Female weight training - bulking but no fat loss?! HELP

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, you'll earn zero goodwill here by calling muscle masculine. Actually scratch that. Negative goodwill.
    Also, this. And calling it "bulky" will usually draw some ridicule too.

I wasn't directly calling muscle masculine. I was specifically referring to MY body and proportions, no need to take it personally. I'm all for strengthening my muscles, hence why I'm doing weight training in the first place, my main problem is that I'm not losing fat to go with it yet so feel a bit 'puffy'. But as everyone has explained, it'll just be water. But thank you for your negative goodwill :)

I wouldn't worry about it, little_gem...you know not all people have strong shoulders...literally or virtually. :) Good luck~
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys, a lot of good information here (and a few sarcastic/ passive aggressive comments). I didn't really understand the difference between gaining strength and muscle, and therefore I guess kind of explained the situation wrong. But good to know this puffy feeling is just water/swelling. I'll continue with my training and hopefully I'll start losing some fat soon.
    Oh, goodness. You really haven't seen MFP sarcasm, at least not on this thread. Seriously. Acrylics is one of the kindest people I've seen on MFP; when she mentioned the reaction one will get here by calling muscle "masculine," she was giving you useful information too. :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, you'll earn zero goodwill here by calling muscle masculine. Actually scratch that. Negative goodwill.

I wasn't directly calling muscle masculine. I was specifically referring to MY body and proportions, no need to take it personally. I'm all for strengthening my muscles, hence why I'm doing weight training in the first place, my main problem is that I'm not losing fat to go with it yet so feel a bit 'puffy'. But as everyone has explained, it'll just be water. But thank you for your negative goodwill :)

I get called manly/gross/disgusting here a lot. Or maybe it just feels like a lot. Usually by a women who is complaining or worrying about getting bulky. So I am sensitive to it. However, mostly that was an fyi-- you mentioned the sarcasm and passive aggressive responses-- that's why.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Honestly I think the most insulting thing about it is just this notion that somehow putting on muscle is so easy that you can just do it by accident without wanting to do it at all.

No, really, no. Even for a man eating at a caloric surplus in the prime of his life doing an intensive hypertrophy routine of constant weight lifting they will not put on a measurable amount of muscle in 3 weeks. Muscle gain is slow and hard won even in the optimum circumstances.

Yeah but I can excuse that as simple ignorance.

Fair enough, yeah I wasn't actually "insulted" for that reason.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Honestly I think the most insulting thing about it is just this notion that somehow putting on muscle is so easy that you can just do it by accident without wanting to do it at all.

No, really, no. Even for a man eating at a caloric surplus in the prime of his life doing an intensive hypertrophy routine of constant weight lifting they will not put on a measurable amount of muscle in 3 weeks. Muscle gain is slow and hard won even in the optimum circumstances.

Now you see how people get offended when they are told "lying to themselves by not eating a deficit"? I think everyone has their own touchy spot...call it sensitive or overreacting?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I get called manly/gross/disgusting here a lot. Or maybe it just feels like a lot. Usually by a women who is complaining or worrying about getting bulky. So I am sensitive to it. However, mostly that was an fyi-- you mentioned the sarcasm and passive aggressive responses-- that's why.

Well if you don't mind me creeping on your profile pics I for one thing you look very good. Fit is sexy imo.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Considering what I've seen of your pics, 'manly/gross/disgusting' are SO not the words that I would use to describe you - at all. :flowerforyou:
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I noticed OP is already at a normal weight for her height, so her weight loss might also have slowed because she is building muscle and doesn't have that much left to lose. I had a similar experience where I lost about 4 lbs. and plateaued. I had done strength training before MFP, but have been more conscientious about it, as well as about tracking and eating more protein (although I still seldom meet that macro goal). I must admit, my appearance at 5'1.5" is somewhat "bulky" because I already have big shoulders and a larger frame for my height. However, I'm older, 55, and I don't mind it because what's there is firm, not flabby. So, I just adjusted to having a healthier body and am not so focused on the scale. Lo and behold, I just lost another lb. this week! OP might also have better results if she eats a bit more, since she is a larger person than I am, and it takes food to fuel her activity level; her body might be "holding on" to that weight because it thinks she's not getting enough to eat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Considering what I've seen of your pics, 'manly/gross/disgusting' are SO not the words that I would use to describe you - at all. :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Well if you don't mind me creeping on your profile pics I for one thing you look very good. Fit is sexy imo.

Thanks. That really wasn't me fishing for compliments. Just me admitting that I might be sensitive to that particular wording.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You need to read this. Check this girl's stats and she is your age.

Her "bulky" 142 is wayyyy hotter than her mushy 117.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

Right? She's gorgeous and incredibly inspiring. As are so many other heavy lifting ladies on MFP. :heart:
  • little_gemm
    little_gemm Posts: 11 Member
    Options

You look great. I'd kill for your body.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Now you see how people get offended when they are told "lying to themselves by not eating a deficit"? I think everyone has their own touchy spot...call it sensitive or overreacting?

Eh I'm not actually offended myself, I just understand why such a cavalier "oh noes I'm putting on muscle to fast" would be irritating to someone who is actively attempting to put on muscle and finding it exceedingly hard (because it is). I was being more empathetic than having my own reaction. That said I can also empathize with those who are told that they are lying to themselves.
  • little_gemm
    Options

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Whoa ok, she looks amazing. I'm convinced. Maybe I should stop obsessing over the scales and just keep training hard. Thank you :D
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Thanks. That really wasn't me fishing for compliments. Just me admitting that I might be sensitive to that particular wording.

Well too bad you got them :-P.

Yeah I didn't think you were in need of an ego boost, I'm sure your mirror provides you with one. Working towards that fit-self myself, thanks for the inspiration.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Whoa ok, just looking amazing. I'm convinced. Maybe I should stop obsessing over the scales and just keep training hard. Thank you :D

<big smile> There you go. Honestly it would be really really hard to exercise, eat right, improve your lifestyle I would be utterly shocked to hear that you were disappointing with your newly shaped body.

It is just going to take time and with the water retention associated with new weight lifting chances are you are losing fat but its just not showing up on your scale.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Whoa ok, just looking amazing. I'm convinced. Maybe I should stop obsessing over the scales and just keep training hard. Thank you :D

That is excellent news. Happy to hear it.
  • little_gemm
    Options

Eh I'm not actually offended myself, I just understand why such a cavalier "oh noes I'm putting on muscle to fast" would be irritating to someone who is actively attempting to put on muscle and finding it exceedingly hard (because it is). I was being more empathetic than having my own reaction. That said I can also empathize with those who are told that they are lying to themselves.

What I meant was that I felt look I looked bigger despite trying really hard to lose weight. Not that I've 'accidentally' turned into a body builder. It makes sense now I know about water retention and swelling, as well as the fact I probably am losing some fat which is making my muscles appear more defined.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

What I meant was that I felt look I looked bigger despite trying really hard to lose weight. Not that I've 'accidentally' turned into a body builder. It makes sense now I know about water retention and swelling, as well as the fact I probably am losing some fat which is making my muscles appear more defined.

Well with that new knowledge take another look at your progress. Your scale hasn't moved and yet your body is clearly noticeably swollen with retained water in your overworked muscles....what does that tell you? :-) I think you'll like the answer.

Hint: Just a few cups of water retained wouldn't be that noticeable and yet two cups of water weighs a pound. If your muscles are noticbly swollen, feel hard...look bigger etc...