Surprisngly low in cals?

Options

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bacon. 2 strip for 70-80 calories but so much flavor and since it has fat it sticks with me. Large Coffee, 2 Splenda, cup of lo fat milk and side of bacon is my favorite drive thru breakfast and only 180 calories.
    Eggplant. So low in calories you almost don't need to log it.

Eggplant? What about the breading, oil for frying, and mozzarella cheese? :happy:
  • kencarpenter792
    kencarpenter792 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    no salt added green beans. an entire can is only 70 calories. just to put that into perspective, you can eat 20 cans of green beans and still only be at 1400 calories. :-)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Fudgesicles. Always fudgesicles.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    10 calories for 30 g of Mr Jack's Salsa. NOM.

Spinach. I did not realize that spinach was 85 grams for 1 serving. Yum. And only 20 calories.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Lean steak :love: It's not "low" calorie, but easier than I expected to fit in.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Guinness!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Beetroot. I know it's a vegetable, but it feels so solid, sweet and substantial that I feel it should have more calories! (About 35 calories for a good sized one, or about 26 for the ones in the vacuum packs).

Packets of cold, sliced meat. If it's sliced thin, it's obviously going to be low in calories, but it still sometimes surprises me to see 5-6 calorie slices.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - I was guessing around 250 - 300 calories. They're actually 180 calories each.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

With my low calorie goal, I find it almost impossible to fit beef in anywhere, regardless of how lean it is. Maybe I'm not finding the accurate food entries...

Surprisingly, I've enjoyed life pretty well with minimal amounts of beef and meat, in general, owing the favor to my vegetarian wife.
  • lealeass
    lealeass Posts: 3
    Options
    Celery. You burn more calories digesting and chewing it, then you do eating it.
    Pink and white marshmallow wafers are 49 calories each and 0.1grams of fat. hey are huge and quite filling.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

With my low calorie goal, I find it almost impossible to fit beef in anywhere, regardless of how lean it is. Maybe I'm not finding the accurate food entries...

Surprisingly, I've enjoyed life pretty well with minimal amounts of beef and meat, in general, owing the favor to my vegetarian wife.
    I'd look into USDA entries. Search for USDA (whatever cut of beef); it's usually pretty accurate. Also, with only 20lbs left to lose and being a male, your calories shouldn't be all that low. Make sure your calorie target is accurate too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I'm amazed at asparagus (dude, it's better than broccoli!) and twizzlers. Not together though...
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Beetroot. I know it's a vegetable, but it feels so solid, sweet and substantial that I feel it should have more calories! (About 35 calories for a good sized one, or about 26 for the ones in the vacuum packs).

Packets of cold, sliced meat. If it's sliced thin, it's obviously going to be low in calories, but it still sometimes surprises me to see 5-6 calorie slices.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs - I was guessing around 250 - 300 calories. They're actually 180 calories each.

Actually, I think they're 150. Maybe you're thinking about the caramel ones? Either way, what a bang for your buck! So good.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I was surprised how low in calories PB2 is, but maybe I shouldn't have been. It's great to be able to have my protein shake or oatmeal with peanut butter flavor in it without having use up almost 200 calories.

Also, pretzels. I usually only eat them on the odd weekend day, but 120 calories for 24 pretzels ain't too shabby.
    The donuts I get are only around 200 each! I don't know why they get such a bad rap!

Krispy Kreme donuts are around 350 calories each. They're the only ones I'll eat and I could never eat just one. It's best for me to avoid them altogether, which is surprisingly easy considering I'd have to go WAY out of my way to hit up a Krispy Kreme.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

This doesn't sound quite right. How low is your calorie goal. Take a look at my diary from last night - flank steak is very easy to fit in and that 7.5 oz was an enormous portion...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

This doesn't sound quite right. How low is your calorie goal. Take a look at my diary from last night - flank steak is very easy to fit in and that 7.5 oz was an enormous portion...

+1
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Salmon and sea bass. I knew about the salmon but not the sea bass.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Salmon and sea bass. I knew about the salmon but not the sea bass.

Salmon? No way. I don't think you realize how tiny a 3oz serving is... and that's 180 calories.

Cod is very low calories though. Love it.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. I get the Breakstone's low sodium version. Only 180 calories for a whole cup of it and it kills hunger for almost forever. If I add some PB2 in it.....heaven for under 200 calories. Best snack EVER.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, like the 2nd person in the thread mentioned.

Lettuce. Tomatoes. Apricots!

Cottage cheese and 0% fat Greek yogurt!

Eggs-- I am still amazed at how low-cal they are.

And, the two things that really surprised me-- my homemade tapioca pudding (125ish cals for about 3/4 cup, which is the serving size I use) and the chocolate-dipped coconut macaroons I learned to make when I worked at a bakery. I am sworn to keep the recipe a secret, since the baker invented it herself and that's where most of her income comes from (the macaroons are super popular!) but I made them so many times I memorized the exact recipe. I make them myself now for family and friends-- and the sugar/honey/coconut/chocolate globs are only 126 calories each! I thought they'd come in around 300 or so. . . .
  • TheGreatBeyond
    Options
    Egg whites... First time I looked at the nutrition label, I was like "what is this sorcery?"
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    One Costco Chocolate Chunk cookie...a mere 210 cals. On a heathier note, chard...15 cals per cup I think, or maybe it was 2 cups, either way, low.