Surprisngly low in cals?

Options
95Tashey95
95Tashey95 Posts: 65 Member
There are a lot of topics about people finding foods that are shockingly high in calories, fat or sugar so how about having a post in reverse

What little gems have people found out there that are normal foods (not diet foods as I think these need to be avoided most of the time!) that are surprisingly satisfying and low in cals, fat or sugar?

Replies

• 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Asparagus.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    Crab sticks at 12-16 a piece.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Tripe! :)

low cals (85 per 100 grams), no carbs (I don't care, anyway it has zero carbs), a lot of proteins and a few fat (kind of 23%fat and 77% proteins)
    Lots of minerals, a bit of cholesterol though (122 milligrams)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

low cals (85 per 100 grams), no carbs (I don't care, anyway it has zero carbs), a lot of proteins and a few fat (kind of 23%fat and 77% proteins)

Haha I hate the stuff. And that smell... :sick:

Shrimp. And caramels. I was shocked to find out that they are only like 25 calories.

That's it really.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Haha I hate the stuff. And that smell... :sick:

Shrimp. And caramels. I was shocked to find out that they are only like 25 calories.

That's it really.

yes... some snaks and sweets are surprisingly "low" cals... meaning that I would have guessed much more...

But for the tripe... you should try the pne we do here in Italy :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    budget ice cream bars from Geant... 99 cals/bar... (they're not even diet or low fat... just not very big because they're the budget version)

some kinds of chocolate bars, 140-200 cals/bar.. e.g that cadbury's one that has bubbles in it (like a cadbury version of aero but smaller)...... it's worth checking the smaller chocolate bars because they can make a nice snack or dessert that's really easy to fit into your calorie goal
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    The donuts I get are only around 200 each! I don't know why they get such a bad rap!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Many fruits and vegetables. But for treats, Breyer's Blasts Rapsberry Creamsicle. It's vanilla ice cream and raspberry sorbet mixed, 120 calories for 1/2 cup, so I can eat a cup of it for 240. I find room in my macros for that quite often! Also air popped popcorn.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Europe Summer Rolls. My favourite 'candy' bar and only 187 calories, hard to not justify one for breakfast haahaa.

Snickers Ice Cream bars - 180 cal. Crazy! So good!
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You should see how much broccoli can be eaten for 200 calories.

Nomnomnom
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was surprised tonight to find that pumpkin is pretty low cal (already knew about the broccoli, love my veggies!)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Bacon. 2 strip for 70-80 calories but so much flavor and since it has fat it sticks with me. Large Coffee, 2 Splenda, cup of lo fat milk and side of bacon is my favorite drive thru breakfast and only 180 calories.
    Eggplant. So low in calories you almost don't need to log it.
  • anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I was surprised tonight to find that pumpkin is pretty low cal (already knew about the broccoli, love my veggies!)

My wife was into WW for a few years, they use pumpkin a lot with a cake mix, do not use any oil or eggs, just a can of pumpkin, makes a decent cake that scores pretty low in WW points, and use "free" cool whip for the icing. Pumpkin is pretty nutritious too. I think some recipes used sauerkraut the same way, and maybe shredded zucchini ??

Bill
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Cucumber. Great for using with dips when cut on the diagonal (hummus, spinach dip, etc.).

I'll reiterate shrimp - when I need to get in more protein but don't have a ton of cals left, I can eat 5 - 6 oz of shrimp for less than 200 cal.

Also healthy-ier (uncured, unpreserved) deli meat - Kroger Simple Truth Uncured Black Forest Ham is 60 cal per 2 oz and the Smoked Turkey is 50 cal per 2 oz. Applegate Farms Organic Uncured Turkey Hot Dogs are only 50 cal each, too.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Fudgsicles! Only 40 calories for a fudgesicle! I have one every night!
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tilapia
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My wife was into WW for a few years, they use pumpkin a lot with a cake mix, do not use any oil or eggs, just a can of pumpkin, makes a decent cake that scores pretty low in WW points, and use "free" cool whip for the icing. Pumpkin is pretty nutritious too. I think some recipes used sauerkraut the same way, and maybe shredded zucchini ??

Bill

How cool, I'll have to look into it! (I'm in Australia, where pumpkin isn't as popular in everyday cooking, so we don't have cans of pumpkin, I'll have to mash it the old fashioned way ;) )
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    The two that come to mind are:

Solero Exotic ice cream bars - 94 calories
    Bounty candy bars - 130 calories

Mmmmmm...
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Ribena Ice Lollies - 50
    Hartleys 10 cal Jelly - erm 10
  • 95Tashey95
    95Tashey95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bacon is a good one

I quite like a bccon buttie with crustless bread. I never liked crusts anyway and when you cut them off its almost the same weight of just one slice of bread so why bother eating it if I don't like it lol