Countdown to Thanksgiving--let's do it!

Options

Replies

• Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    1. Current weight: 181
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving: 177
    3. Something you're struggling with: Beer and snacks on football Saturdays!
    4. Something you're really proud of: Quit fast food, cokes, beer during weekdays
    5. Your basic plan of action: continue following MFP for calories, running 5-6x per week and strength training 3-4 x per week. Nov 6th run my first 5K ever. Goal is 25:00 or better!
    6. Thanksgiving Plan: Run my 2nd 5K @ 8 a.m.
  • BK120
    BK120 Posts: 107
    Options
    Weighed in today and have lost 2.5 pounds. New weight 269.5. :smile:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Good job BK.

Well I am PMSing today so I hope I don't go and eat everything in sight.
  • juliefeirer
    juliefeirer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about 12 days and am really enjoying it, but this is my very first post!

1. Current weight: 160
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving: Gonna go conservative and say 155. Slow and steady wins the race!
    3. Something you're struggling with: eating right before going to bed. Also, I haven't experienced this yet with MFP, but I usually lose motivation after losing a few pounds on any diet. I'm four pounds down now and still going, so that's a good sign.
    4. Something you're really proud of: taking a major step to eliminate stress, and therefore stress-eating, from my life. (I quit a super stressful job and got a new one, even though it was a bit of a pay cut!)
    5. Your basic plan of action: Exercise almost daily and stay below my calories on MFP. When I "calculate this entry" for the day and it tells me how much I'd weigh in five weeks if every day were like today, I write that number on the calendar five weeks out so that I can roughly see where I'm headed if I stay on course.
    6. Thanksgiving Day plan: I'll be traveling to visit my mother in law, and she's in an apartment in a new city, so we very well may be eating out that day. I'm thinking I'll stick to turkey and fruit and veggies as much as possible, with a piece of pumpkin pie.

BTW.... made an incredibly easy lowfat pumpkin muffin recipe yesterday. It's just one can of Libby pumpkin mixed with one box of Duncan Heinz super moist spice cake mix and a half cup of water. Stir all together and bake according to cupcake directions on box. Only about 100 calories each if you make it into 20 muffins! And even better, mix a can of pumpkin with a box of devil's food cake and about half a cup of chocolate chips and half cup of water. About 120 calories each.... totally satisfies the chocolate craving!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Welcome Bamacraft and juliefeirer! And congrats BK, I'm jealous!

Julie those muffins sound awesome. I had to throw away a plate of leftover brownies and cupcakes from a Halloween party I went to last weekend because I was having a hard time resisting them. Thankfully they were going stale anyway, but I did not need the temptation!

I had an awful day yesterday anyway. I got really upset because our neighborhood still hasn't finished repaving our parking lot even though they said they'd be done today (stupid, I know). Instead of appreciating the fact that it means I have to park 3 blocks away and I can get in a little extra exercise, I took the easy route and got annoyed that I have to walk in my dress shoes from work and couldn't buy groceries today because there's no WAY I'm lugging them all the way home.
    That bad feeling just spiraled out of control when the soup I was making turned out like yuck and I was still ravenously hungry and I didn't want to go to Zumba because it meant finding another parking spot (probably even *further* away) and my boyfriend was working late and I just wanted some chips, darnit!

So I skipped exercise and ate some potato chips and drank a soda. But you know what? I tracked all those calories! And even though I was about 500 up, I'm not going to make myself feel guilty. I probably should have made some better choices, but I stopped when I wasn't hungry anymore, and went away from the kitchen to give myself a facial instead of indulging in some more emotional eating. Today I'll work out extra hard to balance out, and that's that. It's just one day, anyway.

Hope everyone else is going strong. Good luck with the PMS, Ruth - I hope you don't fall prey to the ravenous chip monster like I did!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Are we going to have weekly weigh in's till Thanksgiving to chart progress? If so, what day?
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ok so my plan was to do some sort of activity/workout everyday to get to my goal. Well I went all hardcore on the kettlebells and after two days I couldn't walk.

So last night I gave myself a break and just rested.

Gotta do something tonight though. Don't want to lose my momentum.

Katie
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Hey juliefeirer, thanks for the idea of writing down the weight you'll be in 5 weeks "if everyday were like today". That's an awesome idea and a great motivator.
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    Hey juliefeirer, thanks for the idea of writing down the weight you'll be in 5 weeks "if everyday were like today". That's an awesome idea and a great motivator.

Weekly weigh ins are on Monday.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i would like to add myself in!

1. Current weight
    ~191
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving (shouldn't be too big of a difference since it's just a month but give yourself the goal!)
    3. Something you're struggling with
    not eating too much when i spend time with friends/go to parties where it's freely available. on my own at home/day to day living , but social events are so hard!
    4. Something you're really proud of
    that i've managed to lose what i have so far without it being unbearable!
    5. Your basic plan of action
    try to enjoy one thing when out, but i don't have to try everything. and if it's something i've had before i don't need to indulge like i'm trying something new. reminding myself that seeing the weight drop off is better than the food tastes
  • mystic333
    Options
    Sounds good to me!

1. Current weight 195.8

2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving (shouldn't be too big of a difference since it's just a month but give yourself the goal!) 187.6

3. Something you're struggling with Seriously lacking motivation to exercise =(

4. Something you're really proud of A recent promotion into management at work =)

5. Your basic plan of action 30 mins of cardio 7 days a week, 3 days of strength a week, and staying with 1350 calories per day
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Gotta do something tonight though. Don't want to lose my momentum.

I hear you. I took Monday and Tuesday off and basically forced my BF to go to the gym with my last night. I could not go one more day without working out! Even though I had to promise to fold all the laundry later just to get him to go with me, lol (he knows I'm serious when I bargain with laundry - it's my least favorite chore!).

Felling back on track today and I have a strategy in place for this weekend! I volunteered to be the DD so I won't intake a huge bunch of alcohol calories. I'm going to the gym tomorrow, and keeping up with my 30DS to make sure I squeeze at least some workout time in every day. And I have healthy, filling meals planned for the weekend so I won't succumb to the "treats" table at all the parties I'm going to. Plus I imagine that running from the hoardes of zombies will keep me active.

How about you guys? Do you have Halloween strategies?
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    OMG today the sweet tooth kicked in full force. It was my manager's last day so gave into the cake not knowing that I would had such a horrible lunch so I am way over on my calories already. Thankfully I have a training session with my trainer tonight and will just put in some extra time on the treadmill but I think this is the worse I have eaten since starting on MFP back in Feb and that includes going to the State Fair. My stomach was not happy at all with what I have eaten so far today.

As for getting through this weekend. I am turning off my lights and putting the car in the garage. I know its a total bah humbug but I don't have kids so I just don't need to temp myself with candy in the house.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I know its a total bah humbug but I don't have kids so I just don't need to temp myself with candy in the house.

naw, don't worry about being a bah hum bug, good for you for doing what you need to to stay on track! if i were in a neighborhood with kids i would do the same, haha
  • maryroseclare
    Options
    I'm in! I just decided yesterday that I will work even harder starting now to get through Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas by LOSING weight, not just maintaining it!

1. current weight - 250
    2. Goal weight - 242
    3. Bingeing on weekends, not exercising enough.
    4. I've been sticking with this since March and have lost 25 pounds. I'm starting to see and feel the difference. My commitment and determination has influenced my son to quit smoking! Tonight I told him how proud I was of him for quitting smoking, and that it has motivated me to try even harder. He told me that my commitment to losing weight and being healthier over the past 7 months motivated HIM to be healthier and change his lifestyle and quit smoking! That's totally unexpected and AMAZING!
    5. My plan is to exercise every day, really work on staying within my daily calorie goal. On Thanskgiving day I am going to dinner at my nephew's house, so I will make sure I exercise that morning, and take some walking shoes with me so we can take a walk after dinner. I'm going to drink LOTS of water that day!
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! Hope everyone gets through the weekend unscathed.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! I did my 30 Day Shred and went on a looong hike this morning so I have quite a few extra calories to indulge with. ^_^ I'm going to a party tonight and will probably have fun, but the hiking will still probably be the best part of the day!

Hope everyone else is doing well!
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    Happy Halloween!
  • monkeyfood
    Options
    First weigh in tomorrow :) thats kind of exciting.

& Happy Halloween Everyone!
  • juliefeirer
    juliefeirer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! Hope everyone gets through the weekend unscathed.

oops.... fell off the wagon a little bit today. My mom made a big family dinner with mashed potatoes, corn casserole, ham balls (it's a midwest thing) and cake. I have a history of feeling defeated and giving up if I fall off the wagon one or two days in a row. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that. I'm hoping this site (and this challenge) will help me overcome that pitfall. I'm anxious to get back to counting calories tomorrow, so that's a good sign. Weighing in on Mondays is a good idea!