Whey powder in coffee?

Options

Replies

• sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to how you came to the conclusion about overages since you haven't even been logging anything. (I looked back at lest 1 week and saw nada)
    My coffee and breakfast isn't anywhere near putting me over.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Not to be snarky but I doubt the poor coffee is the sole culprit for your calorie overage, however if you meant it as an area that looks like you can easily cut some calories then I would first suggest tinkering with the milk (the higher fat/ cow milk have way more calories) and second perhaps changing the agave to stevia if you want a nature sweetener because that stuff run 60 calories a tbsp I believe.

As far as whey protein "in coffee" that doesnt work unless you get a special type I think there are a few that you can mix in with hot coffee, as whey protein denigrates in heat over 120 degrees so your option would be a cold coffee protein shake if that the case. Moreover, protein shakes are good options but be warned that they are not always low calories since unless you can stand mixing it with water (IMO its gross and tastes chalky) so you would need milk or some other liquid to add some flavor for it to replace a meal.

Again not trying to be snarky just my 0.02$ on the matter as someone who drinks coffee and protein shakes and eats breakfast.

Wow :noway:

Really, why in the heck would a person question another person who states she already knows where her cal overages are coming from? Telepathy? You didn't really come across as snarky lady above who posted this. You came off more idiotic.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Blender bottle half-filled with ice and blender ball. Vanilla powder, 1 spoonful of instant coffee, 1 cup of hot, brewed coffee. Add in that order, shake the hell out of it. You're welcome!

ETA: This is the best pre-workout EVER! (I think so anyway...)
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've been using whey with coffee as a shake. I chill my coffee overnight, use about 2/3 C of Almond Milk, ice and a serving of the powder. I might start using instant hot chocolate to make it a mocha or chocolate almond milk.
  • abrar0290
    abrar0290 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with NataBost. Whey protein tends to make people gassy (depending on the quality), add that with an acidic coffee and you might have a ticking time bomb on your hands, and your commute to work will probably be like Sandra Bullock riding the bus in Speed.

Cold brewed coffee does take overnight, but it is a lot less acidic, but you can taste the coffee's true flavor better than the bitterness you might taste when you don't use milk and sugar.
  • Elindranyth
    Options
    One of my friends does this, she had a weight loss surgery that prevents her from absorbing stuff right so she has to take a lot of extra protein and vitamins. She mixes a scoop of chocolate or vanilla flavored whey protein into a mug of coffee daily. We were actually talking about this recently and she uses this without issue: http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/champion_nutrition-pure_whey_plus.htm She specifically addressed cooking the powder and says that with this one she's never had any trouble with it cooking even when she puts it straight into her coffee after it comes out of the keurig
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with NataBost. Whey protein tends to make people gassy (depending on the quality), add that with an acidic coffee and you might have a ticking time bomb on your hands, and your commute to work will probably be like Sandra Bullock riding the bus in Speed.

Cold brewed coffee does take overnight, but it is a lot less acidic, but you can taste the coffee's true flavor better than the bitterness you might taste when you don't use milk and sugar.

Never happened to me *shrug* :ohwell:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    It would seem that my regular calorie overages result from having my coffee (with milk and agave nectar) and breakfast as well. I'm trying to figure out a way to make those one and the same.. lol

I'm thinking a blended coffee beverage with whey powder? Anyone else do this or have a decent recipe? I've been experimenting quite a bit today and haven't come up with anything that wasn't disgusting..

Thanks in advance!

ice
    milk
    instant coffee
    a little chocolate syrup
    whey protein

liquify in a blender
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lean Whey Chocolate fudge protein powder
    1 tbsp. espresso powder
    handful of ice
    I cup of milk

Amazing!
  • swoldiergirl
    swoldiergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Every morning I have a scoop of Phase8 Milk chocolate PP and mix it with 8oz cold coffee and a few ice cubes!
    Getting my caffeine and my protein and it's filling!
  • MLR930
    MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Instead of putting protein in your coffee why not buy a protein coffee mix? I have two that I love Click and Fit Frappe vanilla latte. The Click wakes me up more than any regular cup of coffee. Comes in Mocha, vanilla, and caramel.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas! I've concluded that I don't like it with hot coffee, even premixing with milk. But, cold coffee is okay.. lol

I do think instant coffee or espresso would work even better though. When I'm done blending there just isn't enough coffee flavor, the whey manages to overpower it.. I'll have to try instant coffee after I go grocery shopping next week.

Additionally, I found I really like a 'milkshake' of nonfat greek yogurt, skim milk and cacoa powder. Every bit as much protein as the whey, without any of the odd aftertaste. Maybe I should just add instant coffee to that.

I'm confused as to how you came to the conclusion about overages since you haven't even been logging anything. (I looked back at lest 1 week and saw nada)

I don't log here as it doesn't work on my phone, it used to, but it hasn't worked for me in over a year now. I keep a note on my phone instead. It seems a bit redundant to add it all here just for the approval of forum members.. lol I can look up a food item, but it won't save to my journal unless I enter it on my computer.
    I'm not a 'one cup of coffee' a day person. I probably have 4. Prepared the way I like it, each cup is around 100 calories. So, yeah, that's 400 extra calories that I would like to be part of a meal instead of useless, standalone calories. I quit all the other junk a long time ago; just trying to find a way to combine up the calories a bit more.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I make strong coffee, like espresso, and mix it with a cup of almond milk and a scoop of plain whey protein. I do a blend of half unsweetened vanilla almond milk and half chocolate almond milk.

I pour this over ice and drink. :) Very yummy.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I do think instant coffee or espresso would work even better though. When I'm done blending there just isn't enough coffee flavor, the whey manages to overpower it.. I'll have to try instant coffee after I go grocery shopping next week.

I've found the key for me (I use a Keurig) is to brew my coffee on the smallest possible cup setting for super strong coffee, then add that to my almond milk. :)
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'll either use my vanilla or chocolate in my coffee.
    Just tastes like a coffee drink that should be bad,
    it isn't though. :D
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Some very yummy ideas here! I need to try and get more protein but I don't always feel like having a breakfast food I can eat with whey protein in it. Especially as we're getting into iced coffee season, I will be keeping these ideas in mind!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas! I've concluded that I don't like it with hot coffee, even premixing with milk. But, cold coffee is okay.. lol

Additionally, I found I really like a 'milkshake' of nonfat greek yogurt, skim milk and cacoa powder. Every bit as much protein as the whey, without any of the odd aftertaste. Maybe I should just add instant coffee to that.

I don't log here as it doesn't work on my phone, it used to, but it hasn't worked for me in over a year now. I keep a note on my phone instead. It seems a bit redundant to add it all here just for the approval of forum members.. lol I can look up a food item, but it won't save to my journal unless I enter it on my computer.
    I'm not a 'one cup of coffee' a day person. I probably have 4. Prepared the way I like it, each cup is around 100 calories. So, yeah, that's 400 extra calories that I would like to be part of a meal instead of useless, standalone calories. I quit all the other junk a long time ago; just trying to find a way to combine up the calories a bit more.

Do you have a Windows phone? I do too, and if I have to use my phone to log, I go online-- the app is completely dysfunctional.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For those making frappuccinos or iced coffees ... make a pot of coffee then freeze it in ice cube trays and use that in your drink. That way it won't get 'watered down'.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My gym used to have a "coffee" smoothie where they mixed the coffee with some whey protein and ice and milk (I'd use almond milk) and it tasted almost like coffee ice cream. I don't know what whey protein flavor to use (I'd probably use vanilla). The coffee they used to add to the smoothies were scoops of Maxwell House....I don't know, about 2?
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I think the protein would denature at the temperature of hot coffee..... but for a frapp or something along those lines, it would probably work great.

I looked it up and it denatures at 72C, or 161F.

Coffee's temperature is supposed to be as close to 205F as possible, so chances are that putting whey protein in your hot coffee will kill the protein. Even denatured, I reckon your body gets amino acids out of it, though. It will clump when it denatures, though, so you'll get lumpy coffee. :(