What's wrong with "added sugar"?

Options
Kotuliak
Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
This is a question for those who believe there is something wrong with "added sugar," and who are trying to cut it from their diet.

About half of my sugar comes from ~5 servings of fruit a day, and half from "added sugar," e.g. soda, ice cream, brown sugar in my oatmeal, etc.

How is the "added sugar" any different (i.e. worse) than the non-added sugar coming from the fruits? Personally, I cannot think of a reason, or a rational argument, that supports that view. So, if there is one, I'd like to hear it.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The only thing wrong with "added sugar" is when you don't know it's there. If you add it yourself and log it--no problem. For people that are trying to control their sugar intake, they have to rigorously control everything, since sometimes it's "snuck in" under different names and forms.

By the way--great profile pic! :smile:
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I limit sugar because I have PCOS and it kicks off some crazy cravings in me that cause me to really struggle not to go over my calories. But unless it's a very low sugar fruit such as strawberries or blueberries...... fruit also can kick off my cravings.

I love bananas but within 10 minutes of eating one I want a chocolate bar or 10 and find it hard to think of anything else.

If I wasn't insulin resistant I would love to eat sweets every day! I tried it with limiting things like that is harder than cutting it out for me.

I think the only benefit of natural occuring sugars in fruits over candy is the additional benefits from fruits such as fibre which you are unlikely to get with chocolate or icecream. But as far as the sugar is concerned....from what I have read I believe your body treats the sugar in fruits exactly the same as it treats the sugar in a candy bar.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    inb4sugarfearmongering
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    This is a question for those who believe there is something wrong with "added sugar," and who are trying to cut it from their diet.

About half of my sugar comes from ~5 servings of fruit a day, and half from "added sugar," e.g. soda, ice cream, brown sugar in my oatmeal, etc.

How is the "added sugar" any different (i.e. worse) than the non-added sugar coming from the fruits? Personally, I cannot think of a reason, or a rational argument, that supports that view. So, if there is one, I'd like to hear it.

There's nothing right about sugar either.

Simple sugars are empty calories and non essential and if you are looking to reduce your calorie intake so you can be in a calorie deficit to drop weight, then they are an easy option - the low hanging fruit!

Most people will look to cut back on sugar in candy, soda's and other junk food. I should think most people who embark on the sugar cutting journey will not reduce it much from fruit and veggies, as those offer vitamins and fibre in more substantial quantities than junk food (based on nutrient to calories ratio).
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    In for "trigger foods" and sugar toxins
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I know there are days where I am going to burn a lot of calories and I depend on high fat sugary foods to help me meet my calorie goal and for the energy. I know I will make my protein macro later in the day by eating a lot of chicken and a shake. Hasn't hurt my weight loss and it's not a daily thing.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    In for science and gifs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    In for science and gifs.

IO73HY.gif
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    homer-sugar-o.gif
  • TheBrolympus
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    2a0gbo0.gif
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between fruit and soda. While sugar is, in fact, sugar, the nutritional content and fiber in a food does make a difference. That isn't to say that there is anything "wrong" or "right" with added sugar. I enjoy foods with added sugar daily.

I think putting a moral value on food is odd. Eat what you enjoy, in moderation, and be sure it fits into your own goals. Some people (myself included) choose to limit the added sugar in our diets. Mine is for a medical reason. For others, it might just be because their body feels better that way, or just because they want to. In reality, the important thing is achieving your goals. If you can do that while having ice cream and cookies, then have them! But there isn't anything "wrong" with choosing to limit or avoid those foods either.
  • TheBrolympus
    Options
    I think putting a moral value on food is odd. Eat what you enjoy, in moderation, and be sure it fits into your own goals.
    Yea, what's up with all the cupcake shaming! Think of the cupcakes, people!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IMO, added sugar is only an issue if it comes at the expense of other vital macros and micros. This all depends on your own personal goals. If you have met your requirement and want food with added sugar I see no issue.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    There's nothing "wrong" with it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It's tasty. :)
    No food is 'essential'.

As I believe you're agreed before - it's not really a case of ensuring ALL your food has a high ratio of micro nutrients to calories, but that you get an appropriate range of micronutrients from the foods you eat.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    There's nothing "wrong" with it.

In moderation.

Some of the best nutritionists agree that a limited intake of sugar and junk food in general is advised.

But in moderation sugar is sugar - it's neutral.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    It's tasty. :)
    No food is 'essential'.

As I believe you're agreed before - it's not really a case of ensuring ALL your food has a high ratio of micro nutrients to calories, but that you get an appropriate range of micronutrients from the foods you eat.

Agreed, I was just making the point that a lot of people cut sugar to get into a calorie deficit, which we all agree is what the goal is weight loss.

If someone has hit their macros and micros and there's still calories left, then why not enjoy a junk food - I would.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Simple sugars are empty calories and non essential and if you are looking to reduce your calorie intake so you can be in a calorie deficit to drop weight, then they are an easy option - the low hanging fruit!

Most people will look to cut back on sugar in candy, soda's and other junk food. I should think most people who embark on the sugar cutting journey will not reduce it much from fruit and veggies, as those offer vitamins and fibre in more substantial quantities than junk food (based on nutrient to calories ratio).

"empty calories" ain't no such animal.

If it has calories, it provides energy, it it provides energy it isn't empty.
    Within a reasonably balanced diet there is NO NEED to cut back on sugars.

moderation...

ETA: I see you agree with this anyhow.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The "added sugar" I take issue with is where it's not necessary. I've got a 3 and 9 year old that love applesauce. Healthy right? It's fruit you say. The calories difference between "applesauce" and "no sugar added" applesauce is 110kcal vs 60kcal. You know what "no sugar added" applesauce tastes like? Apples. Shocking I know.

Adding sugar to fruit juices, applesauce, bread, etc is where I draw the line. Adding sugar (yourself) to oatmeal, coffee, etc - as other said: log it and know what you're doing and it's your business not mine.