremely unlikely your body will waste all that energy in a deficit as it will already be doing what it can to preserve energy.

For a total beginner you usually have a period of 6 weeks of pure CNS adaptions and reconstruction/reconfiguration of the muscles (assuming not much lifting has been done before) you can see some size increase by muscle atrophy recovery,increased glycogen stores/water content, inflammation etc. but it's unlikely you will build muscle and near impossible if you are in a deficit unless you are a genetic freak (there are indications of some but it's incredibly rare) and it will still be a minute amount.

People need to realize building muscle is a difficult process, it's incredibly slow even while bulking when everything is working at optimal levels and there is a excess of energy going around.
    When it is that difficult/slow under optimal conditions just imagine how much worse/impossible it is when you are in a deficit, hormones dropping, recovery going down the drain, strength/endurance loss as glycogen stores start emptying,inflammation increasing, psychological responses to the deficit reducing your energy/ability to push further than before to conserve energy and again no surplus energy to waste on creating new energy consuming muscle tissue that has a high energy cost to create.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

"You can but it's CNS adaption. Strength gain via muscle gain generally happens after CNS adaption is over and there is a surplus of calories to actually BUILD muscle"

Exactly this, creating muscle requires a lot of energy, approx twice the energy it contains so it's extremely unlikely your body will waste all that energy in a deficit as it will already be doing what it can to preserve energy.

For a total beginner you usually have a period of 6 weeks of pure CNS adaptions and reconstruction/reconfiguration of the muscles (assuming not much lifting has been done before) you can see some size increase by muscle atrophy recovery,increased glycogen stores/water content, inflammation etc. but it's unlikely you will build muscle and near impossible if you are in a deficit unless you are a genetic freak (there are indications of some but it's incredibly rare) and it will still be a minute amount.

People need to realize building muscle is a difficult process, it's incredibly slow even while bulking when everything is working at optimal levels and there is a excess of energy going around.
    When it is that difficult/slow under optimal conditions just imagine how much worse/impossible it is when you are in a deficit, hormones dropping, recovery going down the drain, strength/endurance loss as glycogen stores start emptying,inflammation increasing, psychological responses to the deficit reducing your energy/ability to push further than before to conserve energy and again no surplus energy to waste on creating new energy consuming muscle tissue that has a high energy cost to create.

^this

There's a small window given ideal conditions to build a teeny bit of muscle in a deficit with weight training.

However, OP. Strength gains doesn't not equal muscle gain. Your existing muscles can build strength without new muscle being built for a good duration. That's how my weight loss went. I lost 53 lbs and still gained quite a bit of strength. What you are noticing is existing muscle surfacing from fat loss. Not from an appreciable amount of muscle gaining.
  • albayin
    Options

I wish I had known better when I first started...I totally missed that 6-week golden era. :)
  • little_gemm
    Options

I am aware I would need to increase my calorie and protein consumption massively to build a lot of muscle, I understand that. I'm not saying I'm huge.

Ok so by the sounds of it I mean I have "gained strength". But there is definitely a visible difference in bicep, shoulder and back muscle, to the point that several of my friends have commented. This is why I am concerned, muscle, strength, whatever it is - it's starting to look masculine and I am worrying about that continuing haha!

Also as a side note, as I am in a deficit and have been for over a month... any idea why am I not losing any weight or inches?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Oh this thread.

First of all, muscles aren't "masculine". You can see definition in your arms because you actually are losing fat. You aren't seeing the scale move because water weight. Seconds, as other have pointed out, it takes a lot to build muscle if you are female. Like a lot of time and effort that you could not have done in 3 weeks.

Are you measuring yourself?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options