Whey powder in coffee?

Options
It would seem that my regular calorie overages result from having my coffee (with milk and agave nectar) and breakfast as well. I'm trying to figure out a way to make those one and the same.. lol

I'm thinking a blended coffee beverage with whey powder? Anyone else do this or have a decent recipe? I've been experimenting quite a bit today and haven't come up with anything that wasn't disgusting..

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think your on to something!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Something I'd like to see too!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It would seem that my regular calorie overages result from having my coffee (with milk and agave nectar) and breakfast as well. I'm trying to figure out a way to make those one and the same.. lol

I'm thinking a blended coffee beverage with whey powder? Anyone else do this or have a decent recipe? I've been experimenting quite a bit today and haven't come up with anything that wasn't disgusting..

Thanks in advance!

I mix the protein powder in something cold first before I put the hot coffee in, like milk or cream. Then I mix the hot coffee in while stirring. This prevents the lumps, from trial and error lol.
  • californiabella
    Options
    i like to blend my black coffee with almond or soy milk and a scoop of protein... add ice to make a frappuccino. I love the taste, but that's me.

(I usually brew a huge pot of black coffee and will store in the fridge so I don't have to worry about it every AM, that way I can just throw my ice, milk, protein, and coffee into the blender and then voila.)
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder with coffee is wonderful. Throw in some nutmeg and it's even better.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    In the past I've made my vanilla protein shakes with a packet or two of Starbucks Via instant coffee tossed in on top of the protein powder, add milk or water as required, and shake all of that up in a Blender Bottle (or similar contraption). If you like iced coffee, it fits the bill pretty well. I personally didn't like it with chocolate protein powder, but I can't even say for sure why that was. I've been thinking I need to get back into the protein shake habit for breakfast, and as I'm typing this, I am thinking I need to run back out to the store tonight and get some coffee packets. :)

ETA:
    Vanilla protein powder with coffee is wonderful. Throw in some nutmeg and it's even better.
    Yes! I forgot about the cinnamon that I also normally throw in there. Nutmeg sounds good too, though! For a 20 oz shake (half in the early morning, half around 10, unless I wake up famished) I do 2 scoops of whey powder, 2 packets of instant coffee, a teaspoon of Vietnamese cinnamon (the spicy kind), and 2 cups of milk or water. Yum.
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I put whey powder in cappuccinos. I think it makes them taste more "milky" but it really ups the protein content.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Not to be snarky but I doubt the poor coffee is the sole culprit for your calorie overage, however if you meant it as an area that looks like you can easily cut some calories then I would first suggest tinkering with the milk (the higher fat/ cow milk have way more calories) and second perhaps changing the agave to stevia if you want a nature sweetener because that stuff run 60 calories a tbsp I believe.

As far as whey protein "in coffee" that doesnt work unless you get a special type I think there are a few that you can mix in with hot coffee, as whey protein denigrates in heat over 120 degrees so your option would be a cold coffee protein shake if that the case. Moreover, protein shakes are good options but be warned that they are not always low calories since unless you can stand mixing it with water (IMO its gross and tastes chalky) so you would need milk or some other liquid to add some flavor for it to replace a meal.

Again not trying to be snarky just my 0.02$ on the matter as someone who drinks coffee and protein shakes and eats breakfast.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'll try some of those out. My first (and only) attempt with hot coffee was clumpy and disgusting. Cold coffee does work a lot better, but, I think I still need to change it a bit to make it work for me. So far the best attempt was half the protein powder scoop.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try some and see how they work out.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Not to be snarky but I doubt the poor coffee is the sole culprit for your calorie overage, however if you meant it as an area that looks like you can easily cut some calories then I would first suggest tinkering with the milk (the higher fat/ cow milk have way more calories) and second perhaps changing the agave to stevia if you want a nature sweetener because that stuff run 60 calories a tbsp I believe.

As far as whey protein "in coffee" that doesnt work unless you get a special type I think there are a few that you can mix in with hot coffee, as whey protein denigrates in heat over 120 degrees so your option would be a cold coffee protein shake if that the case. Moreover, protein shakes are good options but be warned that they are not always low calories since unless you can stand mixing it with water (IMO its gross and tastes chalky) so you would need milk or some other liquid to add some flavor for it to replace a meal.

Again not trying to be snarky just my 0.02$ on the matter as someone who drinks coffee and protein shakes and eats breakfast.

Wow :noway:
  • Sinful_moon
    Sinful_moon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do this everyday! It's delicious (depending on what your taste preferences are) I find if you mix the protein with milk/cream first you won't have much of that clumping problem (which is dependent on your protein brand)

Right now I'm drinking my coffee with Mint Chocolate, it's so yummy! My favorite so far would have to be French vanilla protein, it's so decadent ^-^
  • rachelakai2
    rachelakai2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday. I use unflavored protein (Isopure) and mix with ice and coffee in the blender. Iced coffee!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    wow - I would never have thought of doing this. I've added cold coffee to my protein shake before to make an iced coffee shake which was pretty good
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    When I used to drink coffee, I would put chocolate peanut butter whey protein and vanilla almond milk (and stevia!) in my coffee. It was delicious and around 100 calories.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Isopure makes a Columbian coffee whey protein.
  • Marily9999
    Marily9999 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas everybody, coffee + whey protein. :smile:
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea! Went to try this 2 mins ago with vanilla powder. Tastes fantastic. Hmmm! :drinker:
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for something like this for myself!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would just use instant coffee or a very strong brew like espresso and add that to a protein shake the way you normally make it.

Like a mocha drink. I'd use a little extra ice to offset the coffee heat if you do a brew.
  • mareluvsfood
    mareluvsfood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do the same!! Love it!